Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-27-2014, 11:03 PM

Default Factory .22 accuracy @ 100 yards - my personal best

Okay, just had to share this on here, because my wife and kid could really care less unfortunately. Finally, after trying numerous types of factory ammo with mixed results, today I finally found THE .22lr ammo my rifle likes, make that loves. Okay, so grain of salt, it's only a 4 shot group. Still, I'm pumped. 5 shots touching at 50 yds, so I shot for the 100 yd target I had set up sighting in my .222, just wanted to see how much it opened up at that range. First shot was towards the bottom of the paper, so I adjusted aim for the 3" high mark and let 'er rip with the last 4. 6" drop at 100 yds. but dead on. First 2 touching, 3rd off right, last one back on centre.

Shooting a CZ 452 Varmint, bone stock except for a Timney trigger. Ammo is Federal Gold Medal Match 40gr solid. First time shooting this ammo obviously, and I need to find more. I don't usually invest in match grade .22 ammo, that's going to change. First ammo I've ever used that the bullet was noticeably coated in lubricant of some sort. Is this standard for the better .22 ammo? Had to wipe the fingers off after charging the mag. They called a cease fire on the range after this mag, and it was past time to head home, so couldn't try for a duplicate today but you can be sure I'll be back out as soon as I can.

Think maybe this rifle just earned herself a scope upgrade. Currently wearing a 4-16 Bushnell Banner, but I noticed the fine crosshairs were doubling slightly at that range. Just bought a used Elite 4200 4-16 I may have to mount on it now, although I hesitate to mess with a combo that's obviously working.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:05 PM

Holy, good results!
Old 07-28-2014, 05:51 AM

CZ makes a good rifle, and with decent ammunition that the rifle likes, MOA is very realistic at 100 yards. The Gold Medal is certainly decent quality, and the price is much more affordable that top end match ammunition, that can cost over $20 per 50 rounds. As for the lube, it is pretty much standard with better quality ammunition,but not common with the lower cost loads that are often copper washed. Most people will never see this type of accuracy, with a 22lr, because most people never use anything but low cost bulk ammunition in their 22lr.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:00 AM

great work!