Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-12-2018, 08:55 PM

Default Nailing Some Nice Triploid Trout

Acme Tackle Tungsten and Meal Worms Slayed Em!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TiuoXc-HsI

The Jaw Jacker has changed the way I fish for trout on slow days when the fish don't want to pay any attention to a flashy spoon or moving jig. Sometimes these big lazy trout just want a small presentation that is held dead still. You could either do this with a strike indicator on your line or you could just use a couple Jaw Jacker hook setting devices like I do and be busy running back and forth. These ponds can be hit and miss, but early in the ice season from first freeze till the begining of January fishing can be excellent. Don't forget these same ponds when the weather warms up and the ice starts to melt away from the shore. These ponds will once again have actively feeding trout that you can target even after the big lakes are off limits due to fishing closures. So don't put away the auger and short rods, head out to a trout pond this spring.

If you want to find a lake near you hear are a couple of great resources that I use to locate new lakes. Friends can also be a big help in locating productive spots if they're willing to share with you. the good thing about trout is that they put a new batch in every year, so you don't have to feel guilty keeping a few for dinner.

Best of luck out there. Leave your comments, questions and feedback. I love hearing what you guys want to know and how I can better serve my viewers.

If you want notifications don't forget to hit the BELL. That's the only way you can keep up with me these days. Subscription alone doesn't do it.

Alberta Stocking Reports:
https://mywildalberta.ca/fishing/fis...g-reports.aspx

Find Alberta Conservation Association Stocked Lakes Near You:
http://www.ab-conservation.com/progr...stocked-lakes/

I know I accidentally said brook trout as well... but these are all rainbows. I was just used to catching all the brookies in BC.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 03-13-2018, 09:53 AM
Banned

I just have to ask.....Why would I feel guilty about keeping any for dinner? Stocked or wild?
Old 03-13-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
I just have to ask.....Why would I feel guilty about keeping any for dinner? Stocked or wild?
You may not, but some other people may want to make you feel guilty for keeping your limit. I'm not one of those people. That's all I'm saying.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 03-13-2018, 10:35 AM

20180102_152736 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr

20180102_160806 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr

20180102_161718 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr

20180102_162448 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr

20180102_162554 by Brandon Koperski, on Flickr

Old 03-13-2018, 08:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
You may not, but some other people may want to make you feel guilty for keeping your limit. I'm not one of those people. That's all I'm saying.
I don’t fish with those people. Part of fishing to me is enjoying a feed of fish.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:50 PM

Good catching Brandon. I didnt know the fish got that big in that pond. I never have much luck there in the summer.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
Good catching Brandon. I didnt know the fish got that big in that pond. I never have much luck there in the summer.
Yeah apparently there are some nice ones, but not many and must be lots of food so I don't think they're too interested in fishermen.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:50 PM

Man I have been getting skunked hard this season. Its almost like there is too much food in these ponds for the stocked trout!

I usually dead stick one and have another jigging.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
Man I have been getting skunked hard this season. Its almost like there is too much food in these ponds for the stocked trout!

I usually dead stick one and have another jigging.
I like the small presentations on dead stick for well fed trout.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:50 PM

What pond is this ?
Old 03-14-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah apparently there are some nice ones, but not many and must be lots of food so I don't think they're too interested in fishermen.
There used to be a lot of fish that size but that place gets a ton of pressure and it has taken its toll. And like you said...its legal to keep 5so the vast majority of people who fish there will when they can. When I am there and throw one back people lose their minds. Yet complain that the fishing is not as good as it was previously.

Doesn't take a genius to put two and two together as to why some stocked ponds don't fish as well as they could.

J
Old 03-14-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokey75 View Post
There used to be a lot of fish that size but that place gets a ton of pressure and it has taken its toll. And like you said...its legal to keep 5so the vast majority of people who fish there will when they can. When I am there and throw one back people lose their minds. Yet complain that the fishing is not as good as it was previously.

Doesn't take a genius to put two and two together as to why some stocked ponds don't fish as well as they could.

J
I think they should stock more, seems the fish are super fat, fast growing and the pond could probably handle a few more fish. Hermitage pond used to get 3000 a year and this pond is bigger, deeper and gets way less fish. This was the first time I had kept fish from this pond, usually release them all. I really don't mind people keeping there limit of fish from stocked ponds. That's what they are there for. Can't keep walleye, the perch are gone and we are on the verge of pike tags so won't have much else left to eat than stocked trout before long if you want fresh fish for dinner.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Old 03-14-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I think they should stock more, seems the fish are super fat, fast growing and the pond could probably handle a few more fish. Hermitage pond used to get 3000 a year and this pond is bigger, deeper and gets way less fish. This was the first time I had kept fish from this pond, usually release them all. I really don't mind people keeping there limit of fish from stocked ponds. That's what they are there for. Can't keep walleye, the perch are gone and we are on the verge of pike tags so won't have much else left to eat than stocked trout before long if you want fresh fish for dinner.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
I don't mind people keeping fish from there either. Although if I had my way I would reduce the limit to 2 with a possession limit of 4. A lot of folks I see there are back daily and I am pretty sure they didn't eat all 5-10 fish they took that day. If some people actually paid attention to the law they would have some more freezer space and there would be a few more fish around.

Aerated lakes with a limit of 5 just dont make sense to me. Spend all that money (and with the top of the line system they have there its pricey) to have the pond hammered just baffles me. A somewhat reduced limit lets people still eat some fish but also allows some good growth. Those are good sized fish you got in the video but they won't get too much bigger than that due to harvest.

I know they are still figuring out stocking numbers in that one. They also had a tough time getting fish in there last season due to the whirling disease impact on hatcheries.

Its a great pond. One I have enjoyed taking my kids to since its close by. Just hoping it doesn't go the way of Hermitage where you cant buy a fish there late in year due to over harvest.

Was a good video Brandon...I enjoyed. I can imagine the people watching you talking to yourself and running from hole to hole. Must have given them a smile. Non fisher people will never understand!

Cheers

J
Old 03-14-2018, 03:29 PM

I'd be curious how they taste? I've only sampled trout from 2 stocked lakes, one tasted quite muddy, and not at all enjoyable. That was Carson in the summer. The winter fish from Spring taste excellent, time and again. Is it seasonal, or lake type that cause the difference?
Old 03-14-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
I'd be curious how they taste? I've only sampled trout from 2 stocked lakes, one tasted quite muddy, and not at all enjoyable. That was Carson in the summer. The winter fish from Spring taste excellent, time and again. Is it seasonal, or lake type that cause the difference?
I catch and release only. So this will be second hand info. I know a old timer who keeps some. He says they are muddy in the summer the hotter it gets. He only eats them in spring and sometimes fall if we have a cooler fall.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokey75 View Post
I don't mind people keeping fish from there either. Although if I had my way I would reduce the limit to 2 with a possession limit of 4. A lot of folks I see there are back daily and I am pretty sure they didn't eat all 5-10 fish they took that day. If some people actually paid attention to the law they would have some more freezer space and there would be a few more fish around.

Aerated lakes with a limit of 5 just dont make sense to me. Spend all that money (and with the top of the line system they have there its pricey) to have the pond hammered just baffles me. A somewhat reduced limit lets people still eat some fish but also allows some good growth. Those are good sized fish you got in the video but they won't get too much bigger than that due to harvest.

I know they are still figuring out stocking numbers in that one. They also had a tough time getting fish in there last season due to the whirling disease impact on hatcheries.

Its a great pond. One I have enjoyed taking my kids to since its close by. Just hoping it doesn't go the way of Hermitage where you cant buy a fish there late in year due to over harvest.

Was a good video Brandon...I enjoyed. I can imagine the people watching you talking to yourself and running from hole to hole. Must have given them a smile. Non fisher people will never understand!

Cheers

J
I agree 110% Jokey, I wish the limit in near city lakes was only 2 per person. I'm not sure why the province doesn't do this. In british columbia all the city stocked lakes in the lower mainland or greater vancouver area are a limit of two. Allows more to go around. Yeah I don't like frozen trout so I usually just eat them fresh or smoke them fresh or share with some friends if I have people asking. I do have a freezer full of ocean fish though, yum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
The fish I ate tasted excellent. But I only eat trout from stocked lakes in the winter usually or spring. So I don't know what they taste like in the summer.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:03 PM

Nice video those are some nice trout you soar you use a tippet in your set up how do you tie it on to your line ?
Old 03-16-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
The fish I ate tasted excellent. But I only eat trout from stocked lakes in the winter usually or spring. So I don't know what they taste like in the summer.
Interesting. The only stocked trout I’ve tried in Winter was for Brookies this year and they were awful. This was back in November though…maybe they might get better? But more than likely the lake. I might have to add some winter trout to the menu in the future as a more “sustainable” option.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:25 PM

No one should worry about taking their limit. F&W need to manage fishing pressure and adjust limits accordingly if their is any concern. Multiple stockings are also part of any management plan.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-16-2018, 01:52 PM

As far as meat quality, I find that it comes down to the particular fish. I've had stocked trout of similar sizes out of Blood Indian at the same time of year that have differed substantially in taste and texture. Winter trout do tend to taste the best on average.

Tags
ice fishing, jaw jacker, rainbow trout, triploid