Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-17-2018, 09:59 AM

Default Primrose Lake Petition

Petition to open Primrose Lake on the weapons range, for an annual fishing weekend. For the the public to enjoy from 07:00 to 19:00 the third weekend of every March Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Limits to be determined. Potentially 5 fish per angler any size.

If Suffeild and Wainwright can organize a dry land hunt on the base with firearms, safely and efficiently. Why can’t a fishing weekend be done on the safety of a temporary ice surface (no unexploded devices to worry about)?
Old 03-17-2018, 11:41 AM

Kind of comparing apples to oranges with wainwright and suffield to primrose. The hunt is used to control animal population numbers. There’s literally no need for that in the lake.

It would just be a bunch of tax dollars for the benefit of maybe a few hundred people with no environmental benefit.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:49 AM

You won’t catch the next world record walleye at Winifred.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:27 PM

I understand the appeal of fishing primrose. There’s just no environmental or conservation benefit to justify interrupting military operations and spending tax dollars to organize what you’re suggesting. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to fish there. Like I said, comparing it to wainwright or suffield is apples to oranges
Old 03-17-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
I understand the appeal of fishing primrose. There’s just no environmental or conservation benefit to justify interrupting military operations and spending tax dollars to organize what you’re suggesting. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to fish there. Like I said, comparing it to wainwright or suffield is apples to oranges
There was no comparison from a wildlife or fish mannagement standpoint. The comparison is for safety and the ablitly to organize such a thing.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:57 PM

There’s no reason why they couldn’t organize such a thing. Just no reason why they would.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:17 PM

First Nations used to net it, not sure if they still do, but did not seem to affect military operations.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:23 PM

Ya they let commercial fisherman on this winter again. A friend has pictures of fish out of there that are unbelievable.

Why not doing a fishing weekend? Anyone worried about it being a waste of tax dollars. Do you think your tax dollars are being effectively spent now?
Old 03-17-2018, 04:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Petition to open Primrose Lake on the weapons range, for an annual fishing weekend. For the the public to enjoy from 07:00 to 19:00 the third weekend of every March Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Limits to be determined. Potentially 5 fish per angler any size.

If Suffeild and Wainwright can organize a dry land hunt on the base with firearms, safely and efficiently. Why can’t a fishing weekend be done on the safety of a temporary ice surface (no unexploded devices to worry about)?
I wish you the best of luck. Let us know when you get the petition rolling and ill gladly sign it.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:14 PM

they let the commercial guys on over the christmas break when the pilots aren't flying anyway. no disruption.
Also most of the wings are in the southern states right now flying to get some hours in due to the winter weather here limits flight times. Seems they go most times in March.
Couldn't see why they wouldn't let it open on a few weekends while the jets are away.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:42 PM

Default Primrose Lake

Even if your petition was to be approved DND still has the write to deny access due to inherent safety risks associated with unexploded ordinance.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:00 PM

It get gets the crap netted out of it. I have seen the pictures of all the
Walleye and lots of montsters. It’s a big lake so not sure if that puts a dent in the population or not. I think this lake was open to the public in summer before. Maybe it will be again.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
Walleye and lots of montsters. It’s a big lake so not sure if that puts a dent in the population or not. I think this lake was open to the public in summer before. Maybe it will be again.
It has not been open to the public in nearly 20 years. The commercial fishermen and natives can fish it though.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:58 AM

The commercial fisherman had one day to fish it this year. It was during the -30 in January and only a few guys went I heard.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
The commercial fisherman had one day to fish it this year. It was during the -30 in January and only a few guys went I heard.
I think they were there again this weekend.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:22 PM
Banned

There is a sandwich board sign at the Petro Canada gas station on the SK side of the corner of the 16 & 17 hwys (where the AB/SK border markers are located) advertising Primrose Lake fish for sale with a phone number to call. It’s been there as long as I have lived in Lloyd which is 5 years in February.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
There is a sandwich board sign at the Petro Canada gas station on the SK side of the corner of the 16 & 17 hwys (where the AB/SK border markers are located) advertising Primrose Lake fish for sale with a phone number to call. It’s been there as long as I have lived in Lloyd which is 5 years in February.
And? You can pick some up on Bonnyville and Cold lake as well. They have been commercial netting that lake as long as I can remember.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
It was a great lake to fish in years ago. Lots of large walleye. Nice sized pike. And there was a time you could bring back both the Alberta limits and Saskatchewan limits. Best walleye fishing I have ever had was at Primrose. One time the DNR looked in our livewell and asked how many walleye we threw back to get our limits of such large fish. Our answer was, none.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2018, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
And? You can pick some up on Bonnyville and Cold lake as well. They have been commercial netting that lake as long as I can remember.
And nothing....just stating it must be fished commercially if they are advertising fish from it for sale.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:10 PM

Does the lake have the infrastructure to support free fishing weekends ? Roads or boat launches, camping facility ? Etc
Old 03-19-2018, 11:39 PM

There will be no camping on a weapons range. They have truck access to the lake for winter use.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru fisher View Post
Does the lake have the infrastructure to support free fishing weekends ? Roads or boat launches, camping facility ? Etc
It's an active weapons range. They literally drop inert bombs there and shoot 20mm rounds and fire off and eject rocket pods. Not to mention any activity off high grade requires permission with control and radio contact.

So no. There are no campgrounds.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:38 AM

I haven't been on the Alberta side of the lake in over forty years, but a high grade road used to run right beside the lake shore and was how the commercial fisherman accessed the lake during the summer months.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:28 AM

One could access the lake for fishing back in the day at select times when being accompanied by a member from the Arm Forces. As a kid I fished the lake twice with my father and a military member. I'm certain rules were pretty relaxed back then as compared to what it would be like today. High grade road right to the waters edge from what I remember. Fishing was pretty good but like most places, plenty of small ones with a few Walters mixed in for good measure.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:01 PM

Moose good Luck, there is a lot of reasons, the game wardens will give you a run around, Been there done that trying to get a tournament on there.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verado eyes View Post
Moose good Luck, there is a lot of reasons, the game wardens will give you a run around, Been there done that trying to get a tournament on there.
What’s their reason to not let recreational angling?
Old 03-20-2018, 02:29 PM

I was told that back in the day, if you were a member of the cold lake fish & game club, you were given access to primrose lake. Memberships were $10 a year and the club had approximately 2000 members in it. Am pretty sure that there are quite a few people on this forum that had access to the lake in the past by being clf&g members.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
What’s their reason to not let recreational angling?
they wont give me a reason, I been trying to get a reason for 4 years, they just say there not opening it, There is a road right to the lake, a launch, and yes guys from pierceland commercial fish it every winter, (my dad included) Its not the base u gotta worry about, its getting the game wardens permission
Old 03-20-2018, 06:34 PM

The lake is officially closed to angling. In the past it was closed to access not angling. Used to angle then when putting in commercial nets. DND pressured the Ab govt to close it to angling which they eventually did. It will never reopen in my lifetime. Too bad.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker View Post
The lake is officially closed to angling. In the past it was closed to access not angling. Used to angle then when putting in commercial nets. DND pressured the Ab govt to close it to angling which they eventually did. It will never reopen in my lifetime. Too bad.

I'm not a fisherman but I'm a tax payer and a candian citizen. Where does DND actually get off telling the citizens that they can't have ONE weekend of fishing on a lake in our own damned country?