Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-16-2018, 07:45 AM

Default Time management and shooting

Who else finds it tough to spend time on hobbies
Take the shooting sports
I have 15 centerfire rifles and 6 rim fire.
Yearly I shoot at least 300 rounds of each centerfire ( often more with some) and at least a few k of rim fire.
I load every round of C.F. I send
I am also a hard core hunter spending hundreds of hours hiking/scouting in summer and as much time as possible hunting during open season.

I have a full time job 50 hr / week generally
Live on an acreage
Wife and six kids under 10

With work and home responsibilities it's tough to find time for hobbies.
Fortunately with where I live I'm right on crown land so most of my hunting is done within a few miles of my house. I can shoot rim fire right on my own range in the yard and I have a 1600 yd " range" on crown land within 1/4 mile from my house.

For me range time is not the issue as I can whip out for a half hour and get in a decent practice time.

Here's what I have done to maximize my hobby time so it doesn't negatively impact family time.

1 keep hobbies simple. I simply downsized my hobbies, the shooting sports is where I have chosen to commit my hobby time. I don't have an issue with hobbies competing for time

2 get to bed early and get up early.
A few nights a week I try to get to bed by 10pm, I then get up around 4-5 am. My wife and kids wake up around 7 am so this gives me 2-3 hours in the morning to reload, clean rifles,or work on guns.

What ideas have you guys come up with to maximize your involvement in the shooting sports