Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: What type of stillwater trout fishery would you prefer at your favourite lake?
C&R with the chance of catching trout up to 25" 112 42.75%
Limit of 1 under 18" with a good chance of fish over 22" 47 17.94%
Limit of 1 over 18" with a good chance of fish over 20" 38 14.50%
Limit of 3 any size with a good chance of fish over 16" 49 18.70%
Limit of 5 any size with a good chance of fish over 12" 16 6.11%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
The real Freedom55 left the province and now fishes in the great wilderness north of Saskatoon. I am having no trouble enjoying the fishing and exploring. Like I posted elsewhere, plenty of room for everybody. But I also like the eastern slopes and grew up fishing all the streams and lakes from the Sheep to Waterton to the Crowsnest and will be pleased to continue.
LOL

I knew you were lurking.

Looks like I need to post more...HD is winning the thread posting count

Have fun F55...you hide your true feelings well - but obviously...the only reason to go to Saskatchewan is because they have some quality trout fishing there.

Eventually Albertans will too...then you will be back.

So Specs...you are off the hook...but still retired at 55! Good job...we all wanna be retired and fishing at 55...and posting

Plus a few extra yellows for F55

: sEm_oops2:

What did I say? Am I gonna be banned? LOL
Old 03-30-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
The thread has been a good read, thanks for the new spots to check out.

For the H*ll of it, Top 20 posters on this thread.

HunterDave 325
Sundancefisher 317
Speckle55 211
huntsfurfish 143
chubbdarter 139
Doc 96
Tosh 68
SNAPFisher 63
GustavMahler 47
Pudelpointer 45
Bigtoad 44
madatter 27
DuckBrat 22
goldscud 20
GaryF 20
Heron 16
huntin'fool 14
ishootbambi 12
Fishfinder 8
michaelmicallef 8
So who is more anal...the guys that did all the posting or the poor sod who summed it all up

Thanks for doing it. I was curious. What would be really neat to know is how many different folks read the thread...or at least part of it.

The steam seems to have gone...so it seems to now be fading...
Old 03-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Banned

Powerbait should be banned,,, or studied, then probably banned.

And to the guy who broke down the 20 top responders to this thread,, when did you start the count,,, I tried re-reading the thread and determined that if we were stuck on a desert island, we would have killed each other off weeks ago but in a Quality fashion.

When the mods finally shut this down, Spec should print the whole thread as a book and sell it next to Barry Mitchells Guide to Alberta and use the proceeds towards an aerator.

I sent out some invites to a handful on here,, I'm just going to suss things out,, so get your rods fly/spin ready, the countdown is down to days & hours. If Thursdays forecast is correct, this thread will vanish to back-thread heaven.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
So who is more anal...the guys that did all the posting or the poor sod who summed it all up

Thanks for doing it. I was curious. What would be really neat to know is how many different folks read the thread...or at least part of it.

iliketrout doesnt do that...she is a clean gurl
Old 03-30-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:

Easy to answer... just look at the post count. #1 a.h. would be...
j/k HD

Fortunately for this sod a simple copy and paste is all the list required. A lot more effort and thought has been supplied by those who have posted here. This discussion highlights (repeatedly ) issues with recreational fishing in Alberta.

As a side note, SRD has their 2011 budget comittee review on April 13. It would be worth a few posts to your MLA and the committee to express your view on funding this department.

http://www.assembly.ab.ca/committees.../meetings.html
Old 03-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Banned

Hey Sun? Are you at work? Doesn't the company you work for have a webmanager? Do they ever ask you, how much time you spend on fishing forums?
Old 03-30-2011, 11:28 AM
Banned

My apologies for calling you both an autocrat and an oligarch.

Oh, and calling you Gaddaffi Duck, in an earlier post.

Oh and proving you wrong on bigguns 5 mins from Calgary.

Get your rod spooled.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
My apologies for calling you both an autocrat and an oligarch.

Oh, and calling you Gaddaffi Duck, in an earlier post.

Oh and proving you wrong on bigguns 5 mins from Calgary.

Get your rod spooled.

Is everyone making up?
Old 03-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Is everyone making up?
It's sunny'ish and I don't want to meet fisherfolk pretending that I've never heard of AOF (even though a guy guessed who I was and I don't have a picture up) and chub, you're on the invite, check your PM's.

Seriously we should have a derby with only posters to this thread with only Rye for quenching. Leave your guns at home for that derby.

I'll share a Walleye hole in S. Alberta for this derby come Summer
Old 03-30-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
It's sunny'ish and I don't want to meet fisherfolk pretending that I've never heard of AOF (even though a guy guessed who I was and I don't have a picture up) and chub, you're on the invite, check your PM's.

Seriously we should have a derby with only posters to this thread with only Rye for quenching. Leave your guns at home for that derby.

I'll share a Walleye hole in S. Alberta for this derby come Summer
Spec has been quiet.....i bet he hooked up with iiketrout

i got no pm from you
Old 03-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Spec has been quiet.....i bet he hooked up with iiketrout

i got no pm from you
February 1st, 2011
should I resend? you may have deleted it if you hit 100 letters
Old 03-30-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Hey Sun? Are you at work? Doesn't the company you work for have a webmanager? Do they ever ask you, how much time you spend on fishing forums?
LOL

Fortunately I have a minute or two once in a while to rest my brain...

Luckily my typing skills are better than Specs...so it takes but a flash to post. Figuring out the smiles takes more time...

Sun

P.S. I proved you wrong...that there are not stocked put and take lakes within 5 minutes of Calgary that you can catch big trout. Still...rod is spooled and resting in loaded position...

Oligarch...I can live with... Calling me an Oligochaete...not so much...
Old 03-30-2011, 12:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
LOL

Fortunately I have a minute or two once in a while to rest my brain...

Luckily my typing skills are better than Specs...so it takes but a flash to post. Figuring out the smiles takes more time...

Sun

P.S. I proved you wrong...that there are not stocked put and take lakes within 5 minutes of Calgary that you can catch big trout. Still...rod is spooled and resting in loaded position...

Oligarch...I can live with... Calling me an Oligochaete...not so much...
nOOO, there are stillwater bigguns, I'm right!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-30-2011, 12:13 PM

Big game for the flames tonight......
Old 03-30-2011, 12:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
I sent out some invites to a handful on here,, I'm just going to suss things out,, so get your rods fly/spin ready, the countdown is down to days & hours. If Thursdays forecast is correct, this thread will vanish to back-thread heaven.
Gustav, I hope that you realize that your "quality" fishing spot will be less "quality" as soon as you let the cat out of the bag. I wouldn't tell anyone about it, let alone guys that only want to keep big trout, just to prove a point that great fishing can be had right in Calgary. Do you think that any "quality" guys are going to admit on here that there is already "quality" fishing in Calgary and there's no requirement to create more "quality" fisheries in the area?
Old 03-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Easy to answer... just look at the post count. #1 a.h. would be...
j/k HD
Wow! If I had of known that it was some sort of contest I would have tried allot harder.

I wonder where your thread count would have placed if the thread was about creating hunt farms as opposed to creating fish farms?

Good luck with your fishing..........there were allot of good lakes mentioned on the thread if you are willing to make the effort to go fish them. Most people on here won't so that's probably why people don't mind mentioning them. For those that do..........good on ya!
Old 03-30-2011, 01:16 PM

Ha ha you guys trying to hook me up.. nice anglers helping anglers .. btw i am 55 years old and i was born in 1955 this is my golden year ...there for Speckle55 .. i have a WR Speckle Trout/Brook Trout.. thanks for thinking of me guys .. is she your ex and you want her off your back ;;;; wink
Old 03-30-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Wow! If I had of known that it was some sort of contest I would have tried allot harder.

I wonder where your thread count would have placed if the thread was about creating hunt farms as opposed to creating fish farms?

Good luck with your fishing..........there were allot of good lakes mentioned on the thread if you are willing to make the effort to go fish them. Most people on here won't so that's probably why people don't mind mentioning them. For those that do..........good on ya!
You did well depite having nine fingers tied behind your back.

I'm not done with hunt farms...

I agree HD. There still are places in Alberta to go for some great fishing, and no one to tangle lines with. For some reason no one has published a story on them....

And Nope, I'm not saying where, not before a first date.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:32 PM

Sorry on leaving post and leaving computer on .. had to go to our shooting range we have to do some big improvements and shut some down .. $85000.00 and more .. wow .. RCMP range Inspectors are getting tough(good) .. but thats great keep us from Killing each other.. lol
Old 03-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
I agree HD. There still are places in Alberta to go for some great fishing, and no one to tangle lines with. For some reason no one has published a story on them....
The closer that they are to the city the fewer stories that you'll hear about them. Except that there are no big fish in them or they get fished out in 2 weeks after stocking. Specks doesn't mind sharing the info on the lakes that he fishes because he knows that few anglers will make the effort to fish them.

I gave up Peanut Lake, only 1 hr drive north of Edmonton, because they have stopped stocking it in order to turn it into a perch fishery and I figure that it'll winter kill this year anyway. No one believed me that there were big trout in there. There are no guarantees of catching a big trout like in a "quality" lake but I'll find out for myself in May.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:14 PM

Bow was quality today.....stinky but good
Old 03-30-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Bow was quality today.....stinky but good
Nice .. in the sun too!!!!!!
Old 03-30-2011, 02:30 PM

Chubb .. that smell is why you have Quality in the Bow soo much food for the Plankton etc .. city Calgary etc dump in river .. its like adding Liquid manure.. where Edson dumps theirs and down stream Big Walleye Locals know..

Hey some one said Hoey,s name whats his profile name anyone know?
Old 03-30-2011, 02:53 PM
Banned

Ha. i thought this was funny, this thread has almost double the amount of views than the forum rules does....... a little ironic considering how boarderline the tread as been to the rules
Old 03-30-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Chubb .. that smell is why you have Quality in the Bow soo much food for the Plankton etc .. city Calgary etc dump in river .. its like adding Liquid manure.. where Edson dumps theirs and down stream Big Walleye Locals know..

Hey some one said Hoey,s name whats his profile name anyone know?
some of the fish werent as shiney and bright either....some looked like pen fish
Old 03-30-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Old oilers Fan .. when you look at number of Stanley Cups .. Edmonton has done fine and that is why its is our Capital.. thanks for the memories.. Calgary is my second choice .. so Edmonton out... cheer Calgary good luck this year Flames
THIS IS VERY INTERESTING,

EVERYONE take time to read this, you will understand exactly how Speckle thinks on life.

The Oilers were once good, won some cups, now they suck, Speckle says "Ahh ***** it, they were once good, leave them alone, they'll figure it out"

Just like.."Ahh ***** it, we caught a 10 pound rainbow in there once in 1928, leave the lake alone, it's fine."

No, actually!! Normal people who care about the Oilers want to see improvement in their play just like people who care about trout fishing want to see improvement in the fishing!!

He provided a perfect analogy to his mind set on our stocked trout lakes. Unreal. At least he is true to himself....???

Dude, you're stuck in the past. There is sound science and logic to improve our fisheries. End of story.

That goes for everyone, IMPROVEMENT is always possible.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:15 PM

Huntin fool

did you read my posts when i said how to do what some want but it will take some work and no one wants to do that..

I have given my opinion on how i would do that without taking a lake away from the current system ..

SRD does not have the time or $ to do what you want but you can do it as a group with them helping you when need ..

But hey i dont know anything and especially on fishing12#13 oz Brook Trout 8# line class WR.jpg
12#13oz Brook Trout
Old 03-30-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Huntin fool

did you read my posts when i said how to do what some want but it will take some work and no one wants to do that..

I have given my opinion on how i would do that without taking a lake away from the current system ..

SRD does not have the time or $ to do what you want but you can do it as a group with them helping you when need ..

But hey i dont know anything and especially on fishingAttachment 34014
12#13oz Brook Trout
crap i havent seen those yellow swamp-azz makers in a long time....

my eyes fail me at 46...is that a brookie?
Old 03-30-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Specs...do you understand that most of us feel that with a few regulatory changes we are actually adding to the system and improving it through fisheries with better than 9 in or 12 inch average sizes.

Do you also realize that if lakes you know of already have an above average size trout fishery then there is nothing to improve.

Do you also realize that lakes so far that have these regulation changes implemented actually have great fishing and are extremely busy that shows high need and desire.

While we will never agree with each others side...understanding can lead to great dialog.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Banned

This last page is like the last episode of "Lost" or "Seinfeld" WTF???,,, I wonder what direction it will take tomorrow? as rain/snow is in the forecast.

As for the invites, I was extremely select and know that they will C&R and it will make some think about chubbs idea.

guesstimate 11 days