Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-23-2016, 10:15 PM

Default Scopes

I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Burris XTR series of scopes. If you do, what do you like or dislike about them?
It is time for a new scope and I am leaning towards the Burris. Either XTR or the Verocity.

Cheers
Old 05-23-2016, 10:56 PM

I have a Burris six-x on my 338 win mag and have nothing but good things to say about it. I dont think you can wrong either of the scopes you listed. Just my $0.02...but it seems like if it doesn't say Zeiss, Leupold or Nightforce it's seen as junk on this forum lol.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2016, 07:10 AM

I have scopes from five companies, Burris being one of them. It is a the bottom of my list and I would never buy another one.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkimag22 View Post
Just my $0.02...but it seems like if it doesn't say Zeiss, Leupold or Nightforce it's seen as junk on this forum lol.
You forgot Swarovski But I agree with you, to hear some people talk on here it is a wonder how millions of hunters hunt and kill stuff every year without a $2000.00 scope. How do they do it?
Old 05-24-2016, 08:52 AM

The XTR II's and Veracity's are excellent scopes for the money. I owned an XTR II 5-25 and the function, clarity and build quality were superb. Comparing it my Tangent Theta 5-25, the XTR has every right to stick its chest out. The glass was shockingly good. The turrets are a little soft in the click department but illumination was even better than the TT and the reticle is every bit as functional. Tracking has proven to be perfect in other tests, though I never had the chance to check that myself.

I also own two Veracity scopes, both the 4-20 and the 5-25. Comparing side-by-side, and I'm not sure why, the clarity of both the glass and reticles of these scopes is even superior to the XTR. For around $1000 the Veracity bats WAY out of its league. The varmint reticle is simply excellent. It's a little thicker but is perfect for hunting. If you don't need illumination the Veracity is every much the XTR's equal, albeit with closed turrets and a lighter 30mm tube. You can run with the caps off, if required.

I'm not just a Burris fanboy, owning a Premier, Tangent Theta and a March as well as Leupolds and others. I truly believe this latest generation of Burris is the best value going for precision long-range scopes. Being close brethren of the Steiner lineup, the lineage shows.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:17 AM

These are big scopes. This is the Veracity 4-20X50 on a Remington LVSF .204

For what it's worth, a cellphone pic of the Veracity reticle on pigeons at 120 yards.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:28 AM

Thanks guys.
One more question. How well does the tracking work on these scopes? Do they always go back to center or are they off one or two click?
Thanks
Old 05-24-2016, 11:00 AM

One of the reasons I bought these is because of what I'd read in online reviews. From what I found there were no negative reviews relating to mechanical function.

There was an online box test which showed one scope tracking very well with an error of around .05 percent after return to zero, which is excellent. Admittedly, I haven't tried for myself yet.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:49 AM
Banned

I suggest, if you're going to spend $1000+ on a scope...

Check out Sightron too.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:49 PM

I was hoping to have this figured out by now.

I do wish I did not have the issues I had with another scope brand.

I looked through a couple of the Burris scopes today. Still have not found a XTR in Red Deer. Need to look through one before I decide which way to go.

Thanks for comments, I will take a look at Sighttron once I find out where they are in the area.

Cheers