Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-08-2014, 09:15 AM

Default Hoyt carbon spyder experiences

Looking at getting into one of these, and wondering if it is worth the money. Haven't shot one yet, been looking at reviews and comparisons, and would like to get some real world input on them.

Thanks
Mark
Old 07-08-2014, 09:38 AM

I'm pretty sure that Accurate Archery has these in stock. I shot one there, earlier this year. I only took a few shots but I remember thinking it was smooth & shock free. Definitely worth a look. Plus bow shopping is fun if not expensive. lol
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 07-08-2014, 09:54 AM
Banned

I have the CST, I also have a carbon element with the RKT 2.2 cams. The draw cycle on the Spyder is incredibly smooth, even compared to the already smooth RKT. Speed wise I have a hopped up set of strings on my element, and running it at about 3lbs heavier than my CST but I'm still getting about 10fps more speed out of my CST. My element is lighter, but I have a heavier sight and quiver on it so most of the extra weight is in the accessories. Given the choice, I have been running a hoyt carbon riser since 2009 and it's really hard to go back to an aluminum riser, I haven't been able to switch back yet. I haven't got a chance to do a whole lot of shooting with my CST yet, but I like what I see so far.

Lawrence has them on the shelf at Accurate Archery for you to test drive, I highly recommend paying him a visit.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:18 PM

Wifey has a carbon spyder 30 and I have the 34.

Unbelievable bows!
Old 07-09-2014, 09:25 PM

I just Bought the Faktor. love it!! i shot both the spyder and the Faktor a lot. Very minimal difference, the spyder is warmer to the touch, so if your worried about a cold hand if you bow hunt in november the spyder would be nice.(i just opt for a warmer glove) lol. A minimal feel difference in vibration, Spyder a little less. Both have the Z5 cam and a 1/2, and is amazing pull. And last but not least the $600 price difference. Love my new Faktor. and it got a few new upgrades for the $600 i saved!!
Old 07-09-2014, 10:00 PM

Hoyt's carbon bows are grossly over priced IMHO. I use to have a 2012 matrix it was alright. I found it didn't hold as well as a slightly heavier aluminum bow. I just have a hard time spending 1500+ on a bare bow that depreciates so quickly. Also on my carbon matrix the finish was junk. From the moment go paint flaked off all over the riser.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:43 AM

I have a Hoyt carbon spyder and i absolutely love it. I had a 2012 carbon element before and the biggest difference I've noticed, is I can pull more pounds with my spyder then the element. And it feels really fast. So far I think it's been an amazing bow!
Old 07-10-2014, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the info. I think I'll head down to accurate archery then and try one out. I have been using the same bow for about 8 yrs now, and feel it's time for an upgrade. Been shooting a Mathews DXT, and have had no issues with it, but have been thinkin carbon as I bow hunt through Nov.

Thanks again
Mark
Old 07-10-2014, 10:18 PM

Its an unreal bow if you don't mind the price tag on it!
Old 07-11-2014, 08:44 AM
Banned

Default Spider

Buy the best that you can afford, dont have any regrets with that approach. Just my 2 cents....
Old 07-11-2014, 09:26 AM

worst mistake I made was letting Lawrence talk me into shooting one, now I want one lol, anyone wanna trade one for an apa or helim loaded
Old 07-12-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaya428 View Post
I just Bought the Faktor. love it!! i shot both the spyder and the Faktor a lot. Very minimal difference, the spyder is warmer to the touch, so if your worried about a cold hand if you bow hunt in november the spyder would be nice.(i just opt for a warmer glove) lol. A minimal feel difference in vibration, Spyder a little less. Both have the Z5 cam and a 1/2, and is amazing pull. And last but not least the $600 price difference. Love my new Faktor. and it got a few new upgrades for the $600 i saved!!
Agreed. I bought the Faktor aswell.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:50 AM

I love my spyder turbo can't go wrong with one.