Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-28-2017, 11:21 PM

Default New vortex PST

Anyone got their hands on the new 2017 vortex PST's? I'm interested in the 5-25x50. I know of one guy who ordered one in January and it showed up yesterday.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:19 PM

I had the chance to look at the 3-15 PST Gen 2, looked pretty good as far as quality and feature set. I have a couple FFP Sightron S3s and my next optic would probably be a PST Gen 2. Turrets felt good, solid zero stop, I liked the retical, the Sightron glass might still have the advantage (it is much better than gen 1 PST, have owned in the past) but if it tracks true that might be the only weak point in this line of scopes.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:53 PM

I hope the glass is better on the 5-25 than it is on the 6-24. My buddy has two, a 4-16 and 6-24. The glass on the 4-16 is way better than the larger magnification 6-24.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I hope the glass is better on the 5-25 than it is on the 6-24. My buddy has two, a 4-16 and 6-24. The glass on the 4-16 is way better than the larger magnification 6-24.
The 4-16 did seem to have better glass, not sure why though. On the other hand, I looked at a 6-24 HST once that seemed to have unusually nice glass, maybe it's hit and miss.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:11 AM

Ive got my 5-25 in ffp. What a piece of glass. Im running zeiss, leupold, bushnell and have been reloding/shooting a huskemaw gun and the Pst is the cats meow. It will compare with swaro and NF IMo.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:05 PM

Got my hands on the Gen II PST and to be honest I am kind of disappointed. The glass seems on par with the Gen I, but for me although they are going for the rugged/feature rich look the fit and finish seems to be of lesser quality. Another point that drives home for me is the feel of the turrets, they have a more mushier feel to them then previously. It is a NO for me; the scope at this price point in relation to things I have mentioned lacks value when compared to the rest of the market now getting saturated with options.

I generally am a proponent of Vortex, mainly due to the value and the amazing customer service, having owned 2x Gen I PSTs, Razors, and few other of their products. As for my personal opinion the value that was their with their Gen I PSTs is no longer there, but that's just me.

Best of luck.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:15 PM

Finally got out to shoot with the gen II pst 5-25. Now keep in mind I sold my gem I pst 6-24 to get this and put 1700 rounds through my bolt gun in 2 years with that scope. I was super happy with it. The glass was great. Turrets felt crisp. And it was a good looking scope. What made me decide to move to the gen II was mostly the reticle and the lower, fatter turrets. I found the reticle on the gen I to be really fat at 24x. It gave a bit of a challenge when shooting for groups. It covered more than I liked. When it came to hunting it was brilliant. Especially on the lower powers where you could still see it. But it also negated the fact that it had illuminated reticle. At all times , even in low light, you could see the thick reticle. I used a second focal plane Sightron III and loved the thinner reticle for paper. But wanted the accurate hashmarks at all power levels.
The Christmas tree doesn't float my boat but I think I'll get used to it. Now that I have it I'll train to use it.
The turrets: my gun is a heavy gun and I use a backpack sling to carry it while hunting. The tall, narrow turrets of the gen I would dig into my back at times. Especially when climbing over stuff when it would move a bit on my back. So the lower wider turrets are a big win for me. The shim zero stop on the gen 1 always seemed a bit ..... gimmicky. Having a real zero stop is nice. I don't notice the difference in "crisp" turrets between the 2 scopes enough to care either way. I can't say I'd let that swing me between scopes.... it clicks as you dial it and the indents are impossible to miss.... plus it has little numbers in case you have no feelings in your fingers. Moving on.
I like that the illumination knob is moved and integrated into parallax. Gives the scope a nicer overall look. The scope is more glossy. Kinda one step above satin. I would have preferred a flatter finish. The glass is great. Crisp right to the edges. There are no complaints there.
I sighted it in, shot a few, let the girlfriend shoot a bit (her first time) then I set paper at 273 yards. Of course it then started to rain buckets. My shooting mat collected a nice puddle. I was mostly dry at this point. Then I got down on the mat and was instantly wet where I touched the mat. Not the most comfortable shooting I've done. I dialled my elevation and for some reason dialled 1.25 moa right because my Applied Ballistics app was still set to 10 mph wind. I think the wetness and cold was getting to me. There was no wind. I settled in and squeezed off 3 shots. It was a 1.25" group. Good elevation, 2.75-3" to the right. (Oops) i tried to upload a photo but it wasn't working the usual way i do it.

Last edited by Mateo; 07-13-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylverCANADA View Post
Got my hands on the Gen II PST and to be honest I am kind of disappointed. The glass seems on par with the Gen I, but for me although they are going for the rugged/feature rich look the fit and finish seems to be of lesser quality. Another point that drives home for me is the feel of the turrets, they have a more mushier feel to them then previously. It is a NO for me; the scope at this price point in relation to things I have mentioned lacks value when compared to the rest of the market now getting saturated with options.

I generally am a proponent of Vortex, mainly due to the value and the amazing customer service, having owned 2x Gen I PSTs, Razors, and few other of their products. As for my personal opinion the value that was their with their Gen I PSTs is no longer there, but that's just me.

Best of luck.
Well if you dont want it 😏 Ive got a ziess we could swap for 😬
Old 07-14-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmedical View Post
Well if you dont want it 😏 Ive got a ziess we could swap for 😬
Lol if it's the new V6 then sure