Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2022, 08:36 AM

Default Smoker question

Hi all
I read through a lot of the pinned pages on smoker food etc. but need more specifics. I am thinking about a traeger pellet smoker. However, this past summer I bought a Napoleon grill, new firetable, ran a double gas line to back deck etc. Spent some bucks but more of the question is space now on the back deck. I see the Pro 22 and the 575 model are smaller and wondering if some here went that route and found it to be a bit too small? I guess it depends on how one is using it and such. I can't go to big on the grill due to the space, furniture, etc. Looking at lightly used or new.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 09-26-2022, 10:58 AM

If you mostly cook just for you and your family, either of those should be good.
If you entertain often, want to cook larger pieces of meat (turkey etc) or if you plan to do lots of appys/jerky etc I would strongly recommend you get the largest one that you can fit on your deck. You will not go wrong with a pellet grill, they are fantastic.
Old 09-26-2022, 11:49 AM
Banned

I was after a Traeger myself for a while but got sidelined with a Kamado Joe and ended up liking it very much, since then I stopped with my search.

If you do go for a pellet grill the one thing I often read about was the lack of insulation making longer overnight and winter cooks tough. I think there are insulated Traegers now so maybe take that into account.

The other thing to consider if space is an issue is getting something that is vertical standing like a Weber Smoky Mountain or barrel smoker, although those wouldn't be pellet.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:33 PM

I had a traeger for a couple years and I turned into a pellet grill mechanic swapping our parts to keep it running. I have replaced that unit with a Louisiana Grill and have been really happy. I went from the large Traeger to a midsize LG, happy with this decision, I think I burn through less pellets now. I can cook a brisket or a few racks of ribs, no problem.
Old 09-26-2022, 01:27 PM

Thank you all for replies.
Old 09-26-2022, 05:56 PM

I use a Bradley. Smokes anything a pellet grill can.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbobbeck View Post
I use a Bradley. Smokes anything a pellet grill can.
But it can’t grill anything a grill can. Or bake bread. Or work outside at -37C. My Traeger does.

Bradley’s are great garage smokers though, I won’t deny that.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:06 PM

Green Mountain is top notch. Get the insulated blanket for it and pellet consumption drops in half
Old 09-26-2022, 07:33 PM

I had a Traeger for many years and it worked very well but I could never get the heat for cooking steak so I bought a pit boss navigator and it works really nice and you can sear with the sliding great.
Old 09-26-2022, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.orange View Post
I've had a Pro 22 for 3 summers now. What a complete disaster this unit is.

Traeger has been good up to this point, sending me parts every summer to correct problems with the unit. In 2020, we replaced the thermostat, in 2021 it was the motor, in 2022 it was the digital control panel. Now I'm out of the warranty period, and my wife and I wonder every time we try it "Will it stay on or flash yet another error code"?, "Will it get up to the desired temp"?, "Will that deer roast be raw, or industrial grade Russian shoe leather"?

I would never buy another Traeger unit again. Can't emphasize enough how horrible this unit has been.
My experience with the Pro 22 has been much different. We bought it in January 2019, and use it very frequently (at least once a week - more often in the summer time). I've had absolutely zero issues with it.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
Hi all
I read through a lot of the pinned pages on smoker food etc. but need more specifics. I am thinking about a traeger pellet smoker. However, this past summer I bought a Napoleon grill, new firetable, ran a double gas line to back deck etc. Spent some bucks but more of the question is space now on the back deck. I see the Pro 22 and the 575 model are smaller and wondering if some here went that route and found it to be a bit too small? I guess it depends on how one is using it and such. I can't go to big on the grill due to the space, furniture, etc. Looking at lightly used or new.
Any thoughts appreciated.
You can always purchase a unit that complements your extra space, but be sure that it will be big enough yo accommodate a full rack of ribs, or a brisket, IMO!
Old 09-27-2022, 12:39 PM

I have a 4 rack Bradley Original electric smoker and a big 3 burner gas barbecue with a rotisserie. To me, this is the perfect combination. My Bradley is big enough that I have smoked a 15 lb turkey, racks of ribs and a smaller brisket. I’ve tossed meat in the smoker and finished on the barbecue. I could bake bread in the barbecue. And I’ve done lots of steaks just on the grill. This combination works for us and if either of my Bradley or barbecue needs to be replaced I think I would do a strait across replacement. So your question really is “Do I need both a Napoleon grill and a Traeger”. Probably not based on some of the comments here.
Old 09-27-2022, 12:59 PM

I am considering options but thank you all for input.
Old 09-28-2022, 03:44 AM

Default choices

I'm a Traeger lover, with the 22 inch grill size, make the best chicken me and all my neighbors ever have in our lives. Spatcocked a young turkey from superstore, 3 different times best moist and juicy turkey me and my friends ever had. have done whole pork loins Spectacular.
Big briskets done 4 times, they are tricky to get perfect, paper wrapping is important, never tried foil. each has been very fine dining.

My bro has the new Weber unit and he really like it