Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-18-2018, 07:36 AM

Default Calling Lake access

Took run up to calling lake on wed the 17th, went to the access point at the prov park. 2 big ice ridges and guys were getting on beside the old launch beside the bathrooms. Anyhow, there is a big chunk broken off and as we were there it was moving and shifting around. A fellow that was out on the ice come off while we were there as he saw us checking out the ice and he wanted to get off while someone was there. Good choice. He told us that just before we showed up there was a huge ice shift causing his truck to shake and the whole lake rumbled around. Anyhow, just a word of caution for those heading that way. I wouldn't trust that access point but I'm kind of a chicken in that regard.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:02 AM

Default The good lord sure hates a coward!!!!

These were the words spoke to me by Hillbilly philosopher and bar stool poet Werner Dorsch before he drove his truck over a beaver dam to do fencing on the far side of a Grazing Lease. We lived, sort of.

As for the Heave, last year it was the far East Side for about 6 km in front of the town site. Some spots it was over 12 feet high last year. The local electrician took his ditch witch and "cut" a passage through the heave. VERY INTIMIDATING to cross!!

It is a good size lake, and the "Calling" in the name is a reference to the noise from the ice when it heaves.

MD has not moved the boulders on Poplar Street or the Access near the fire fighting base, so next access to the north, besides a couple of Private access points, is Lakeshore Drive, Boundary Drive, and Ben Auger Park, all north of the townsite and Moosehorn Market.

I will be up on the weekend, and will report just how bad it is.

Drewski
Old 01-18-2018, 08:53 AM

hey Drewski, my dad used to say that saying fairly frequently when confronted with an issue, he would say: 'the good Lord hates a coward, but ain't too proud of the fool either!!'
Old 01-18-2018, 08:55 AM

there is an access point as well north of the JoCat store. I've never been up there as i was told that was where the locals fish, hence why i don't go there.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:57 AM

The rocks have been removed from the access just north of the fire fighting base. There is a heave near shore but it is only about 2 feet high andnot steep. If that heave does not change there is no problem getting on. Lots nicer when you can drive out with your truck.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:56 PM

I firmly believe in Guardian Angels, and I think that Werner Dorsch's Guardian Angels were very glad when he was finished with this place so they could finally have a break.

Then my mother became elderly and insisted on still driving ....

Oh what a suffering those Guardian Angels take on!!!

As for the Lord, he would like to find better things to do than deal all the time with drunks, elderly drivers, and brash fools.

Drewski