Saskatchewan has 94,000 fish-bearing lakes,
with about 184,000 licensed anglers,
or 1.9 anglers per lake.

Alberta has only 800 lakes with fish,
but 250,000 licenced anglers, or
312 anglers per lake.

Bobby B.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:01 AM

Lot less licensed anglers this year then in years past it seems. I remember that statistic being closer to 800k with 800 lakes a few years ago.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 07-19-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
Lot less licensed anglers this year then in years past it seems. I remember that statistic being closer to 800k with 800 lakes a few years ago.
800k anglers??? Are you sure about that?

With unlicensed anglers (under 16 and over 65) I have seen estimates at something around 300,000 plus anglers or roughly 400 anglers per fish bearing lake. If the average angler makes 6 fishing trips per year that's 2400 angler days per lake on average.

Now consider that easily accessible lakes are going to se a lot more angler use than lakes not easily accessed. Any one care to hazard a guess at the angler days lakes like Wabumun or Pigeon would see in a year?
Old 07-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Banned

A while ago someone stated that no right thinking Albertan would move to Saskatchewan.

Now it's just me and some other guy.

On the whole pond.

Every time!

Free
Old 07-19-2013, 08:40 AM
Gone Hunting

Thank God for catch and release.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-19-2013, 09:33 AM

These kind of numbers explain why we have low daily and or mandatory C&R. It also explains why we have minimum size limits which allow fish to spawn once or twice before being harvested. ,,,,, and why we don't see widespread use of slot limits here in Alberta. In a lot of lakes there are more angler days than there are harvestable fish in any particular slot size range. If you allow everyone to take one or two immature fish per angling day, very few if any fish would grow through the slot to become the larger spawners.

Tags (as popular and unpopular as they are) are SRD's attempt at slot limits becuz the harvest can be limited.

I expect we will see more use of tags for harvesting fish in the future.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:40 AM
Gone Hunting

I'm curious about these numbers for U.S. lakes.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-19-2013, 10:51 AM

Thanks for posting Bobby B.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:15 AM

Great post.. show's the challenge we face as Lake Anglers in Alberta
Thanks for sharing

David
Old 07-19-2013, 11:20 AM

I have had this talk many times. There are many other variables I think you need to look at; # of lakes within 3 hours of large populations, Climate, water conditions. Yes Ontario and Saskatchewan have thousands of lakes but most of them are not accessible. I am a catch and release guy, and am all for conservation. I have been on lakes in Alberta on weekends and even long weekends within 1 hour of major populations. And have been one of a few boats on the lake, many times. When compared to lakes in Ontario where I was 2.5 hours from major populations and been swamped with boats on a regular basis.
Not saying fishing pressure is not the problem. It is, bit i think because Alberta lakes can't support nearly as much preassure as Ontario or sask lakes. but to say we have more fishing preassure here. I can't agree with that.
My 2c
Brad
Old 07-19-2013, 11:26 AM

A buddy of mine talked with the F & W on july long weekend...through launch data and ariel, they estimated over 4,000 boats on slave lake on july long weekend....I imagine some were tubing and boating but that's still a lot of action on the water...
Old 07-19-2013, 12:57 PM

Doesn't take into account the number of rivers and streams we have in the foothills that also draw fishermen.

The numbers remain "challenging" vs our neighbouring provinces, but they do get watered down as a result.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:11 PM

The OP shows lakes only. Pretty sure Ontario has a more than a couple rivers and streams too.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
The OP shows lakes only. Pretty sure Ontario has a more than a couple rivers and streams too.
According to my atlas, both Ontario and Sask. have streams and rivers.

Bobby B.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:23 PM

Yeah...but fishing pressure is measured differently on streams in Mb vs Ab.

The rivers in Mb are more like lakes, and (apart from the Red and Assbn), are lumped into that number.

The Winnipeg River System, the Nelson River System, the Saskatchewan River Systems and all their catch basins and tribs are recorded as "lakes". The rivers widen, are named "this" lake, and flow into the next lake. Those lakes are captured in the stat you quoted.

Here in Alberta, the Oldman does not widen into a lake 20 times over its course of travel, nor does the Bow, or the NSR.

Different animals.

Go fish Manitoba and you will better understand shield country.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:29 PM

And just to be clear...I am not making an argument about mis representing Alberta fishing pressure. I am just commenting that we need to also understand that we have streams and river in Alberta that alleviate "some" of that pressure that is not represented in the OPs original numbers.

Alberta fishing opportunities are a mere fraction of the opportunities that exist in Sask, Mb, Ont and BC.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:31 PM

...and thanks for the geography lesson.

And here I thought I was on a lake in Northern MB that was "tilted"...no idea it was a river after all....
Old 07-19-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
...and thanks for the geography lesson.

And here I thought I was on a lake in Northern MB that was "tilted"...no idea it was a river after all....
You're right, my comment about the atlas was totally offside. I was simply being a smart ass when it was not warranted. My apologies.

Bobby B.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:01 PM

No offence taken. Was just playing along.

Honestly...
Old 07-19-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
No offence taken. Was just playing along.

Honestly...
Yep, me too.

Don't know exactly why, but for some reason lately, I feel the need to crack some heads. Must be feeling a wee bit stressed out lately. I'm feeling ****ed off at the slightest provocation. I need to give myself a solid attitude adjustment. Maybe I need to go to a bar and drop a lit cigarette in some MOFO's beer and relief some tension. My wife disowns me when I get this way. I'm feeling the old 'kill or be killed rising up'. And, I'm way too old for this sorta ****. Almost.

Bobby B.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:24 PM

You need a week long trip to the coast, winching up barn door halibut and chasing springs...In order to vent all that pent up anger.

Work just don't do it son!
Old 07-19-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
You need a week long trip to the coast, winching up barn door halibut and chasing springs...In order to vent all that pent up anger.

Work just don't do it son!
Calling me son, just ****es me off more. Son.

Bobby B.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:32 PM

Woulda called you sister, but that may have put you into the car, bat in hand, headed south...
Old 07-19-2013, 09:35 PM

I just want to know what happened to the condom thread because that had AO Classic written all over it!

LC
Old 07-19-2013, 10:00 PM

Easy now, he seems kinda "twitchy" tonite...
Old 07-19-2013, 10:29 PM

Default Getting back to the original topic...

Folks:

Another variable / factor often not discussed is where "all 800" lakes are located.

Somewhere between Fort Assiniboine and Swan Hills is the geographic center of Alberta.

Knowing that, now look at a map: look north, look south. See the problem?

Many of the fish bearing lakes are still located north of the center of AB. Lac la Biche lakeland, Lesser Slave, not to mention the far north. And yet, 90% of AB's pop is south of this point.

So its nice doing the math, but the real picture is different. Actually, there is more pressure than you think.

Lakes like Gull, Sylvan, Pigeon, Ste. Anne, Wabamun, face alot of pressure from alot of anglers. Another example; think of how little few waterbodies are located within a 2 hour drive of Calgary. The Edmonton-Red Deer-Calgary corridor has relatively few large lakes to fish.

So yeah, despite some issues I have with fisheries policies (and its with the policies, not the hard working people tasked with the thankless job of implementing and enforcing it) they're not doing a half bad job, especially trying to balance all the needs, from meat-fishers to the C&R zealots.

This is a tough province for fisheries. We can, and ought to do better, but frankly, those of us old enough to vote either (1) don't vote or (2) get sucked into the never-ending debates about health-education-economy-debt-sustainability fund-oil royalties /bitumen bubbles. And those issues completely dominate our political discussions.

Let's face it, the gov't pays very little attention to fisheries, because we enable them to largely ignore it. And the fishing pressure issue of anglers per lake / waterbody will continue to grow, as long as this province becomes a net in-migration province, as we inexorably march towards 4 million people...

Smitty
Old 07-19-2013, 10:51 PM

Great post. One thing to remember is that alot of the lakes up north in other provinces are far more inaccessable than most in Alberta, so the anglers per lake is more concentrated to the south. Still WAY less pressure than alberta sees...
Old 07-20-2013, 02:04 AM

One thing people don't count are the big lakes, such as the great lakes, which have a massive amount of fish and can take a lot of non-commercial pressure. Alberta has nothing like that, mostly toy boats on tiny lakes.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:55 AM

When I was camping on the may long we had a few guys pull into our site to ask how the fishing was. We told them lots of small pike. He then went on to b**** and complain (in a thick foreign accent) about how stupid Albertas fishing regs were and how he had such a hard time catching legal sized fish to take home and eat. I though to myself it's because of guys like this that try to limit out every time they go fishing that the rules are so strict. If people would just catch and release and make do with only a few fish frys every year there would be bigger and more fish. Some people just don't look at things from any ones perspectives but their own
Old 07-20-2013, 09:28 AM

Not everyone is a C&R fisherman...nor should they be. Not everyone is an anti-hunter...nor should they be.

Canada is blessed with resources, we choose to utilize them in our own way.

I don't hunt, but I do fish. I don't keep/kill Alberta fish, but I have kept the odd walleye in the past, and I certainly keep BC coastal species. To each his/her own. It's unfair to pass judgement on those sportsmen who choose to enjoy wild meat, fish or fowl.

Our resources belong to all Canadians, not just to the elite, the fortunate, or the self righteous....with or without thick foreign accents.

To the point of the OPs original comment...Alberta has over 150 times the fishing pressure of Sask and other provinces. Reading into that statistic, that's probably why we have reduced limits, collapsed zero-retention fisheries, and a tag system, among other fishery initiatives, in an effort to halt the further decline of a fragile resource.

"Sustainability"

The "powers that be" have determined that it is sustainable to keep a walleye over XX cms from YY lake...who are we to say different?

Or do we wait until "AO forum scientists" give the OK to allow us to re-begin the harvest?