Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-18-2014, 06:21 PM

Default BLR opinions

Hey guys, just wondering about your guys experiences or opinions on the browning blr. Looking at getting one in 223 for predator hunting, wanting a fast handling gun but not necasarily a semi auto with the bans that have come lately and i fear the mini-14 will be in line. Would like to get about 1 moa.

Thanks guys
Old 07-18-2014, 06:46 PM

Had one in .308 ,it was a nice,fast handling gun. With handloads once I got used to the trigger it could clover leaf them
Old 07-18-2014, 07:01 PM

Here too.
My 308 would keep them in an inch and a quarter.
I floated the fore stock and took some material off the barrel band so it's not touching now it groups 7/8".
Old 07-18-2014, 07:11 PM

I was thinking the pistol grip model to stay away from the barrel band, and i think they're a bit better looking.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:25 PM

had one in 358 no issues would group an inch +/- .2 depending on me

a cousin has one in 7-08 and loves it

I have had one individual tell me the rack-pinion can seize up in really cold weather

i will get another one day
Old 07-22-2014, 05:43 PM
Banned

Thumbs up Blr

Just as accurate as a bolt action,and 5 times better to look at.I prefer the straight grips,but that's me.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:46 PM

I believe there are few factory sporter rifle /shooter combinations that consistently group significantly less than 1MOA. I think groups in the 1 to 1.5 MOA with the BLR are a reasonable expectation. Yes, I have one.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:45 PM

Had one in 22-250 and loved it til the barrel went and that was totally my fault ..Wouldn't be afraid to try another .
Old 07-23-2014, 07:18 AM

I owned one about 12 years ago. Its a decent gun but i have talked about this in the past on here regarding the BLR. Its a complicated rack and pinion set up that alot of gunsmiths do not want to touch. I love leverguns and enjoyed its accuracy but i dumped it when i got to know al little bit more about the BLR model.

Here is a fella now with problems:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...90#post2498890
Old 07-23-2014, 09:16 AM

Mine was manufactured about 1976 and has the steel receiver. It has hunted at least twenty five years and the only time I had an issue was in -25C temps because I had not cleaned the oil from the action. A buddy also has one, a few years newer, who had the sprocket gear break during cold weather. The gear on his looked like a composite material, mine is metal. I think most of the newer models have an aluminum action ... Perhaps no more steel actions?
Old 07-23-2014, 10:20 AM

I have had three over the years. Ditto on the cold weather performance. Had a (very) nice buck trot by one morning.......click........crap.

I would buy another though.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:39 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=1899b;2498895]I owned one about 12 years ago. Its a decent gun but i have talked about this in the past on here regarding the BLR. Its a complicated rack and pinion set up that alot of gunsmiths do not want to touch. I love leverguns and enjoyed its accuracy but i dumped it when i got to know al little bit more about the BLR model.

The problem is you don't know enough about them.A bit of knowledge,can be a dangerous thing.I have owned,and used BLRs for more than 30 years.Human nature to be scared of something different.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:08 PM

[QUOTE=gtr;2500434]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
I owned one about 12 years ago. Its a decent gun but i have talked about this in the past on here regarding the BLR. Its a complicated rack and pinion set up that alot of gunsmiths do not want to touch. I love leverguns and enjoyed its accuracy but i dumped it when i got to know al little bit more about the BLR model.

The problem is you don't know enough about them.A bit of knowledge,can be a dangerous thing.I have owned,and used BLRs for more than 30 years.Human nature to be scared of something different.
Have you ever tried to time one? There are gunsmiths with years of experience out their that wont touch them..... Owning and using them isn't the same as getting into the mechanics of them. Enjoy your BLR's.....
Old 07-24-2014, 06:02 PM
Banned

Default Years of experience to time a BLR?

[QUOTE=1899b;2500455]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post

Have you ever tried to time one? There are gunsmiths with years of experience out their that wont touch them..... Owning and using them isn't the same as getting into the mechanics of them. Enjoy your BLR's.....
Yes,I have timed BLRs.Most people,drive cars,but have no idea how to rebuild the transmission.Thats no reason to "unload"your car,or your gun .Most things we use,we cant repair ourselves.Yes I do enjoy my BLRs.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:24 PM

[QUOTE=gtr;2500544]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post

Yes,I have timed BLRs.Most people,drive cars,but have no idea how to rebuild the transmission.Thats no reason to "unload"your car,or your gun .Most things we use,we cant repair ourselves.Yes I do enjoy my BLRs.
They are just beyond my realm of capabilities. I am quite comfortable with barrels swaps on Savage bolt guns as well as fixing firing pins, extractors and the like on my win94,s Savage 99's and Marlins is all. Plus easier to takedown for cleaning..
Old 07-24-2014, 06:29 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Its all in what you get used to.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:40 PM

I have a pistol grip in 270. Love it.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
Had one in .308 ,it was a nice,fast handling gun. With handloads once I got used to the trigger it could clover leaf them
I have one is 308, I bought it as a gun for my sons and wife.

My #1 shooter is an A bolt with a very crisp trigger, and I was never ever able to get used to the creep in the BLR trigger. In the end, I just took a hate for the trigger. My good friend's son, has had it a couple of years now......I better get that back!
Old 07-24-2014, 08:20 PM

I've had one for a few yrs. great for walking in heavier cover, quicker shooting. Did have it stick a little in colder weather once and the trigger is too heavy but I would recommend.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:19 PM

I don't like the safety configuration on the BLR, which if I'm not mistaken is a half cocked hammer. When I was approx. 16 years old on a mule deer hunt with my dad I was carrying a straight grip BLR in .243. We chambered a round right before we came over the crest of a ridge, but the does we expected to find on the other side had blown out. My dad walked down the ridge to the right, I pointed the muzzle into the ground in the front and to the left of me. The safety requires you to hold the hammer, pull the trigger and then let the hammer down to half cock. Well I had a scope on the rifle and thin gloves on as well. The hammer slipped off my thumb and I discharged the round into the dirt. That got dads attention!! Scared the crap out of me and I've never liked that gun since. With a pistol grip and a side hammer extension I think I could maybe be tempted to try another. Maybe in the .325 wsm.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:53 PM
Banned

Pre 1980 are solid in construction.

Modern manufactured are also good.

Do not try to break the sound barrier and all will be good.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellsy View Post
I don't like the safety configuration on the BLR, which if I'm not mistaken is a half cocked hammer. When I was approx. 16 years old on a mule deer hunt with my dad I was carrying a straight grip BLR in .243. We chambered a round right before we came over the crest of a ridge, but the does we expected to find on the other side had blown out. My dad walked down the ridge to the right, I pointed the muzzle into the ground in the front and to the left of me. The safety requires you to hold the hammer, pull the trigger and then let the hammer down to half cock. Well I had a scope on the rifle and thin gloves on as well. The hammer slipped off my thumb and I discharged the round into the dirt. That got dads attention!! Scared the crap out of me and I've never liked that gun since. With a pistol grip and a side hammer extension I think I could maybe be tempted to try another. Maybe in the .325 wsm.
I got a BLR when I was 14 (my first centrefire). I hunted with that gun until I was 30. It served me very well, however I too was always leery with that safety and worried that the same would happen to me. I sold it to a buddy who hunted with it for 15 years too. He felt the same. Now it is his loaner, but he's worried like crazy about letting a newer hunter use it.

There is definitely a danger of that happening. I wonder how many guys had the same thing as you?

I still love the gun though! Something about them just feels right. Might have to buy another
Old 07-25-2014, 11:18 AM

Sounds to me like the new and improved safety is not such a good system. I feel completely secure with my '76 vintage. Just leave it un-cocked when I have one in the tube while carrying ... No way it could discharge. Unload with the lever and let the hammer down on the empty chamber.
I have thought about re-barreling my BLR ... Not because it needs a new barrel, just for something different.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Sounds to me like the new and improved safety is not such a good system. I feel completely secure with my '76 vintage. Just leave it un-cocked when I have one in the tube while carrying ... No way it could discharge. Unload with the lever and let the hammer down on the empty chamber.
I have thought about re-barreling my BLR ... Not because it needs a new barrel, just for something different.
That's what I ended up doing. I hated trying to use that safety.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
Pre 1980 are solid in construction.

Modern manufactured are also good.

Do not try to break the sound barrier and all will be good.
They should be able to handle a bit more than 1116f/s.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:07 PM

Default re-sizing brass used in other rifles - need small base dies

if re-loading and using brass fired in other rifles - expect to have to use small base dies to re-size. The BLR's seems to have tight chambers.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:58 PM

I wouldn't run out to buy a small base die ... I've used Lee and Hornady FL dies without issues....just try the resized case before loading,
Old 07-28-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I wouldn't run out to buy a small base die ... I've used Lee and Hornady FL dies without issues....just try the resized case before loading,
I traded a 308 BLR to a friend, factory ammo was fine, reloads from regular dies wouldn't work, needed small base. Mayby you need them, maybe you don't.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:48 PM

At one time I owned a BLR and a Savage 99, by far the Savage was easier to carry, better balanced, for me anyway.

I traded the BLR and kept the Savage

The Savage in 243 would hit gophers out to 100 yards.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
They should be able to handle a bit more than 1116f/s.
yes