Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
The Via train still runs that route to Churchill, so the tracks must be active. Might not be any freight that moves on them though.

Worth mentioning the via train is scheduled to go through there headed north late Monday night. I also believe it stops for 30 minutes but can’t remember.
Yes the train runs twice a week to Churchill

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Yes the train runs twice a week to Churchill

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Yea, and I’m guessing they have freight moving on those tracks to. Can’t see them paying to maintain them just for passenger use.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 07-25-2019, 06:45 PM

Trains are running both via and freight.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:47 PM

I hope they are taken alive to help reconcile with the families of those affected and so we know the full story (bug bitten and begging for help might not hurt my feelings). I hope this done before anyone else is hurt. Crazy how much anxiety they have caused, we are in the Peace Country and we have changed a few habits ourselves after hearing about this.

Getting way ahead of myself but;

If they are caught and both found guilty:

I do not have faith in our system, to hope for three consecutive life sentences is that a stretch? It shouldn't be, but to have them actually serve that is another matter and grievance of mine.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:04 PM

They could be anywhere, could have burnt the car, walked out to the highway and hitched a ride with a trucker or someone within minutes or hours of burning the car. Could be holed up in a cabin somewhere. Could have found an occupied cabin, killed and stole another vehicle and nobody would know. Could be they killed themselves. Who knows. Will be interesting how this plays out.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:58 PM
Banned

Kinda weird that they’d head th Gilliam of all places. It makes me wonder if they didn’t have someone that they met online that would help them hide. There it is, another theory to throw in the mix.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Kinda weird that they’d head th Gilliam of all places. It makes me wonder if they didn’t have someone that they met online that would help them hide. There it is, another theory to throw in the mix.

Bahahaha! Three weirdos living in mom’s basement now...lol.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
That is a good point. If you're on the run, why would you go to Gillam?
Old 07-25-2019, 09:11 PM

Makes me wonder what forums they frequented, since they were survivalists? CGN, AO, etc... Usernames?
Old 07-25-2019, 09:14 PM

Wonder if these boys knew that Gilliam was the end of the line (road) not sure they are that smart. But if they did go north thinking their weekend survival training course would allow them to hide and live in that part of the bush, I think we can all bet they are done in a week.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:24 PM

Default The hunt is on

The horse flies should take care of them within a few days.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:25 PM

One forest fire coming up
Old 07-25-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
One forest fire coming up
Please elaborate.

Would it not help them if they started one?

Is one already started?

One could start one to "chase" them out.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Please elaborate. They are going to start one or one is currently going?
I think he was half heartedly joking by saying to smoke them out!
Old 07-25-2019, 09:59 PM

I've only read a couple few poorly written stories on this, and I can't figure out how some here think that they have survival skills or are cagey.

They instantly drew heat, and were identified as suspects, in pretty uninhabited country. The one without the unfortunate facial hair sounds fairly underdeveloped. Never learned how to ride a bike, or drive, and sounds like he couldn't hack it at Walmart. Now they're without transportation at a dead end, and they drew attention to that spot.

So far, nothing's screaming "mastermind!" to me...

They could have hid the car anywhere on the road, and acquired one that no one's looking for fairly easy.

Right now, they're likely a couple miles from the burnt out wreck, quietly hoping for death.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 07-25-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Bahahaha! Three weirdos living in mom’s basement now...lol.
You took the words right out of my mouth....playin grand theft auto, growin beards, chillin. Those boys gonna grow up real fast all of a sudden.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
I think he was half heartedly joking by saying to smoke them out!

LOL, agreed. But it did make me think. What if they start one? Sorry off topic.

Last edited by Indy; 07-25-2019 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:33 PM

Was watching the 10:00 pm National News, they said they were spotted in Split Lake and later in Gillam on Monday 22nd. They showed a pick of the train tracks in the area, they looked in rough shape but a possible escape route, but nor likely. They interviewed the fellow who found the burning car who called police, he said it took them about 45 minutes to get to the site while he & the Mrs. & kid waited there. They also said there's lots of cabins and places to hide, it's the locals hunting land. I believe they'll be found by the weekend, most likely dead.

D.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:58 PM

Crazy that it is Thursday night and nothing heard of them since Monday when the burnt SUV was found. They might be trying to live in the bush there or maybe they're in rural Ontario somewhere and had a second vehicle. Three full days of radio silence when there is a Canada-wide man hunt going on is no easy task, albeit there's certainly a lot of places to hide when you're way out in BFE.

Worst part is it is so hard to figure out facts from hearsay about the guys. Just in this thread we have some saying the one kid doesn't even know how to ride a bike or drive yet elsewhere I read that they worked hard to learn to live in the bush.

I just hope justice is served to these two.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
I've only read a couple few poorly written stories on this, and I can't figure out how some here think that they have survival skills or are cagey.
If I recall correctly, the father of one of the dudes said something along the lines of “they have been hiding for the past 2.5 years” in remote places. Something of that nature anyway.

I agree though. None of their actions make any sense, starting with murder(s) and ending up in Gillam. Burning vehicles is pretty ridiculous too. They are either completely clueless or... Well, on the other hand, how many of you thought that you can handle most anything when you were 18-19 (you can probably deduct two to three years from that because brains develop differently) year olds and now, perhaps, think “was I dumb or what”? Whatever their mental state is, they may have watched a few movies of people torching a car “to get rid of the evidence and confuse the cops”, then hit a middle of nowhere and survive on the land or find some “abandoned” cabin and disappear there forever. They may as well think they are Rambo’s. And their plan may as well be (or was) to live in the bush until things calmed down.

Regardless of what it is, it really does not strike me as some genius plan from the start to where we are now.

I guess we will see. Hope no one else gets hurt by the time it is over and hope they get caught rather sooner than later.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Crazy that it is Thursday night and nothing heard of them since Monday when the burnt SUV was found. They might be trying to live in the bush there or maybe they're in rural Ontario somewhere and had a second vehicle. Three full days of radio silence when there is a Canada-wide man hunt going on is no easy task, albeit there's certainly a lot of places to hide when you're way out in BFE.

Worst part is it is so hard to figure out facts from hearsay about the guys. Just in this thread we have some saying the one kid doesn't even know how to ride a bike or drive yet elsewhere I read that they worked hard to learn to live in the bush.

I did read some news article that said they had some bush skills.Never said they had excellent bush skills ,just that they spent time together living in the bush.

There's that window of about 12 to 20 hours before the cops start to block things off,so they may have jumped a train and headed back south.

I don't think there is any master plan on there part,but they did go from Dease lake to Gilliam which is around 3500 km's drive with ease.

Why Gilliam who the heck knows and I just hope they haven't run into some cabin where someone is fishing enjoying there summer.You can go by boat for a long ways on that river system from Gillam south.

There's planes fitted with all kinda stuff for day and night surveillance ,so I think the bush or train.

It's a shame to destroy not just 3 lives along with the 3 dead ones families,along with there own families.

I hope they get tagged soon.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I did read some news article that said they had some bush skills.Never said they had excellent bush skills ,just that they spent time together living in the bush.

There's that window of about 12 to 20 hours before the cops start to block things off,so they may have jumped a train and headed back south.

I don't think there is any master plan on there part,but they did go from Dease lake to Gilliam which is around 3500 km's drive with ease.

Why Gilliam who the heck knows and I just hope they haven't run into some cabin where someone is fishing enjoying there summer.You can go by boat for a long ways on that river system from Gillam south.

There's planes fitted with all kinda stuff for day and night surveillance ,so I think the bush or train.

It's a shame to destroy not just 3 lives along with the 3 dead ones families,along with there own families.

I hope they get tagged soon.

I hope they find them soon.

Yes 3500km with ease but they were just considered missing persons initially not suspects. In my experience you put suspect in front of a name and more people keep an eye out for them. Missing persons doesn’t get the same attention. My sister in Manitoba says her agency is getting numerous calls saying they’ve sighted the two... I pray they are caught before anyone else’s life is ruined and more families have to suffer needlessly!!!!
Old 07-26-2019, 12:14 AM

Default Armored vehicle

I can't see the police bringing in heavy vehicles like this unless they were fairly certain the suspects were in the vicinity.

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1737790
Old 07-26-2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Yes 3500km with ease but they were just considered missing persons initially not suspects. In my experience you put suspect in front of a name and more people keep an eye out for them. Missing persons doesn’t get the same attention. My sister in Manitoba says her agency is getting numerous calls saying they’ve sighted the two... I pray they are caught before anyone else’s life is ruined and more families have to suffer needlessly!!!!
Of coarse they had an open window of 2 or 3 days to flee ,but many across Canada were surprised to hear they were now in northern Manitoba.

One guy can't drive according to the news so the one still had to be alert to drive that far with no errors after doing what they did at Dease lake.When I say with ease I meant no problems with vehicle .

Of coarse once your face is on every paper across the country,every one is looking to spot them.

Either way I hope no one innocent gets hurt.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
Makes me wonder, for the people in Manitoba where these killers may be, if you look out the window of your home and see these two guys trying to break into your house, what would the RCMP recommend you do? Defend yourself or call the cops and patiently wait for them to arrive? ( obviously I know what I’d do)
I worked out of Gillam and I don't think anyone around there would be cowering and waiting for help from the police, pretty tough people. Especially once the word got out that there were bad guys around. I do hope they dont take some unsuspecting trapper or "good samaritan" motorist by surprise though.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
Makes me wonder, for the people in Manitoba where these killers may be, if you look out the window of your home and see these two guys trying to break into your house, what would the RCMP recommend you do? Defend yourself or call the cops and patiently wait for them to arrive? ( obviously I know what I’d do)
Yup, that's Canada for ya. If you defended against these two bozos, you'd get charged.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post

According to the one boy's dad, he never learned to ride a bike, or drive. Based on that information, if he can't pick up basic life skills, I can't see his bush craft being too stellar. Bush life is a little about figuring out stuff on your own, as well as having wilderness knowledge.

Because I go out camping and spend a few hours away from the truck, doesn't give me any exceptional woods skills. It's pretty easy travelling with gear, and using the stuff that other people made, and preparing food you've brought. A bit different knowing that you can make flour from cat tails, eat the inner at another time of year, collecting chaga along the way for a hot drink, and picking up your snares to reset them. And being able to do it consistently, eat, and keep yourself healthy.

And the other one isn't likely to be much of a superstar either. Birds of a feather... They are no Albert Johnsons, and I hope they are gunned down much quicker. Or eaten. I'm OK with bones and remnants of a struggle found.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 07-26-2019, 07:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
According to the one boy's dad, he never learned to ride a bike, or drive. Based on that information, if he can't pick up basic life skills, I can't see his bush craft being too stellar. Bush life is a little about figuring out stuff on your own, as well as having wilderness knowledge.

Because I go out camping and spend a few hours away from the truck, doesn't give me any exceptional woods skills. It's pretty easy travelling with gear, and using the stuff that other people made, and preparing food you've brought. A bit different knowing that you can make flour from cat tails, eat the inner at another time of year, collecting chaga along the way for a hot drink, and picking up your snares to reset them. And being able to do it consistently, eat, and keep yourself healthy.

And the other one isn't likely to be much of a superstar either. Birds of a feather... They are no Albert Johnsons, and I hope they are gunned down much quicker. Or eaten. I'm OK with bones and remnants of a struggle found.
Maybe Sasquatch is helping them out
Old 07-26-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:

They instantly drew heat, and were identified as suspects, in pretty uninhabited country. The one without the unfortunate facial hair sounds fairly underdeveloped. Never learned how to ride a bike, or drive, and sounds like he couldn't hack it at Walmart. Now they're without transportation at a dead end, and they drew attention to that spot.

So far, nothing's screaming "mastermind!" to me...

They could have hid the car anywhere on the road, and acquired one that no one's looking for fairly easy.

Right now, they're likely a couple miles from the burnt out wreck, quietly hoping for death.
Don't think they'll be going far in that kind of bush. Just for fun, I've tried. Thicker than hairs on a dog and insects beyond your wildest nightmares.

Grizz
Old 07-26-2019, 08:22 AM

The whole country's playing where's Waldo. some really crazy theory's out there.
Master criminals planned this months ago and planted a cache of survival gear at Gillam.
Stole a second car and burned the car as red herring to throw the cops off their trail except there is only one road in and out.
Had a canoe planted and are heading for the Hudson bay to catch a fishing boat for the escape.
My own theory is two knuckleheads had no plan they ran till they ran out of road, walked are far as they could before they killed themselves driven to maddness by black flies.

Flir camera's can't find dead bodies look for flocks of magpie's