Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2022, 09:00 AM

Default Osteoarthritis meds ??

So seen my doc.She said osteo,but in the wrist.She reccomends xtra strength Tylenol, So what do people take,up to 8 pills now a day.thanks
Old 07-17-2022, 09:19 AM

There are a number of things you can have prescribed.....aside from reducing your hand usage.

CAUTION: you are already at 8 extra Tylenol / day......be careful self medicating...I personally use a gel...diclofenac gel 10%...prescription.

Good luck....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 07-17-2022, 11:32 AM

Vimovo - it’s naproxen with a stomach protective medication (esomeprazole) as a coating. Prescription and more expensive but won’t mess up your insides as much.

Enjoying my 6th consecutive month of rehab.

Hydrolysed cartilage migrates to areas of injury to help repairs, so a cartilage supplement or daily cup of bone broth will help. So will daily high quality fish oil.

There is a push/pull with anti inflammatory meds. They can reduce pain enough to help you do physio but they slow your immune systems response and can delay healing. And yes, osteoarthritis can improve (at least somewhat) and you will probably always have flare ups that require anti inflammatory meds. Treatment is finding the best possible balance.
Old 07-17-2022, 11:42 AM

I have arthritis in my knees and have found some relief from a natural topical salve made with dandelions (Google dandelion salve) . My daughter makes it and I was sceptical but it does seem to help.
Apparently dandelions have some anti inflammatory properties . Or it could just be the result of massaging it into the knees ,either way it seems to help.

There are recipes for making the stuff online

Although I haven’t tried it I have heard of people getting results from CBD oil as well
Old 07-17-2022, 12:34 PM

Default Welcome to the club

I too share these problems. Diagnosis is not easy, it may be fibromyalgia, or a number of other arthritis types that I can’t spell.
The meds I am on and we are still tinkering with the doses, codine for pain, prednisone for arthritis and Tylenol.
If my doc and I ever get the amount and frequency of all these meds, I’ll be happy to share.
Still have good and bad days.
Old 07-17-2022, 12:43 PM

Don't laugh, I know people that swear by this stuff. It is available on Amazon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH5VwTDoS8Y

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-17-2022, 12:53 PM

Man I feel for you. I have the same diagnosis except in my hands/fingers. Heat has been my best relief so far. I got so sick of loads of meds that hurt my stomach but only barely reduced my hand pain. Its almost comical when a doc says hey you have ..... in your hands, thumbs and fingers....best thing you can do is reduce using them as much as possible....
Old 07-17-2022, 12:59 PM

The Mrs has had excellent relic to Osteio pain by using CBD oil, taken internally.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-17-2022, 02:02 PM

I have a bad right knee from Osteoarthritis due to an injury a few years ago. Try taking 3 mg of Boron twice a day, it cuts down on the pain dramatically after a week or two for most people. In my case it worked in a couple of days. Rarely have to take an Aleve now unless I over do it. Got rid of the chronic pain. Costs about $38 for 250. That is one place where Amazon is WAY cheaper than local. Did a lot of research before taking it, found no conflicts with other meds, or ailments.

Old 07-17-2022, 03:27 PM

Just got a new hip at a clinic in Toronto and the use
Advil, Tylenol but not Aleve

The surgery was awesome , one pain pill an hour after surgery that that's all compared to too too many daily
Old 07-17-2022, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Vimovo - it’s naproxen with a stomach protective medication (esomeprazole) as a coating. Prescription and more expensive but won’t mess up your insides as much.
Vimeo is what our doc prescribes my wife. Helps the tummy. You are taking too many, and you’re gonna get an ulcer. You don’t want that.

I get pain though. Hard.
Old 07-31-2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have a bad right knee from Osteoarthritis due to an injury a few years ago. Try taking 3 mg of Boron twice a day, it cuts down on the pain dramatically after a week or two for most people. In my case it worked in a couple of days. Rarely have to take an Aleve now unless I over do it. Got rid of the chronic pain. Costs about $38 for 250. That is one place where Amazon is WAY cheaper than local. Did a lot of research before taking it, found no conflicts with other meds, or ailments.

I got my wife to try it based on this suggestion.
She asked me to say Thanks
Old 07-31-2022, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
I got my wife to try it based on this suggestion.
She asked me to say Thanks

Very glad it helped her too. I found out about it on a similar thread on the Long Range Hunting Forum. The guy that posted about it provided a ton of detail and answered a lot of questions, it has helped a lot of guys on there too.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:

Just placed an order with Amazon, worth a shot.

Old 07-31-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
Just placed an order with Amazon, worth a shot.

I can't seem to find it on amazon. You have a link perhaps?
Old 07-31-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
I can't seem to find it on amazon. You have a link perhaps?
One hundred pack if you are trying it out. Once you know it works for you the larger size is available but on checking prices it is actually cheaper to buy it in the 100 packs. 250 was 38 bucks.
https://www.amazon.ca/Now-Foods-NOW-...9288024&sr=8-5

2 pack of 250 each, but at 57 bucks still more than ordering 5x100.

https://www.amazon.ca/NOW-Foods-Boro...9288571&sr=8-8

Last edited by Dean2; 07-31-2022 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:

Thats good to know thanks.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 07-31-2022, 12:12 PM

Quote:
One hundred pack if you are trying it out. Once you know it works for you the larger size is available but on checking prices it is actually cheaper to buy it in the 100 packs. 250 was 38 bucks.
https://www.amazon.ca/Now-Foods-NOW-...9288024&sr=8-5

2 pack of 250 each, but at 57 bucks still more than ordering 5x100.

https://www.amazon.ca/NOW-Foods-Boro...9288571&sr=8-8
thanks
Old 08-26-2022, 07:45 AM

Default Boron

Interestingly enough, awhile back I ordered the Boron and have been taking 1 - 3 mg in the morning and 1 - 3 mg after lunch. No pain in the old knees since. Not ready to pass judgement yet, but the results are encouraging.
Old 08-26-2022, 09:55 AM
Suspended User

I use Equate brand Arthritis. My wife bought me Tylenol Arthritis because it was cheaper, and once again I got sick. Diarrhea daily, over a week of nosebleeds, some extreme. I stopped taking it and just like that, symptoms gone. So got a full bottle of pills for anyone else. Apparently, there is something in the chemical binders that causes this problem.
Old 08-26-2022, 11:37 AM

I treat my arthritis with CBD oils and soft gels.
Only on extreme days I’ll take Tylenol or Ibuprofen. THC/CBD helps most times.
Regular yoga and monthly chiro seem to be helping as well.
I also find Medistick to be useful for minor pain along with Voltaren.
After a few years of CBD treatment the arthritis in my ankle has reduced significantly.
YMMV
Old 08-26-2022, 01:25 PM

I too am a member of the osteo club with moderate in both knees. not quite bad enough for replacement yet. I use Naproxen sporadically preventative prior to hiking , golfing and other low level leisure acitvities and am aware of the health risks of that drug so looking for effective alternatives. usually ten minutes post exercise/activity with an icepack on each knee settles down the pain. I just put in first order for the Boron 3mg ( $10 for 100). Of course weight loss is always helpful but not easy and bungalows are essential. I do miss skiing and now curl with a stick ...sigh.
Old 08-26-2022, 01:49 PM
Banned

I've got it in the right wrist and both knees. There are times I can't hold onto anything with my right hand. As such, my penmanship is pretty non existent. On many occasions, I've been taking tylenol when needed for pain.
Old 08-26-2022, 03:04 PM

Quote:

I just ordered 300 so here is hoping. I appreciate the info.
Old 08-26-2022, 05:00 PM

Started taking the Boron pills a week ago, definitely feel more get up and go.
Old 08-26-2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
Started taking the Boron pills a week ago, definitely feel more get up and go.
Glad to hear it is helping so many guys. It usually works for about 80% of those that try it and so far we seem to be batting above the average. Hope that keeps up.
Old 08-26-2022, 05:29 PM

Well I got the same issue with both my knees. I take Naproxen "as needed", and it works fine. Usually when I know I will overdo it (ie. golfing, cutting wood, building decks, hunting, or any other activities etc, etc).

Having said that, I hate prescription pills. I will try this Boron and see how it goes. Thanx for the tip Dean2!...
Old 08-26-2022, 08:48 PM

Been using Webber - Glucosamine-Chondroitin from Costco, jumped on this thread & ordered some Boron to see if there's any difference. As well, added some Turmeric caps to my Amazon order.

Been using both products since my stem cell procedure & PRP booster shots in my lower back, been 5 years now & definitely experiencing benefits.

Cheers

David

Old 08-27-2022, 07:54 AM

Eliminate all processed carbs and try to eat primarily meat and non night shade vegetables for at least 6 weeks. For me, inflammation and arthritic stiffness is just gone. It’s amazing, just feel absolutely prime, then I go and eat pizza + drink beer and ruin it.
Old 08-27-2022, 11:26 AM

I ordered some Boron from Amazon, they refunded my money, I think you guys bought it all