Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-09-2013, 03:03 AM
Banned

imho wayne is a true ambasseder of sturgeon fishing in alberta and guys like welder and feur are just suffering from sturgeon envy.
stick to your computer keyboards boys.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
imho wayne is a true ambasseder of sturgeon fishing in alberta and guys like welder and feur are just suffering from sturgeon envy.
stick to your computer keyboards boys.
Not suffering from anything. Just saying how I've been told how to handle large fish like that.

Guys that feel the urge to be ignorant on the forums just baffle me.

Again beauty sturgeon Wayne and congrats on catching a fish of a life time.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:06 AM

Wayne and I took great care in handling that fish. Except for those few pics. she was lifted and handled by both of us. I'm very confidant she will be fine.As far as that rumour of a 74" it was just that a rumour.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:34 AM

That is an amazing fish. Well done Wayne. You are the sturgeon master!
That one makes me wonder how big they can get in Alberta.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneGirlWolfPack View Post
In your opinion how should a fish that heavy be held? And I'm not being argumentative. I genuinely want to know how you feel it should have been held for the picture.
Large fish should be handled in a large cradle. Something basic and inexpensive such as 2 hockey sticks and some netting would work.

I can't believe that nobody is agreeing with me on this. Supposedly the guy holding the fish is well known on the forum; maybe that's why. Would it be ok if he held a northern pike up by the eyes?

Do people look at this pic and believe that this is how sturgeon should be handled??? Just because he has re-caught previously caught fish does not mean that he is doing right btw. It only means that those particular fish survived his fine handling techniques.

Again, someone please step up and explain why this is how large sturgeon should be handled. I noticed lots of mouthpieces step up to support the fisherman. Now, those people should please explain why I am wrong and that his fish handling techniques are correct.

Or should you just run me down because I am new here and he is popular?

Either way, I don't really care. I have already received an infraction for calling someone a name yet others can do it to me. It must be a tight knit group here with some receiving more lenient treatment than others. However, I am the ONLY one saying its wrong to hold the fish that way. I must be wrong then and he is demonstrating the correct way to hold sturgeon.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welding dude View Post
Large fish should be handled in a large cradle. Something basic and inexpensive such as 2 hockey sticks and some netting would work.

I can't believe that nobody is agreeing with me on this. Supposedly the guy holding the fish is well known on the forum; maybe that's why. Would it be ok if he held a northern pike up by the eyes?

Do people look at this pic and believe that this is how sturgeon should be handled??? Just because he has re-caught previously caught fish does not mean that he is doing right btw. It only means that those particular fish survived his fine handling techniques.

Again, someone please step up and explain why this is how large sturgeon should be handled. I noticed lots of mouthpieces step up to support the fisherman. Now, those people should please explain why I am wrong and that his fish handling techniques are correct.

Either way, I don't really care. I have already received an infraction for calling someone a name yet others can do it to me. It must be a tight knit group here with some receiving more lenient treatment than others. However, I am the ONLY one saying its wrong to hold the fish that way. I must be wrong then and he is demonstrating the correct way to hold sturgeon.
We will take your advice on the cradle. Now can we move on.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago View Post
We will take your advice on the cradle. Now can we move on.
Perfect, problem solved, hopefully those select few can move on now and let the rest of us enjoy the great photos of an awesome fish. Congrats guys!!!!!
Old 07-09-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fehr View Post
Beautiful fish Congrats!!

Not to detract from such a beauty catch but a fish that size would be better off kept in the water for pictures or handled by 2 people for the brief amount of time for pictures, or on the gunnel of the boat to support the organs of the fish.
Just makes it safer for the fish and the people holding the fish.

Definitely the catch of a lifetime tho! Congratulations again!!
Agree

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:29 AM

Im going to play devils advocate a bit here and mean no disrespect to anyone. I truly believe that there was no harm done to the fish as these guys know what they are doing when it comes to handling sturgeon.

But on the other side of things when dealing with fish of the size it probably would be best to get into the water with them and give them that bit more support that they need due to there weight.(We always bring wadders along in the boat) Ive only seen one of that size before and that is how we handled it. Not saying my way is the only way or the right way maybe just the more appropriate easier on the fish way. Have a misshandled big fish before? YEP. But its all apart of the learning curve I guess. Once again great fish, I hope someday to break that magic 60# mark. And Btw those craddels that go from gunnel to gunnel are awesome for holding fish while tagging and measuring. sure makes a guys life a heck of alot easier and the fish calm rite down.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:35 PM

Nice fish! Congrats on the catch!

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

http://youtu.be/3JbTBYk7xII

http://youtu.be/Ujl2kz1M8y8
Old 07-09-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
Im going to play devils advocate a bit here and mean no disrespect to anyone. I truly believe that there was no harm done to the fish as these guys know what they are doing when it comes to handling sturgeon.

But on the other side of things when dealing with fish of the size it probably would be best to get into the water with them and give them that bit more support that they need due to there weight.(We always bring wadders along in the boat) Ive only seen one of that size before and that is how we handled it. Not saying my way is the only way or the right way maybe just the more appropriate easier on the fish way. Have a misshandled big fish before? YEP. But its all apart of the learning curve I guess. Once again great fish, I hope someday to break that magic 60# mark. And Btw those craddels that go from gunnel to gunnel are awesome for holding fish while tagging and measuring. sure makes a guys life a heck of alot easier and the fish calm rite down.
I'll be the first to admit we weren't prepared for such a big fish. We learned a few things. The craddle is built. It's an old stretcher that will go across the boat. Do you think that canvas they make the stretchers out of be alright.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welding dude View Post

The problem has nothing to do with being new or popular. You went on the attack in a childish manner for no apparent reason. Others expressed opinions similar to yours but they did so with class. Many people on this board have fished with Wayne and Dago and they know that both of them are great guys who are awesome with those fish. Sure they're going to have moments where they make mistakes or suddenly be in situations they weren't expecting, just like the rest of us but they're learning new things as they go along too. There was no reason to insult them like you did.

Anyway, congrats on an awesome catch you guys! I can't imagine what it felt like to land such a beauty.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I'll be the first to admit we weren't prepared for such a big fish. We learned a few things. The craddle is built. It's an old stretcher that will go across the boat. Do you think that canvas they make the stretchers out of be alright.
Sounds like a good idea...
I'm not getting into the whole debate, just glad u guys are having success and glad you are learning better handling techniques. I have full confidence u gentlemen try your hardest to ease stress on big sturgies and will only get better at it. I swear, I am still learning something new every time I go fishing...for whatever...and I've been fishing several years now.
I'll be the first to admit I was undergunned the first time I caught a big girl, learned the lesson again on a bigger one. Now I'm good to go. We live, we learn. And what you are doing is for a good cause, not to mention the sheer FUN of it!
So I say keep on keeping on, build the cradle/stretcher n keep me coming

O ya... The reason I am posting hah, Dago, I see we are tied at 35 count in sturgies. Hmm, don't think I can keep up with Wayne with the lil fella in my life now, so I'm setting a goal to keep up with you lol. Good luck, I think I'm gonna get back at em Thursday. Though I don't have a cradle....hah, I won't be tagging anyway lol. But if big mama comes to shore, darn right she's a coming out for a quick pic

Cheers!
Old 07-09-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Yea I think that would work pretty decent, maybe get some canvas water proofing spray. Same stuff you use on a wall tent. I'm not exactly sure what mine is made up of but it's almost a plastic tarp like material but much heavier. And one sad has a bit of a top to keep the fish in the dark.
Not the greatest pic of it but it works well to keep the fish in water.

Here is sturgeon hounds 72" fork length he caught 3 summers ago this fish never touched a cradle or left the water. He knew a lot more than I did about safe handling of fish I would have probably drug it up the shore then before I knew better. Lol

Once again congrats! I hope to make it down there this summer. Maybe ill see you guys around and we can have a beer after a good days fishing! Keep up the good work you boys are slayin'em
Old 07-09-2013, 03:31 PM

Default Wayno ....Biggo....Niceo...

I am a little ****ed , I told The Dodger wouldn't get past page 1
before the free advise arrived ....

Good thing you didn't catch that in Manitoba ,would already be in the smoker.... Cradles make bad pics .... I am sure that no fish were hurt in that photo op. The proper pic for big sturgeon is to submerge yourself in
the water up to your ears ,pull the fish in under your chin and slowly stand up......Cradled in both your arms ....A video of that method would be invaluable as a learning tool....no n I mean experience.

This is a clique....the secret ceremonial drink involves burbot and prune juice . For obvious reasons a very small clique.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:36 PM

Canvas will not be good for your cradle. Ideally you want something that allows water to flow through.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
Canvas will not be good for your cradle. Ideally you want something that allows water to flow through.
Go to the auto wreckers and get a bunch of seat belt strapping. A one inch gap between each belt.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-09-2013, 04:59 PM

Gorgeous fish, darlin'!

I can just imagine the look on G's face if he was standing beside a fish like that.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:08 PM

Great fish. Thanks for the pictures and story.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Go to the auto wreckers and get a bunch of seat belt strapping. A one inch gap between each belt.
I've been looking into what I can use instead of canvas. A cargo net that is for a back of a half ton should work well.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:35 PM

O ya... The reason I am posting hah, Dago, I see we are tied at 35 count in sturgies. Hmm, don't think I can keep up with Wayne with the lil fella in my life now, so I'm setting a goal to keep up with you lol. Good luck, I think I'm gonna get back at em Thursday. Though I don't have a cradle....hah, I won't be tagging anyway lol. But if big mama comes to shore, darn right she's a coming out for a quick pic

Cheers![/QUOTE]

The race is on lol. The next time we're up that way you'll have to come out with us.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:04 PM

Good thing your getting a stretcher !! After my last trip fishing with Wayne and catching my personal best 55" fish, Wayne could have used the stretcher to drag me out of the water as I was hyperventilating from the adrenaline rush.

My $0.05 to this conversation. The previous time out with Wayne we had a S&R officer stop, watch us land a sturgeon, then he wanted pics with a sturgeon Wayne just tagged. No comments about handling?

FYI, He has all of his handling and tagging gear set and ready before his line hits the water.

Nice fish my friend !

Dodger.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:06 PM

hey wayne just curious what pound test line were you using to haul in that hog?
Old 07-09-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
hey wayne just curious what pound test line were you using to haul in that hog?
I was using my new Okuma baitcaster with 80 pound suffix 832 and and very glad I switched to using Gammakatsu hooks, dont think the mustads I had been using up til lately would have taken the strain. Had my tiger rod bent around the boat quite a few times, the old hooks would likely have straightened out. (again)

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-09-2013, 07:20 PM

That fish is insane! Congrats! I never would have thought that Alberta held a fish that was as long as me (height wise I mean ).
Old 07-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneGirlWolfPack View Post
The problem has nothing to do with being new or popular. You went on the attack in a childish manner for no apparent reason. Others expressed opinions similar to yours but they did so with class. Many people on this board have fished with Wayne and Dago and they know that both of them are great guys who are awesome with those fish. Sure they're going to have moments where they make mistakes or suddenly be in situations they weren't expecting, just like the rest of us but they're learning new things as they go along too. There was no reason to insult them like you did.

Anyway, congrats on an awesome catch you guys! I can't imagine what it felt like to land such a beauty.
does anyone else wonder who welding dude was in his previous handle....seems eerily familiar???....
Old 07-09-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie66 View Post
That fish is insane! Congrats! I never would have thought that Alberta held a fish that was as long as me (height wise I mean ).
exact height as me too. guess it was just meant to be

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-09-2013, 07:50 PM

Great fish congrats!
Old 07-09-2013, 07:55 PM

wow that's some great info wayne. i am currently setup with an ugly stick big game rod even though i was told mixed reviews after i bought it, and a huge okuma spinning reel spooled with 60lb berkley big game line. it didn't even dawn on me to think about the hooks. was hoping to break it in this year but so busy working right now.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:

Cheers!
The race is on lol. The next time we're up that way you'll have to come out with us.[/QUOTE]

I concur! Wayne n I been saying that to each other for bout what, 5yrs now lol. Back to work in sept, would love to hook up with ya before summers out, sturg or not, ssr= good times yet to fish it since the floods... Hope my holes are okay....I feel alright?

Congrats again fellas!