Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-25-2014, 10:16 AM

Default Flintlock question. need info and help

Good morning. so i'v been toying with the idea of getting into gun's ( into trad archery) and flintlocks seem like fun and due to not having my p.a.l seem to be the way to go. so after endless reading online over laws it seems i can buy a Flintlock as long as it does not use Percussion caps. so armed with my new found info i decided to go online and look at stuff .
i phoned basspro here in crossiron mills and asked about the Traditions Kentucky rifle .50 cal , it seems a good place to start and price was right. How ever the guy i talked to said i need my p.a.l i tryed explaining it wasn't percussion cap so i don't. he wouldn't budge on it no matter how i explained it. so now im wondering do i need my P.A.L to buy a flintlock ?????? let alone black powder...

So if i dont need a p.a.l were can i buy one in calgary area or drumheller med hat or lethbridge areas with out hassle ???
next How hard is it to get left hand one ?
do i need a p.a.l to get black powder ?
any info on any this be great . sorry if i rambled a bit i tend to when typing.just want to get into a new sport.
P.S flintlock pistols look like fun also do i need a p.a.l for those ?
Old 07-25-2014, 01:58 PM

Tell that guy to get bent and pound sand...here is your info..

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...poudre-eng.htm

YES..you can buy a flintlock without a PAL...just follow the common storage rules and you are good to go..A flintlock rifle is classified as a prescribed antique

You do NOT need a PAL to purchase black powder. Under the Explosives act you may be required to submit your name and addy for recording puposes,but it pretty much ends right about there.

As for a flint lock pistol...If it is made after 1898,even if its a repro,it becomes a restricted fire arm if the barrel is over 105mm...if its under that its prohib...so the laws apply to restricted or prohib handguns...

Grab a Cabelas catalogue....and right under neath the flintlock ad...you will see...NO PAL Required..I would look at Cabelas first b4 dealing with some one who doesn't know the regs...

Just one thing to remember,when shooting a flint there is a lot of discharge of spark from the flint. DONT have any one standing within about 10 feet of you watching you take a shot. There is a very good chance that they will end up with a piece of hot flint in there eye and that will totally wreck there day...and yours as well...
Old 07-25-2014, 06:07 PM

I mail ordered a used Lyman lefty Deerstalker from the States trouble free. Flint long guns are not controlled and a PAL is not required. I later got a PAL but at the time I did not have a PAL.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:46 AM

Flintlock requires zero PAL. Fella behind counter who told you otherwise is a complete nimrod.
Wholesale sports north in Edmonton has a Lyman GPR flintlock in 50 and is left-hand.
Or like mentioned, you can order one from the USA. Check out Track of the Wolf.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:36 AM

This is now the third or fourth thread you have going on exactly the same topic, and the previous threads have quite a bit of information on them. How many threads are you planning to start on this subject?