Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-16-2014, 09:48 AM

Default Upper Old Man

Does anyone know if the road that heads west of the Old Man campground ever got repaired after the flood last year? I drove it twice last year, once just after the flood and again at the end of August and the road is literally gone at one of the bends of the river. I will be camping down there this weekend and was thinking of heading that way again but will try somewhere else if I find out the road is still gone. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old 07-16-2014, 09:54 AM

Yup it's good. Drove on it in the spring
Old 07-16-2014, 12:11 PM

If you are talking the Old Man River North area the washout remains and to get to down there you need to go around a road closed blockade. According to the SRD guy we spoke to they have no intension to rebuild the road at that point.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:35 PM

Default upper oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4bowhunter View Post
Does anyone know if the road that heads west of the Old Man campground ever got repaired after the flood last year? I drove it twice last year, once just after the flood and again at the end of August and the road is literally gone at one of the bends of the river. I will be camping down there this weekend and was thinking of heading that way again but will try somewhere else if I find out the road is still gone. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Road is out at about he 7-8 km mark
Old 07-16-2014, 12:56 PM

It is all open between hwy22(maycroft) and the forestry trunk road and between Coleman and the turn to Indian graves(532). I think 532 is actually fixed but not re opened.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:45 PM

Was there last weekend and it is still blocked
Old 07-16-2014, 01:50 PM

Thanks for the replies. Thats what i figured. I heard there are quite a few trailers that are still back there abandoned because of the flood last year. That would surly suck for those people if they never fix the road. That being said, the fishing and hunting will only get better every year up there if the only access is by quad.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:58 PM

I turned from 22 at maycroft and then west off the trunk road and fallowed the river for quite a few Kms and the road was fine and not blockades so not sure what everyone is talking about. And I was just in a little car
Old 07-16-2014, 02:24 PM

Default Maybe

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Thats what i figured. I heard there are quite a few trailers that are still back there abandoned because of the flood last year. That would surly suck for those people if they never fix the road. That being said, the fishing and hunting will only get better every year up there if the only access is by quad.
I like remote access as much as the next guy. Can't comment on the hunting - don't know enough - but I can tell you the fishing won't necessarily get better if the quadders rip up the stream bed. And I say that as someone who has owned a quad. Enforcement and education for the proper use of OHV in this province is sadly lacking as a general rule.

Smitty
Old 07-16-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
I turned from 22 at maycroft and then west off the trunk road and fallowed the river for quite a few Kms and the road was fine and not blockades so not sure what everyone is talking about. And I was just in a little car
Not sure where that rumor started. I have been on both roads many times this spring starting in April and last trip in was last week. The Maycroft road has been excellent. As stated before Coleman to 532 could be traveled by a Sports car? Many fifth wheel land Yachts and motor homes and heavy equipment for fire watch going in. West of the Dutch creek camp ground they may be referring to. It is already crazy busy with ATV's etc.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:15 PM

How the Lower and its tribs? (belly and st mary) I was there last year
Old 07-16-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Not sure where that rumor started. I have been on both roads many times this spring starting in April and last trip in was last week. The Maycroft road has been excellent. As stated before Coleman to 532 could be traveled by a Sports car? Many fifth wheel land Yachts and motor homes and heavy equipment for fire watch going in. West of the Dutch creek camp ground they may be referring to. It is already crazy busy with ATV's etc.
if your going back the campground road,you can only get 7-8 km then blocked
Old 07-16-2014, 05:04 PM

I was on both road. Dutch creek road has a big wasp it crack at 11km mark just past the turn off to the bridge. Oldman road that parallel with the river (the road take you to the upper falls) were blocked I think just before hidden creek turn off. Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks!
Old 07-16-2014, 09:19 PM

The road I am talking about heads west of the Old Man Campground Not the Maycroft road or the forestry trunk road. I was on both of those last week and yes they are both good to drive on. From a few of the posts though I'm guessing the road that heads west of the Old Man Campground is still wiped out at the 7km mark. Thanks again for the info.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:42 PM
Banned

Anyone ever take a run down there and see if its open or not?
Old 07-17-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
The road I am talking about heads west of the Old Man Campground Not the Maycroft road or the forestry trunk road. I was on both of those last week and yes they are both good to drive on. From a few of the posts though I'm guessing the road that heads west of the Old Man Campground is still wiped out at the 7km mark. Thanks again for the info.
About 11 km from the FTR and no it ain't fixed yet, supposedly some time this summer or fall.

I know the owners of the 2 nice 5th wheelers up at Km28. They'll sell'em cheap about now.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
About 11 km from the FTR and no it ain't fixed yet, supposedly some time this summer or fall.

I know the owners of the 2 nice 5th wheelers up at Km28. They'll sell'em cheap about now.
thats too bad, i'd seriously be surprised if they ever re-do the road completely... seems only if someone gets a lease on the land to log it that it will get replaced.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
thats too bad, i'd seriously be surprised if they ever re-do the road completely... seems only if someone gets a lease on the land to log it that it will get replaced.
To the falls is a public road, province is responsible for repairs. Above the falls is a SLS deal although you could always hope some oil company wants to poke another hole 30km up. SLS is apparently done with that area until 2025.

Last edited by Taco; 07-19-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:42 PM

There were excavators and haul trucks running in and out of there all day friday past Oldman north. Not sure what they were doing up there as I didn't go up the road. Didn't see this thread until now.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:09 PM

Hopeful sign, I may get out there sometime this week

Thanks
Old 07-20-2014, 04:24 PM

was there on saturday. where the bridge is washed out is where the excavator and haulers are at