Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-26-2017, 08:31 PM

Default Cold

wow,cold today aboutminus 30c,makes no difference have to go,have a responsibility to the animal that i trap. The survivors in that area wary now,circleing the wire,in spite of good bait pile and traps well hidden,i take my hat off to them,as they insure the future of the species in a very dangerous world----not over yet however now comes the hard part--no bait,traps, calling i know there routes,waiting a couple of hours before dark in the bull rushes,artic clothes,gun face all white,
shooting sticks,chair 22-250 zeroed for 300m,pick up a few just at dark-------
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3176.jpg (15.5 KB, 288 views)

Last edited by admin; 12-27-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post

wow,cold today about minus 30c,makes no difference have to go,have a responsibility to the animal that i trap. The survivors in that area wary now,circleing the wire,in spite of good bait pile and traps well hidden,i take my hat off to them,as they insure the future of the species in a very dangerous world----not over yet however now comes the hard part--no bait,traps, calling i know there routes,waiting a couple of hours before dark in the bull rushes,artic clothes,gun face all white,
shooting sticks,chair 22-250 zeroed for 300m,pick up a few just at dark-------
Did you drop out of school just before they started teaching punctuation & sentence structure ? LoL

Seriously though, congrats on the dogs. But are the ones in the sled the ones you shot, or trapped/dispatched ?

Last edited by admin; 12-27-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:52 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Good on ya, moving a bit helps in the cold.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-27-2017, 08:01 PM

Default yotes language

Sorry have not got the hang of the language yet ,maybe in time,There are not many deer in the area i hunt,the deer stops not working for a humane kill ,will have to cut them off-----
Old 12-28-2017, 12:08 AM
Banned

Coyoteman, have you thought about using a breakaway device (BAD)? The snare will close all of the way but will release for a deer. I use a 280# Sullivan. It’s big enough to hold the biggest coyote and deer have no problem opening it.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:56 PM

Default deer release

No i have not heard of it,but i will look into it right away,a humane kill were possible is ideal---i have a 22 henry at the rdy with the bridgers----thanks i can see you went to the time and trouble to make things better----
Old 12-28-2017, 05:57 PM

For a person in possession of a trappers license I find it hard to fathom that you are unaware of a breakaway device.Deer stops work well for what they were intended for as well,to avoid catching deer by the legs.A deers foot is much smaller than a coyotes neck so set properly it should kill humanely.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:19 PM

Default breakaway

I think the deer stops on the last batch,a little to big,snared for years straight on,although,we did use benders a small tree bent down trigger to release---probably before you were born------plan to keep up with present tech rgds
Old 12-29-2017, 12:12 AM

Quote:
I think the deer stops on the last batch,a little to big,snared for years straight on,although,we did use benders a small tree bent down trigger to release---probably before you were born------plan to keep up with present tech rgds
Coyoteman where are you from?
Old 12-29-2017, 11:39 AM

Default friday chat

I was not born in canada,maybe vikeing blood at 6ft 3in 230 lbs not an oz of fat can swing a mean splitting axe could be true-----
Old 12-29-2017, 12:01 PM

I hope your not a troll, things aren't adding up.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:28 PM

Default What ???

Troll ,not adding up????? not at all,but at one point i did live alone in the woods for 6 years with my dogs---now i more or less hunt 10 months a year and fish 2months--------
Old 01-15-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Troll ,not adding up????? not at all,but at one point i did live alone in the woods for 6 years with my dogs---now i more or less hunt 10 months a year and fish 2months--------
Coyoteman? Heck, he should be called Mountainman, with a bio like that. lol
Old 01-15-2018, 08:12 PM

Default love conquers all

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvaark View Post
Coyoteman? Heck, he should be called Mountainman, with a bio like that. lol
That was in rural nfld,moved to alberta,lived at brewsters residence near the athabasca glacer in the mountains,driveing a icefield explorer,met a lady married,now live in NE calgary----But i remember with fondnest watching hockey night in canada with my dogs in a small cabin in the woods--of course with some screech and a good supply of black horse,wood stove fired up snow storm rageing outside---
Old 01-15-2018, 08:55 PM

cheers skipper

Quote:
That was in rural nfld,moved to alberta,lived at brewsters residence near the athabasca glacer in the mountains,driveing a icefield explorer,met a lady married,now live in NE calgary----But i remember with fondnest watching hockey night in canada with my dogs in a small cabin in the woods--of course with some screech and a good supply of black horse,wood stove fired up snow storm rageing outside---