Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2019, 09:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
Its a piece of paper, how hard is it to carry it? I photocopy several and stash them in all my gear. One in the truck, one in my backpack, and another in my jacket and a spare, just in case. Same goes with my fishing licenses. No reason whatsoever to not have a copy on you at all times. Its not the officers responsibility to prove you have a license by checking, its yours, its the law.
To much running around and looking for loopholes and what if scenarios. Its getting tired.
C'mon...if you can't blame someone else what's the point
Old 06-11-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainaccent View Post
Intent on hunting If you have rifle bow hunting gear your have intent on hunting don’t matter if you just left your spot or not. Written in the regs pretty easy to understand
Wrong.... I am taking my gun for a drive. Nothing against any law bout that.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Eagle View Post
Wrong.... I am taking my gun for a drive. Nothing against any law bout that.
I have a gun that never leaves my truck.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:47 PM

Two summers ago I was fishing at Slave Lake and there was a bunch of late teens/young adults fishing as well. FW pulled over to check for licenses. A few people got tickets. One was trying to convince the FW officer that he has the license but forgot it at home. He got a ticket and was told to fax or email the “predated” license to the officer handing out the fines and the ticket would be retracted/cancelled.

I am sure some can look it up on the spot, some probably can’t. Regardless, they can issue a fine for not having a printed copy. I think it is weird in this day and age and one should be able to present a digital copy on the phone, but it is what it is.

I was once pulled over (for speeding) and found out that I lost my insurance card but had an expired one in the glove compartment (I usually have two slips, one in the wallet and one in the glove compartment, but somehow both disappeared). The cop called the insurance company using my expired slip to confirm I was still insured. He had every right to issue a ticket on the spot, but he was nice enough to give me a break. He said if it was a weekend or it was after hours, I would not be so lucky. I assuming if it was another officer, or this one would be in a bad mood, I would drive away with two tickets, instead of just one for speeding.

Someone mentioned that they need a paper copy because they scan it. This is not true. If you ever travel and park your vehicle at the airport and then loose your parking stub, they will scan it from the photo of it you took earlier just as they would a printed copy. You do not need a printed copy for scanning purposes.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainaccent View Post
Right from the regs. An no I’ve asked if photos of license saved are good and answer is no because the scan them. Oh well not hard to carry them

you sure?

"Download the AlbertaRelm APP and easily store your licences electronically! Please remember that the onus is on the hunter to produce the electronic or paper licence when requested by an officer during field compliance checks."
Old 06-11-2019, 06:37 PM

So I am a few days ahead of my hunting trip and I am coming back from the gun store with new rifle and ammo. I get stopped and I have no license. I can get a fine because I had intent? Or I am travelling down the road to pick up a friend to go hunting the morning but we haven’t purchased our licenses yet or left them at another house. Still intent?

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 06-11-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post

Someone mentioned that they need a paper copy because they scan it. This is not true. If you ever travel and park your vehicle at the airport and then loose your parking stub, they will scan it from the photo of it you took earlier just as they would a printed copy. You do not need a printed copy for scanning purposes.
You need a signed paper copy because it's the law. I got stopped by a conservation officer (not F&W) several years ago, and when he asked for my license, I discovered that it must have fallen out of my waders. I did, however have a picture of it on my phone. He accepted that I had a license because of the picture but gave me a verbal warning because I didn't have the paper version.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 06-11-2019, 07:05 PM

My SIL is a fish cop, he tells me you need to be able to produce your license when asked. Picture won’t do. But.. an honest hunter with a good attitude makes for a fish cop using his discretion. He is good guy and I hunt with him, so I will need to go with this answer. And he would love it if the license and tags could be produced electronically. Nobody is out there without a phone( his words)
Old 06-11-2019, 07:08 PM

F&W stops you while you are in the act of hunting

You fail to produce your license

Its irrelevant whether you HAVE one or not

You fail to produce it.

He could go to extra effort to check, but that’s irrelevant. He is writing you a ticket for fail to produce.

If I run to pick up my friend from work and leave my operators license at home, the cop who pulls me over can give me a ticket for failing to produce my license. It doesn’t matter that he can look it up. It’s my responsibility to produce it.

If you are driving back to camp, you are simply driving your truck. Especially if its dark. If it is still legal light, you might have a hard time convincing a judge that, if a moose popped out, that you would drive by because your license is back at camp....im not sure id gamble on that one.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 06-11-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
Its a piece of paper, how hard is it to carry it? I photocopy several and stash them in all my gear. One in the truck, one in my backpack, and another in my jacket and a spare, just in case. Same goes with my fishing licenses. No reason whatsoever to not have a copy on you at all times. Its not the officers responsibility to prove you have a license by checking, its yours, its the law.
To much running around and looking for loopholes and what if scenarios. Its getting tired.
For sure ! It will probably cost you a lot of time and money to find a loophole that might work if you are even suspected of committing an offence .. and have to prove your innocence. It's the CO's call. Best not to play games.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
You need a signed paper copy because it's the law. I got stopped by a conservation officer (not F&W) several years ago, and when he asked for my license, I discovered that it must have fallen out of my waders. I did, however have a picture of it on my phone. He accepted that I had a license because of the picture but gave me a verbal warning because I didn't have the paper version.
Absolutely.
Someone mentioned that the purpose of a paper copy (unless I misread) is the ability for the FW officer to scan it, and that was the part I was addressing. Scanning can be done from the phone just as well as from a paper copy. I personally checked it with the parking stub as mentioned in my example.

Signature thing is also silly. I have been warned about it as well (my fishing license was not signed). Although when I asked her if it really matters, she said not really. Other couple of FW officers I talked to said it does not matter either. I highly doubt that anyone had ever been charged for an unsigned license.

Personally, I always carry all paperwork with me. Never left the house without it yet when going hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
If you are driving back to camp, you are simply driving your truck. Especially if its dark. If it is still legal light, you might have a hard time convincing a judge that, if a moose popped out, that you would drive by because your license is back at camp....im not sure id gamble on that one.
I don’t know. Driving a truck is driving a truck. Be it in daylight or after hours. I don’t think I would have to be proving that if an animal popped out I would just keep driving. Just like I would not have to prove it when driving to a range/shooting spot on crown land out of season. By this logic, I could be charged every time I drive in the bush (it anywhere, really) while having a gun in my vehicle.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:44 PM

It is possible to run a WIN # and check. I've seen it happen.

Also, from the 2019 draw booklet:

"Download the AlbertaRelm APP and easily store your licences electronically! Please remember that the onus is on the hunter to
produce the electronic or paper licence when requested by an officer during field compliance checks."
Old 06-12-2019, 03:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
I apologize, I didn’t know there were people that have never made an innocent mistake. I hope you report yourself if you ever accidentally make a mistak. Or else, in your own words, you will look like a tool.
You pay for your mistakes.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Absolutely.
Someone mentioned that the purpose of a paper copy (unless I misread) is the ability for the FW officer to scan it, and that was the part I was addressing. Scanning can be done from the phone just as well as from a paper copy. I personally checked it with the parking stub as mentioned in my example.

Signature thing is also silly. I have been warned about it as well (my fishing license was not signed). Although when I asked her if it really matters, she said not really. Other couple of FW officers I talked to said it does not matter either. I highly doubt that anyone had ever been charged for an unsigned license.

Personally, I always carry all paperwork with me. Never left the house without it yet when going hunting.

I don’t know. Driving a truck is driving a truck. Be it in daylight or after hours. I don’t think I would have to be proving that if an animal popped out I would just keep driving. Just like I would not have to prove it when driving to a range/shooting spot on crown land out of season. By this logic, I could be charged every time I drive in the bush (it anywhere, really) while having a gun in my vehicle.
I agree with your scenario but in the Op’s post he did say he was headed “back to camp” so it’s a bit different
Old 06-12-2019, 05:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Unless you have game in the vehicle.

And if they check on the computer, and see that you have licenses issued to you, and you have firearms and hunting gear with you, they are going to suspect that you are hiding something. Do you really want to have F&W watching you, because they suspect you of illegal activities?
They can knock themselves out!
Old 06-12-2019, 05:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Man the Leo's must hear it all....just look at this thread....comical.....they must get a good chuckle getting back into thier vehicles and know that they have not heard everything yet.....loop holes, excuses, ya but's etc......just make sure your legal.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-12-2019, 10:43 AM

I think that was listed as a change for this year, electronic scan of licenses on your phone was acceptable.
I'll check that again.

TBark
Old 06-12-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
I think that was listed as a change for this year, electronic scan of licenses on your phone was acceptable.
I'll check that again.

TBark
It has already been quoted twice in this thread
Old 06-12-2019, 11:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Man the Leo's must hear it all....just look at this thread....comical.....they must get a good chuckle getting back into thier vehicles and know that they have not heard everything yet.....loop holes, excuses, ya but's etc......just make sure your legal.
It is comical isn't it.
All the effort into thinking up excuses, trying to second guess the LEO, hoping you get a sympathetic officer...all of which can be avoided by simply putting the piece of paper in your wallet as you are expected to.
Dollars to donuts the people who say it is easy to forget to take the license with you never ever leave the house without their credit cards.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
It is comical isn't it.
All the effort into thinking up excuses, trying to second guess the LEO, hoping you get a sympathetic officer...all of which can be avoided by simply putting the piece of paper in your wallet as you are expected to.
Dollars to donuts the people who say it is easy to forget to take the license with you never ever leave the house without their credit cards.
no one leaves the house without their phone in their pocket either, which is where you are allowed to store your license electronically instead of carrying a piece of paper
Old 06-12-2019, 12:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
no one leaves the house without their phone in their pocket either, which is where you are allowed to store your license electronically instead of carrying a piece of paper
Definitely agree that if as stated the cops should accept that...but I'll guarantee that some of the people posting here would be telling the officer...'gee, I forgot to scan it to my phone...can't you give me a break?'
Old 06-12-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Definitely agree that if as stated the cops should accept that...but I'll guarantee that some of the people posting here would be telling the officer...'gee, I forgot to scan it to my phone...can't you give me a break?'
Seems pretty simple from the Leo point of view.....No.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
It has already been quoted twice in this thread
Liscence yes.

Tags no. How else will they know that you haven't already tagged something?
Old 06-12-2019, 05:50 PM

With this carrying licenses electronically, would I actually need to download the app, which I don’t really need or want, or storing PDF files would be sufficient?
Old 06-12-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
What if I always have game?
Then you hope it’s a 25 year old female (maybe a little desperate) officer.

If I drive to my spot and then realize I don’t have my tags, I immediately stop hunting and become a motorist that happens to have some hunting gear in the truck.

Gerry Burnie
Old 06-12-2019, 06:48 PM

I got checked around Eagle Nest Pass ranger cabin, which is an 18km hike from the road. I had all my hunting papers but didn't think to bring my PAL back there. They had no way to verify so he just said he would check when he got back to his truck and if I didn't have one there would be trouble.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:08 PM

From personal experience. I was hunting and had put my license in my shirt pocket, changed shirts and didn't move the license over, of course thats the day I got stopped and checked after realizing I didn't have my license or tags the officer took my ID, checked the computor, confirmed I actually did have a valid license and wrote me up a warning citation. I felt very stupid and very fortunate and am grateful to the discretion of the officer. bottom line, they have the ability to confirm on the spot if you have a license or not
Old 06-13-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
If your in an area that has cell/internet service and you have your WIN card they can verify. Still doesn't let you off the hook and you are still subject to fines for not carrying your licence/tags on your person if your hunting.
2 seasons ago pheasant hunting the game warden ticketed a guy next to us for not having his license on him. The licence was in his truck a few Kim’s away and he took a pic of it on his phone. He still got the ticket.
So unless something changed in 2 years you must have a copy on you
Old 06-13-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
Liscence yes.

Tags no. How else will they know that you haven't already tagged something?

OP is asking about hunting licence not tags, obviously you need your tags to properly tag an animal should you harvest one. A person having an untagged animal is a completely different scenario
Old 06-13-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
2 seasons ago pheasant hunting the game warden ticketed a guy next to us for not having his license on him. The licence was in his truck a few Kim’s away and he took a pic of it on his phone. He still got the ticket.
So unless something changed in 2 years you must have a copy on you
Yes it has

"Download the AlbertaRelm APP and easily store your licences electronically! Please remember that the onus is on the hunter to
produce the electronic or paper licence when requested by an officer during field compliance checks."