Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-09-2019, 03:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
So you're saying Loochs ridiculous contract, that you're stuck with till it expires, was taken on to save $750000? This "everyone knows that", I'm thinking only Jamie knows that. If that is indeed the case, Trevling should be unemployed
100% Thats what it was. We needed cap space and gave up a undesirable component to get that cap space. No one else wanted JN. We were stuck with him and that salary. That $$$ was all spent the minute we signed him. Spilled milk if you would. Now, how do we make the best out of a bad scenario. Jesus, the flames even held off on pulling the trigger until the days after the Oilers had to pay the bonus $$$.
Looch's value was in the cap space and his reputation. He was not brought here for his speed.....
Old 11-09-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Elk.. We did.. Thats exactly why this trade was made. Come one everyone knows that... You think it was for Loochs good looks? This was 100% about cap space. (I was wrong it's not $500,000 but in fact $750,000 worth of cap space per year)We traded what was a useless part for a part your team that was useless. BUT we got the got space that we needed. and thats why MT signed up again.
So yeah.. THANK YOU. Seems it might have worked out well for both sides. Interested to see how you guys feel about this if it costs you another draft pick and things continue to slide down hill for the real deal. it's early though.
It’s $500K. Check CapFriendly if you want.

Of all the possible ways to save $500K in cap space to sign a player, you think acquiring Looch’s contract was the best way, or even a GOOD way, to do it? I want some of what you’re smoking...

Calgary wanted out from under Neal, EDM was desperate to get out from under Lucics contract. They both took a chance it would work out for them. James Neal is who he is, and that’s OK by me. If he does nothing more this year it’s already a win. If your glasses are rosy enough, you’ll find a way to defend Lucic. I tried for years, but eventually no amount of rose colouring could make it OK. It’s painfully obvious to any objective person that EDM won the trade.

You can’t win them all. Get over it, move on, quit letting it get you in the mind.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post

Of all the possible ways to save $500K in cap space to sign a player, you think acquiring Looch’s contract was the best way, or even a GOOD way, to do it? I want some of what you’re smoking...

Calgary wanted out from under Neal, EDM was desperate to get out from under Lucics contract. They both took a chance it would work out for them. James Neal is who he is, and that’s OK by me. If he does nothing more this year it’s already a win. If your glasses are rosy enough, you’ll find a way to defend Lucic. I tried for years, but eventually no amount of rose colouring could make it OK. It’s painfully obvious to any objective person that EDM won the trade.

You can’t win them all. Get over it, move on, quit letting it get you in the mind.
Your right (I think) $750,000 in cash per year and $500,000 per year in Cap space. When you are as tight to the cap as we were (Prior to injuries, every little thing counts) This allowed the Flames to sign MT and not have to let anyone else go. Apparently (According to MT) this was extremly important to him and the Flames) So yeah, signing MT was way more important than dealing with the underachieving, argumentative, disliked and disappointing REAL DEAL. I am ok with it all.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:29 PM

Jamie. I asked a question on the flames thread. Go read some posts by your cronies.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Jamie. I asked a question on the flames thread. Go read some posts by your cronies.
I did. They have correct answers as well. Some good thoughts there by real knowledgeable people. I would expect nothing else from that group. :-)
Old 11-09-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I did. They have correct answers as well. Some good thoughts there by real knowledgeable people. I would expect nothing else from that group. :-)
Well they “slightly” contradict your thoughts.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
Also the fact Neal and Peters were not working together, AT ALL. As much as I do think we should have got more, Neal did suck last year and there may have been more to it than we will ever know.. Either way even though more points would be nice, we are getting what we need from Looch, and for the ones who believe him and Neal should be equal in points?? HaHa well you should maybe look at stop watching hockey, as it is clearly not your thing.

And yet when the trade went down all we heard from Flamers was "six of one, half dozen of another. They both stink."

Now just one does. Or should I say...still does.

I don't think anyone thought they'd be equal in points except some "you're not really here for the hockey are ya" Flames fans that had written Neal off as a future 7 goal scorer. Anyone that follows the league vs just one team knew Neal was by far and away the best piece in the trade, and he's proving it. Worth every penny of 12.5% salary, a third rounder, and the easier buyout. Holland probably never thought he'd find a pigeon willing to make as good a deal, and would have paid more.

Nothing equal about the trade at all. Tree got taken out behind the woodshed and whupped good.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:41 PM

What it boils down to Jamie is Calgary was backed into a wall and did what they had to do. (I get that).....but they got the worse end of the stick.
They get to keep a good player but had to take a terrible one an a ridiculous contract. Not to mention giving away a 12 goal in 18 game scorer.(again I get that.)
But the oil have 2 wins out of the deal. Actually 3.
They get a player who puts the puck in the net, they get rid of a cement pylon, and hand over a ridiculous contract. Again.... you do what u gotta do but.... quit putting lipstick on a pig and calling it your super model....
Old 11-09-2019, 04:42 PM
Banned

I still say you guys are obsessed with the Oilers. (Jamie and rig rat) you spend more time on here than your own teams thread.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinman22 View Post
I still say you guys are obsessed with the Oilers. (Jamie and rig rat) you spend more time on here than your own teams thread.
Actually I chat a lot in a Golden Knight's forum as well and am a hockey fan in general. So if you want to make it all about the Coil sure go for it. Born and raised Albertan, so been watching both teams since the 80's. So have followed both teams for a long time.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
You made me look. Here it is, right from CF Oilers.

IMO Treliving is a middle of the road GM, if that. His record on free agent signings is poor. The Neal signing backfired badly. The Neal/Lucic trade was the result.

Lucic had to waive his NMC in order to be traded.
Conjecture in Calgary is that Lucic has also waived the NMC for the expansion draft, which would allow the Flames to protect one of their younger players. If that is not the case, Treliving should be gone. IMO
Old 11-09-2019, 05:16 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Rig-Rat;4053453]Actually I chat a lot in a Golden Knight's forum as well and am a hockey fan in general. So if you want to make it all about the Coil sure go for it. Born and raised Albertan, so been watching both teams since the 80's. So have followed both teams for a long time.[/QUOT
Always with the smart azz names and I been watching since before there was a Flames team in Calgary.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Old 11-09-2019, 06:00 PM

[QUOTE=drivinman22;4053464]
Quote:
Actually I chat a lot in a Golden Knight's forum as well and am a hockey fan in general. So if you want to make it all about the Coil sure go for it. Born and raised Albertan, so been watching both teams since the 80's. So have followed both teams for a long time.[/QUOT
Always with the smart azz names and I been watching since before there was a Flames team in Calgary.
I'll keep that in mind next time I read the name Phlegms , Flamers, Shames. Congrats your older than I am.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:13 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Rig-Rat;4053499][QUOTE=drivinman22;4053464]

I'll keep that in mind next time I read the name Phlegms , Flamers, Shames. Congrats your older than I am.[/QUO

AND I DONT USE SMART AZZ NAMES.
Only kids and insecure morons do that.
And if u debate this you r one. lol
Old 11-09-2019, 06:59 PM

Cool it boys. Some friendly banter between bitter rivals is the theme of this and the Flames thread. No personal insults are welcome here, especially concerning family, livelihood, or personal issues.

2 minutes for offside
Old 11-09-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Born and raised Albertan, so been watching both teams since the 80's. So have followed both teams for a long time.

That would explain the bitterness towards the Oilers then.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
That would explain the bitterness towards the Oilers then.
YEP!!! I did love them true battle's of Alberta though. That was wild to watch..
Old 11-09-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
YEP!!! I did love them true battle's of Alberta though. That was wild to watch..

Hey I grew up a Rider fan. Ask me why I hate the Eskimos. Same thing.

Nobody likes a championship streak except the home team. Not many will admit to being Patriots fans either. Not a lot of love for those boys out there other than in Boston.

I was living in Calgary 85-87. Riseborough shredding an Oiler jersey in the penalty box with his skates was classic. So was MacTavish pulling Harveys tongue out later. Gold Jerry
Old 11-09-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Hey I grew up a Rider fan. Ask me why I hate the Eskimos. Same thing.

Nobody likes a championship streak except the home team. Not many will admit to being Patriots fans either. Not a lot of love for those boys out there other than in Boston.
A Riders fan, the dickens... My wife says Sask is a wonderful place to be from.....

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 11-09-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
A Riders fan, the dickens... My wife says Sask is a wonderful place to be from.....

She never says that to me....: bad_boys_20:

It came with the territory being born and raised there ya bastidge. Riders are everyone's first religion.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:18 PM
Banned

What a proud moment for you, Jamie. You and the Prime Minister in the same sentence.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:29 PM

Default Game

Quote:
All the BS we sling back and forth should just be that BS. Ribbing a guy is one thing but no need to get personal. That's crap. Keep it clean boys.
X10, no need for that
Old 11-09-2019, 09:55 PM

Oilers thread leading in posts and views over flames thread too. lol

lol

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:57 PM
Banned

For some reason there are crickets over there tonight.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
For some reason there are crickets over there tonight.
Because it's a good game. More watching less typing.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
That’s all you’ve got in response?

Care to prove me wrong on what you cherry picked out of my post? Honestly, that’s the best info I could find after a lot of searching, if it’s wrong, show me.

If you’re trying to justify the trade based on cap room, which is a MASSIVE reach, that number is important.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
You made me look. Here it is, right from CF Oilers.

IMO Treliving is a middle of the road GM, if that. His record on free agent signings is poor. The Neal signing backfired badly. The Neal/Lucic trade was the result.

Lucic had to waive his NMC in order to be traded.
Conjecture in Calgary is that Lucic has also waived the NMC for the expansion draft, which would allow the Flames to protect one of their younger players. If that is not the case, Treliving should be gone. IMO
Retained salary is not the same as the difference in cap hit and available cap space created by the trade.

https://puckpedia.com/trade/162
Old 11-10-2019, 03:31 PM

7:00 o’clock game time Oiler nation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2019, 06:37 PM
Banned

Hoping for a 3 point game!