Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-24-2019, 07:47 PM

Default Anyone sell a vehicle through an auction?

I have a vehicle which I don't have the time to sell privately. My location makes it difficult as well because I'm not near a big city. So I am looking at possibly sending it to auction.

Anyone have experience with this?
Old 08-24-2019, 08:37 PM

The auction likely takes around 30%. Much better off to sell it by yourself or as in my case I just sold a truck today and it was my son that did the work for me. Good luck. Heck advertise it on here. You never know.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:52 PM

What are you selling ?
Old 08-24-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
The auction likely takes around 30%. Much better off to sell it by yourself or as in my case I just sold a truck today and it was my son that did the work for me. Good luck. Heck advertise it on here. You never know.

Nah, Check out Regal Auctions.

https://www.regalauctions.com/

Grizz
Old 08-24-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Nah, Check out Regal Auctions.

https://www.regalauctions.com/

Grizz

Im closer to edmonton, but I found similar auction sites.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:41 PM

I've done it through Regal Auctions in Calgary once. It's a hands-off way to sell a vehicle, but it'll cost you, as you'll be getting a lower sale price.

This is not as much due to the commission the auction house charges, as to the fact that the people who shop at public auctions for private consignment vehicles are usually (very) budget minded. This is understandable, given that they won't have a chance to drive the vehicle, and so are taking the risk of something cropping up post sale that could not have been detected by them though a visual inspection at the auction yard.

The auction companies such as Regal offer a warranty for major component failures, but that only covers so much.

Where selling a car like this makes sense is if it's an older, inexpensive vehicle that is in less than good repair, and the required repairs are not economical if done through a shop due to time required * shop labour rates (for example, many small issues like switchgear/instrument cluster problems that would require taking apart the dashboard, or something difficult to diagnose in the charging system, etc).

Also, keep in mind that potentially many people will be crawling through your vehicle during the inspection period, especially if it goes through the auction floor more than once (meaning, doesn't sell on the first go-round). There is a limit on the time and the number of sale attempts by the auction house, but you can reduce your price if you see no interest the first time or two.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:20 AM

take your vehicle to a few car dealers that buy cars for cash

they take pics and shop your car to wholesalers

sold a camaro for 44 and a corvette for 55 this spring, took all of an hour each time
easy leash and got within 3 grand total of what I wanted on private sales

took a week to get the cash when the wholesalers picked up the cars
Old 08-24-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
quick google search found that they take 10%
Old 08-25-2019, 09:37 AM

I had a 96 F-150 regular cab long box. Straight six, manual lock hubs, manual transmission and manual 4x4. A truck that would never leave you in the bush. It had 180,000 km on it. In 2005 I was working and had a company vehicle. (I had it in 2003 actually but the point of this story takes place in 2005) The truck had not moved in almost 2 years and yard rot was setting in. I cleaned it up, put in a new battery and attempted to sell it. Tons of tire kickers. I was asking $4000 and nobody would even offer me anything over $1000. Finally I got ****ed off and sent it to Richie Bros with a few pieces of iron my employer was selling. $4500, minus fees. A week later a cheque arrived in the mail for $50 more than I was asking ($4050) hoping to get realistically $3200-$3500.

Then within the month I quit/fired (still not sure which happened. The owner and I get along much better today than when I was working directly for him as now I work for him occasionally through my current employer since that day.) from that job and wish I had kept that truck. I still do.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:41 AM

What kind of vehicle is it ???