Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-27-2014, 06:19 PM

The U.S. actually used crossbows in 'nam, but I think that would be classed as "short range sniping", more like ambush gorilla tactics!
Cat
Old 07-27-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The U.S. actually used crossbows in 'nam, but I think that would be classed as "short range sniping", more like ambush gorilla tactics!
Cat
Reminds me of that Episode from Hogan's Heroes, where Col, Crittendon wants to assassinate Kommandant Klink with the crossbow...

10 points if you get this reference

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 07-27-2014, 10:39 PM

Where could I get myself a sniper crossbow?
Old 07-27-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
Reminds me of that Episode from Hogan's Heroes, where Col, Crittendon wants to assassinate Kommandant Klink with the crossbow...

Yep, Crittendon's crossbows. A unit that would've lost the war for sure.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:21 AM

Just when you think you've seen it all......
Old 07-28-2014, 04:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I think a sniper crossbow is not something that actually exists, as its not something a sniper would actually use (being less efficient/ more prone to windage issues/ lacking range, etc). Its splitting hairs, but I'm trying to assist you in not getting teased on the matter. Really the term 'sniper rifle' could apply to any heavy barreled target rifle with a large scope, but generally most hunters and target shooters don't use the term as we don't want the public to relate our hunting pursuits to the killing of humans which the term 'sniper' generally seems to imply.

As for hunting with a sniper rifle, one would assume you mean a heavy barreled model; these are not ideal for anything but still hunting due to their weight. Typically a person adept at shooting will not need a multitude of shots to down their quarry, so the long strings of fire afforded by a heavier barrel lose their lustre when compared to a regular barrel profile that will be accurate for as many shots as a person proficient with it will need. Most rifle hunting kills are sub 250 yard shots, which is where hunting and shooting diverge. A hunter can close the distance to his quarry, and this demands other skill sets in addition to just good marksmanship.

Also, I suggest that you check the hunting regs, one cannot use a rifle of any sort for hunting geese.
The term Sniper has changed from it's original meaning. A sniper used to refer to a member of the English gentry who used to hunt snipe with a very accurate small caliber rifle. Because they were so accurate, the term has become known now as one who shoots from very long distances, generally at humans.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post

The movie "Wild Geese" come to mind where a brit merc uses one with cyanide capsules to take out enemy guards in towers.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:47 AM

Too much video games for this mooseguy
Old 07-28-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
The movie "Wild Geese" come to mind where a brit merc uses one with cyanide capsules to take out enemy guards in towers.
Actually the character played by the German actor Hardy Kruger, was supposidly from South Africa(Peter Curtzie)...............

There are no absolutes
Old 07-28-2014, 09:15 AM

Just started, asks an odd question, gets himself banned. Welcome and goodbye I guess. That's too bad.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:36 AM

The mooseguy kind of triggered a collective allergic reaction. The thought of a(nother) clueless sniper-video addled guy hunting within rifle shot of me is chilling.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Just started, asks an odd question, gets himself banned. Welcome and goodbye I guess. That's too bad.
No kidding, you figured everyone knew there hasn't been sniper crossbows since the province did away with the feral cow hunts
Old 07-28-2014, 09:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat in the Cat View Post
No kidding, you figured everyone knew there hasn't been sniper crossbows since the province did away with the feral cow hunts
and pool noodles!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-28-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Cat
Seriously? Have never seen any reference to Crossbows being issued to US forces in Viet Nam. I'd toss that thing away, first opportunity.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:49 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Cat
WOW! I saw a video clip of a chimp with an AK47, but a Gorilla with a crossbow? Dang !!!that is spooky.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-28-2014, 10:59 AM

During the 20th century crossbows continued to play a role in modern warfare. The "Arrowspeed" crossbow was used by Australian commandos during World War 2 in the Pacific Theatre. From the mid twentieth century through the Vietnam conflict, the Montagnard people of southern Asia used crossbows in their many conflicts. They also used them while supporting American forces during the Vietnam War years.

American military personnel also used crossbows as a silent weapon in the jungle and for secret reconnaissance missions. Crossbows have also been used as support equipment by the military and law enforcement for such things as propelling climbing ropes, draw lines and for numerous other more secretive purposes.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/3877948
Old 07-28-2014, 11:41 AM

If I decide to hunt "sniper rifles" can anyone suggest a way to cook one? What sort of habitat do they prefer? Do I need to ask permission to hunt "moms basements"? If I play "call of duty" will that simulate a real scenario...? I am new to sniper rifle hunting....need help!

LC
Old 07-28-2014, 11:47 AM

Modern military and paramilitary use[edit]

In modern times crossbows are no longer used for assassinations, but there are still some applications. For example, in the Americas, the Peruvian army (Ejército) equips some soldiers with crossbows and rope, to establish a zip-line in difficult terrain.[44] In Brazil the CIGS (Jungle Warfare Training Center) also trains soldiers in the use of crossbows.[45][46] In the United States, SAA International Ltd manufacture a 150 ft·lb crossbow-launched version of the U.S. Army type classified Launched Grapnel Hook (LGH), among other mine countermeasure solutions designed for the middle-eastern theatre. It has been successfully evaluated in Cambodia and Bosnia.[47] It is used to probe for and detonate tripwire initiated mines and booby traps at up to 50 meters. The concept is similar to the LGH device originally only fired from a rifle, as a plastic retrieval line is attached.[48] Reusable up to 20 times, the line can be reeled back in without exposing oneself. The device is of particular use in tactical situations where noise discipline is important.[49]

A pistol crossbow
In Europe, British-based Barnett International supplied crossbows to Serbian forces which according to The Guardian were later used "in ambushes and as a counter-sniper weapon", against the Kosovo Liberation Army during the Kosovo War in the areas of Pec and Djakovica, south west of Kosovo.[50] Whitehall launched an investigation, though the department of trade and industry established that not being "on the military list" crossbows were not covered by such export regulations. Paul Beaver of Jane's defence publications commented that, "They are not only a silent killer, they also have a psychological effect". On 15 February 2008 Serbian Minister of Defence Dragan Sutanovac was pictured testing a Barnett crossbow during a public exercise of the Serbian army's Special Forces in Nis, 200 km south of capital Belgrade.[51] Special forces in both Greece and Turkey also continue to employ the crossbow.[52][53] Spain's Green Berets still use the crossbow as well.[54]

In Asia, Chinese armed forces use crossbows at all unit levels from traffic police to the special force Snow Leopard Commando Unit of the People's Armed Police and the People's Liberation Army. One justification for this comes in the crossbow's ability to stop persons carrying explosives without risk of causing detonation.[55] Furthermore, during the Xinjiang riots of July 2009, crossbows were used alongside modern military hardware to quell protestors.[56] The Indian Navy's Marine Commando Force were equipped until the late 1980s with crossbows supplied with cyanide-tipped bolts, as an alternative to suppressed handguns.[57]

Old 07-28-2014, 11:48 AM

I'm late in my reply that I forgot,as I had to get more screen wipes to clean the coffee off...good humor this morning...
Old 07-28-2014, 12:03 PM

When I was a kid I used to hunt them snipers. I found the 410 to be the most effective "sniper" rifle. I tried using a 12 ga but it did too much damage. Haven't hunted snipers in years, just found there wasn't enough meat on them and mom always complained that it was to difficult putting in the stuffing.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
Seriously? Have never seen any reference to Crossbows being issued to US forces in Viet Nam. I'd toss that thing away, first opportunity.
Of course I have , I don't post stuff that Is a rumour I may have heard !
It was an article in the American Rifleman many years ago but I will never forget it . It also included sub sonic rounds as well as a shortened version of the 458 may have been the 458 American that Barnes was working At the time , can't remember exactly
Cat
Old 07-28-2014, 01:41 PM

Some scary stuff on this forum.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
When I was a kid I used to hunt them snipers. I found the 410 to be the most effective "sniper" rifle. I tried using a 12 ga but it did too much damage. Haven't hunted snipers in years, just found there wasn't enough meat on them and mom always complained that it was to difficult putting in the stuffing.
You got to use your little finger and push real hard to put the stuffin in a sniper!

Old 07-28-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-71 View Post
Some scary stuff on this forum.
What makes you say that?
Old 07-28-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
Bigmoosemurphy. Either you are genuinely starting on the ground floor or you are trolling. Take the hunter's ed course. Take your PAL course. Buy a .22 bolt action rifle and learn to shoot. Be aware of what it means to respect nature. And if you go out in the woods to practice with your .22 recognize that respect starts with absolute zero footprint. Pack out everything you bring in (that includes brass). Along the way you will learn what you need to learn and others will help you. Asking questions is never bad. Just keep your questions to the point.

And a word of advise: don't use the expression sniper anything. It has no place in the woods. Call of duty does not teach you how to shoot or hunt.

If you are trolling don't expect to live much past 30 posts.
Colin
(Bold and underline added)

Care to revise your estimate to 21 posts? LOL

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 07-28-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
What makes you say that?
People who are planning to get "sniper rifles" but refuse to take safety course
Old 07-28-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-71 View Post
People who are planning to get "sniper rifles" but refuse to take safety course
You do realize that the OP was nothing but a troll and started all these posts just to get the members up in arms?
It wouldn't surprise me at all if he has been hunting for many years and knew exactly what the law is about PAL's, archery tackle, rifles, and hunting laws......
Cat
Old 07-28-2014, 05:14 PM

Default loose trolls

Figured bmm was just that. I also figure about a ten percent chance he was a somewhat dim, woefully uninformed and clearly eager individual a few years shy of his claimed 29. That was until a few glimmers of intellect trickled through.

Either case I chose not to take the bait.

Colin
Old 07-28-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
Figured bmm was just that. I also figure about a ten percent chance he was a somewhat dim, woefully uninformed and clearly eager individual a few years shy of his claimed 29. That was until a few glimmers of intellect trickled through.

Either case I chose not to take the bait.

Colin
OK, ok, sorry I must have missed the "glimmers". Feel safer now
Old 07-29-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
You do realize that the OP was nothing but a troll and started all these posts just to get the members up in arms?
It wouldn't surprise me at all if he has been hunting for many years and knew exactly what the law is about PAL's, archery tackle, rifles, and hunting laws......
Cat
Surely now you believe in reincarnation.

He's been on here before, different name, different approach...but same troll!