Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2023, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
As we remember all of our fallen I thought I would impart some interesting facts to impress on you the sacrifices made by those who served.

A fellow SAR Tech did a little research and came up with these staggering numbers:

WW1 619,636 served, 59,544 died, casualty rate 1 in 10
WW2 1,000,000 served, 45,000 died, casualty rate 1 in 22
Korean War 26,000 served, 516 died, casualty rate 1 in 50
Afghanistan 40,000 served, 158 died, casualty rate 1 in 253
SAR Techs 650 served, 14 died, casualty rate 1 in 46

"We will remember them"
Those figures exclude the wounded; including the wounded, ~35% of the men who served in WWI were either killed or wounded.

Brutal.
Old 11-11-2023, 04:07 PM

Father-in-law did 36 missions as top gunner in a Lancaster for Bomber Command...I think they could have rolled out after 8 missions but the TeaM kept it rolling...one mission everyone around them were falling like flies outa the sky and the they were scared like never before...at one point he looked out over the wing and saw an Angel sitting on the wing tip.. he watched the Angel who remained there until the flak stopped and they turned for home...when they returned he converted to RC.and went on to raise five kids... a ton of unpaid or recognized public service...inaugural service in the make a wish foundation upstart in the day...oodles of hospital fundraisers...and on and on...and never spoke a word to it... sure he had his foibles ... but like all the rest the world became a better place cuz they were there