Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-05-2014, 08:44 AM

Default Bottom Metal - Savage .22 lr/Mark 11E

I bought a Boyd's stock about 6 months ago. At the time, they did not have the bottom metal package but I ordered the stock anyway. Their web site at that time indicated that bottom metal "may" not be needed as my .22 came in a laminated stock. Wrong - the Boyd's stock is inletted for the rear of the trigger guard so a trigger new guard is necessary.

The old mag plate fit ok but a new trigger guard was needed. I finally got to Edmonton and picked up a package for $50 from Western Gun Parts. The trigger guard is metal, is mat black, and dropped right in. There were two mag plates - one with a rectangular cut out (fit mine) and one with a wedge-shaped cut out - and both were a fit length-wise. The metal is just a bit thicker than the original. The front screw was just a tick long but the others worked fine. Better a tick long that being to short.

The above may be of interest to anyone who is thinking about bringing in a Boyd's stock. Total cost was $99 for the stock plus $70 for customs/shipping to Calgary (USPS/Canada Post) plus the $50 for bottom metal. Had the bottom metal been shipped with the stock, it would have saved about $25.