Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-26-2014, 12:51 AM

Default CZ 750 just finished

I bought a cz 750 a year ago as I lost the use of my legs 2 years ago and couldn't do the running around with a pistol competition stuff. So I thought I would get into long range shooting and learn some of the finer aspects of firearms use.

I took a online gun course and a few machining courses while I was sick and pillar bedded the action. I also removed all the rough texture they had on it and gave it a house of kolor paint job with a super thick clear ( the finger prints are gonna drive me nuts but it looks so sexy ) and finished it off with a vortex viper pst scope in mils. I was gonna grab a nightforce beast but they are apparently unavailable right now. I have a bunch of test ammo I made personaly in varied gun powder loads to try and harmonicly tune this monster. I went with 175 hpbt in 308 win of course with lapua brass, federal primers and varied weights of varget powder from 42 grain too 46. I even grabbed a range finder and spotting scope.
Now i am being told by some people I've talked to while looking for a place to shoot that the closest place for long range is golden and that homestead range is either too busy or won't let you use their long ranges and that it's impossible to join clubs around calgary.
Please tell me this is BS and if you belong to a good club or know of any long range ranges that would be interested in helping a guy learn the trade of long range shooting please help.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:14 AM

The PCFGA (Peace River) has concrete sidewalks and wheel chair access to pistol bay and rifle range and even the outhouse. Range is 500 meters with gongs and target boards every 100M. If you're up in this area I would be happy to shoot with you at this range. There are other private land opportunities to shoot steel at greater distance but these are dependent on haying and harvesting.

I realize this is a quite a distance for you, however the invitation is valid. When you get your rifle tuned and shooting the KTSA in Kamloops has F-class shoots every month of the year. Their range is 300 and 500 meters. Firing line is covered cement pad.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:39 AM

It's been almost 2 years since my medical problem I am walking pretty good these days but with the help of a leg brace, I just got rid of the cane finally. But thank you very much for the invitation I will take you up on it. I just need to zero my scope and work my reloading before I start getting competitive. Thank you, they both sound like great ranges can't believe we don't have more around calgary.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:08 AM

There's the Milo range that's going in...
Old 07-26-2014, 12:29 PM

Is milo open yet I thought it was still in construction?
Old 07-27-2014, 12:26 AM

I dont' think it's open yet. However, it's in an area that will appreciate the business that the range brings in, especially if they got to go play there too...
I"ve heard november mentioned a few times...
Old 07-27-2014, 06:59 PM

Just shot 200 rounds at Homestead it was a gorgeous day and I tested a bunch of loads from 42 grain of varget to 46 in 1/2 grain increments. Looks like 43 is my sweet spot... I wish I could have reached out a bit farther but it was a nice 100 yards with a good crew of guys around.