Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-01-2018, 09:12 PM

Default Mystery Ranch options

viewed a few Mystery Ranch packs over the holidays going of getting one.

I currently have a Sitka Flash 20 (older version) works well for carrying few items but not good for large loads or meat hauling. I could of used a meat hauler this year. I don't do multi-day hunts but would consider an overnighter.

Trying to decide on the best Mystery Ranch pack for that. Mystery Ranch has 4 packs that could fit my use requirements.

1) Cabinet (smallest of the 3, more of a day pack)
2) Pintler (med size) -
3) Metcalf (large )
4 Marshall ( largest of the 4)

Would like 1 pack to do it all, day pack 80% of the time and overnighter 20% of the time. Pintler and Metcalf looks ideal but wondering if they are too big for a day pack?

any reviews would be great.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:29 PM

The Metcalf cinches down really tight. Doesn't feel bulky at all to me on day hunts
Old 01-01-2018, 09:55 PM

I have the Marshall it’s for sure way to big for a day pack. I had a 40Lday pack before I got the Marshall (106L) it was the eberlestock frame with the transformer. I wouldn’t go with anything less than a 40L pack and would my self go for a 60L as a day pack just so you can fill it up when you want to. I know on the mysterie ranch site In the comments it say you can fit 2elk quarters in that 40L pack that would have to be totally boned out with nothing else in the pack and a small animal.

I do multi night hunts now and for that I wouldn’t go with Anything smaller than the met calf. You need to look at the amount or gear you bring on those over night trips and try to figure out if you can get it all in the size of bag you want. Tents sleeping bags and air mattress take a large share of my pack on multi day back country trips.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:54 AM

Default MR

I had one of their larger packs a number of years ago, the exact model I don't recall, but it was a 6500. While undoubtedly a great multi day pack, I personally found it too cumbersome for day hunts. I had a couple other options for larger bags already, so got rid of that one and replaced it with a Crew Cab (very similar to Cabinet by the looks of it). Have been very happy with that pack for the last 4-5 seasons. Enough room to do a night or 2 in if you have to, great for packing out quarters, and would be a tough pack to beat for day hunts.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:12 PM

I'll give you a review but it's slightly off base and simply my opinion from having owned and using these packs.

The only two mystery ranch packs worth your time are the bighorn and dragon slayer. Both are fairly small but make great daypacks and can carry a load of meat albeit not as comfortably as a pack with longer stays.

I've had the nice frame with the metcalf, longbow and cargo panel. It's a short frame thats nice for staying below your shoulders and not snagging on anything but provides minimal adjustment and zero useful lift. I put load lifters on it which made it better in that regard but made an already heavy pack even heavier.

The Kifaru spike camp, 14er and late season would all be worth a look. For me the 22" stays in the spike camp and one version of the late season made for great day packs but not enough lift with a load of meat. The 14'er with its 23" stays is better, the late season with 24" stays is enough for me but I like more internal organization.
I had the old internal frame timberline 2 and while it's a little big for a daypack it does cinch down. It was comfortable and had some organization but for what your chasing I would probably try and find a internal frame timberline 3 if I wanted to go down that road.
I've had three versions of the duplex frame. The original was comfortable but since using the new frame the old ones not worth your time. The new hunting frame has the old duplex beat in every regard. The bikini was horrible imo. I wouldn't suggest it to anyone as I disliked almost everything about it.
Currently I'm down to a 24" hunter frame with a timberline 3 bag and 22 mag bag. Both have some organization built in and the 24" frame stays lower behind my head which doesn't interfere shooting off a bipod or going through heavier bush. It does however provide enough lift for me with even the heaviest loads.
I've also got a mystery ranch dragon slayer for the days I'm going light and fast but it'll bring out a boned out deer if it needs to.
I've hunted with guys running the stone glacier and they all love them. One of those guys came from mystery ranch as well and would never go back.
Exo gear is worth a look as well.
Ultimately you need to choose what you think you want, internal or external frame, top loader, side or panel loader. Internal organization, one big bag, ability to split the bag off the frame to sandwich loads, ability to add external pockets, modularity, etc. Try a few on and see what feels best. If you do find a few guys with different brands of packs to try I bet you ignore mystery ranch and buy something else because they're far from the best option on the market these days.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:41 PM

I've used the Metcalf for two seasons. Carried out all or part of 2 bull elk, three deer, and a bear with it. Plus a week long sheep backpack, and at least 20 day trips per season.

What I like:
The frame. carries a load really well. I find it very comfortable.
Is versatile. cinches down to a day pack size but expands to be a good
meat hauler/ 3 day backpack.
It's a well made, durable piece of gear.

What I would change:
The main compartment is mostly one big bag. On a long trip I find
searching through the bag a pain. so I wish it had more compartments.
An incorporated rifle carrier would be a bonus. I made one like the gun
slinger which works great.
The price in Canadian $ is a little steep for a backpack. I got mine back
when the dollar was better. but jimbo's sells them for around $700

My overall impression of this pack is that it's a very good mountain pack that hauls loads well. I would recommend it.
However, if you plan on longer backpack trips, you'll need to figure out how to carry additional gear. ( I picked up a OR dry bag that carries some of the lighter bulky things like sleeping bag then cinch it to the back. works great.)
Or if you plan on mostly day hunts, the Plinter looks good too. More compartments.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers
John
https://highlanderhunting.wordpress.com/
Old 01-02-2018, 09:12 PM

MR are on sale at MR right now.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/Closeout/use/Backpack-Hunts

Some good deals!!

Cheers

SS
Old 01-02-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
MR are on sale at MR right now.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/Closeout/use/Backpack-Hunts

Some good deals!!

Cheers

SS
cool thanks.

I'm leaning toward the Pintler after watching some youtube reviews. Its great to see how they open up and the storage options.

I realize they are not the lightest of packs from most people say they carry well. They seem to be the best option for my price range compared to other brands.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:39 AM

Check out rampartcorp.com for Mystery Ranch stuff, they usually have good sales too.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:38 PM

I’ve got both a Marshall and a Pintler on the GLF and theyre great packs. The Pintler is a perfect day pack, and I love the compartments. I keep my stuff very organized, so with the Pintler layout I can get into it and find what I need pretty much instantly. You can get a lot in the Pintler so if you’re gear isn’t huge, you could easily use it for a multi day bag(could also strap gear on top, underneath or between the bag and frame).

The Marshall is a big bag. I used it for a season as a day bag, and it works for sure, but it’s just really big and doesn’t sinch down enough if you’re picking light. Also doesn’t have the internal compartments/trizip (which I love). For longer trips though, it’s the perfect pack for me.

Anyways I strongly recommend MR, as their customer service is great, the bags carry very well, and they’re tough. I’ll take the little bit more weight for comfort and durability. Good luck and happy packing!
Old 01-04-2018, 05:55 AM

Default Great Thread

I'm also getting ready to purchase a new pack with the same type of hunting trips as you. I've got my list down to the

MR Pintler,
Kuiu icon pro 3200
MR cabinet.
Stone Glacier 3300

Trouble is I like them all but have never seen or held one yet. It needs to carry my spotter, tripod, and rifle in a reasonably handy position also.

I currently have a Badlands 2200 and I love it. Packed out 1/2 a sheep last fall with it and it seemed to work well with great pockets and cinch down straps but most people are saying its a pack for medium to light loads of meat and I would agree. The bad thing is everything has to go in the bag or on the outside, then cinched down. Great system for carrying your spotter, tripod, and rifle though.

I like the idea of having a pocket just for my spotter. Looks like the cabinet might have one? The Pintler looks like it would have to go in the main bag. The Kuiu in the outer big pocket.

Which one has the best system to pack a rifle, spotter and a tripod? MR YouTube shows them strapping this stuff to the outside of the bag...or am I just over thinking this stuff.

I truly can't decide though. Could sure you some more feed back from others on these packs - how did you pack your rifle, spotter, tripod and other gear

Rob
Old 01-04-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roebag View Post
I'm also getting ready to purchase a new pack with the same type of hunting trips as you. I've got my list down to the

MR Pintler,
Kuiu icon pro 3200
MR cabinet.
Stone Glacier 3300

Trouble is I like them all but have never seen or held one yet. It needs to carry my spotter, tripod, and rifle in a reasonably handy position also.

I currently have a Badlands 2200 and I love it. Packed out 1/2 a sheep last fall with it and it seemed to work well with great pockets and cinch down straps but most people are saying its a pack for medium to light loads of meat and I would agree. The bad thing is everything has to go in the bag or on the outside, then cinched down. Great system for carrying your spotter, tripod, and rifle though.

I like the idea of having a pocket just for my spotter. Looks like the cabinet might have one? The Pintler looks like it would have to go in the main bag. The Kuiu in the outer big pocket.

Which one has the best system to pack a rifle, spotter and a tripod? MR YouTube shows them strapping this stuff to the outside of the bag...or am I just over thinking this stuff.

I truly can't decide though. Could sure you some more feed back from others on these packs - how did you pack your rifle, spotter, tripod and other gear

Rob
I run the MR Pintler as a day pack. Perfect size and can hold quite a bit for longer trips if need be. Super comfy as well.

The inside has 2 separate sleeves that are perfect for a spotter and tripod. You can see them in this video at 7:40 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHhHZ8W6yhI Also best to go to Jimbows and give it a handle. I have strapped my bow and rifle to the outside using the compression straps. I find the rifle sagged a bit to much as it was heavier, but was able to squeeze it in the main compartment which was a bit better. My bow strapped on flawlessly.

Few things that aren't ideal; Only one outside pocket, and inside there is only two small ones which makes it hard to organize smaller items like tags, lighters, knives, fire kit, first aid, paracord etc. Easy enough to get an accessory pouch just another expense to consider. But that's also a similar theme with other mountain packs like Kuiu and SG it seems. Other thing that annoys me (might just be me tho) is the top lid/flap. I usually always enter the pack through this top zipper but the design means you always have to have one hand or arm holding the top back to get inside. This gets even more annoying the more things you have in that one and only outside pocket. Wish the Pintler would open the same way the Scapegoat does. Other than those minor annoyances, after much research and looking at every other brand I feel like the Pintler is best value and size for both a day pack and short over-nighters.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:00 PM

I have a MR cabinet, it snugs down nice and small for aday pack, put also pop a couple fastex buckles and the load carrier is open. It is very easy to put a load of meat into the load sling part of the pack. It also holds plenty for my day hunting use. I carry my goretex jacket/pants, extra socks, merino top, down vest, water lunch, general junk(flashlight gamebags, TP etc...) with plenty of space left inside the pack.

I had a kuiu icon, was an ok pack up to 50ish pounds, after that the frame/ shoulder harness and hip belt just arent up to it. Had an eberlestock j107 (aluminum internal frame) which carried weight well but was big and heavy when empty.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:01 AM

The Pintler, as a day pack, has no peer in my opinion. I have run it and before it the Longbow for several years. Compared to the Longbow, the Pintler has the new frame with load lifters, is lighter, and has a load shelf. The zip design is the best going and it will pack all the weight you can haul.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-05-2018, 12:49 PM

Mystery ranch just released their new 2018 packs and the Selway looks like a lighter weight (thinner fabric) slightly bigger version of the Pintler. Might be worth a look at too. And as previously said, the Pintler has internal sleeves that fit the spotter and tripod perfectly. I made my own stuff sacks so I also have those inside to keep everything even more organized (ie cook kit, kill kit, possible pouch, first aid kit)
Old 01-05-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bganz View Post
Mystery ranch just released their new 2018 packs and the Selway looks like a lighter weight (thinner fabric) slightly bigger version of the Pintler. Might be worth a look at too. And as previously said, the Pintler has internal sleeves that fit the spotter and tripod perfectly. I made my own stuff sacks so I also have those inside to keep everything even more organized (ie cook kit, kill kit, possible pouch, first aid kit)
thanks for the heads up. The Selway looks great larger then the Pintler by almost 20L also. Lots of new bags...confused more then ever. lol

They are now selling bags only too. nice option for different style hunts.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:32 AM

Default Stone Glacier

I went to the StoneGlacier from eberliestock The 5400 worked out great got the gun sling It is light durable and can be cinched down small enough for a day pack. You can never make a small pack bigger but you can make a big pack smaller. Like you I have one pack to do all.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:39 AM

I was looking at the Cabinet myself last year because of the many different ways to use it. The deal breaker for me was that you cannot attach a lid to it. I double checked with the Mystery Ranch folks on that one. I didn’t go with the Crew Cab either because the load lifters are basically useless if you packing out heavy weight without purchasing a lift kit. Crew Cab with a lift kit weighed in above 7lbs. That’s to much weight for a day pack.

I ended up going with the Seek Outside Unaweep. It cinches down so small I can use it as a day pack, or blow it up to a 7-10 nighter. It also worked awesome to train with a 80lb sand bag in the meat sling. Pack and frame come in under 4lbs but can haul more weight than I can. Buddy has a MR Marshall. Awesome pack, bit heavy, but big for anything under 2 nights, but apparently carries the weight very well.

If I were you and only need a day pack or a pack to do 1 or 2 nights and wanted to stick with MR I would eye up the Crew Cab. It has some really cool options. Mystery ranch said the pockets are easily big enough to fit a 20-60x85mm spotter.

Happy hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBomber View Post
I have a MR cabinet, it snugs down nice and small for aday pack, put also pop a couple fastex buckles and the load carrier is open. It is very easy to put a load of meat into the load sling part of the pack. It also holds plenty for my day hunting use. I carry my goretex jacket/pants, extra socks, merino top, down vest, water lunch, general junk(flashlight gamebags, TP etc...) with plenty of space left inside the pack.

I had a kuiu icon, was an ok pack up to 50ish pounds, after that the frame/ shoulder harness and hip belt just arent up to it. Had an eberlestock j107 (aluminum internal frame) which carried weight well but was big and heavy when empty.
i also have a cabinet and love it as a day pack. I haven't had the chance to pack meat with it though.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:26 PM

You'll probably want more information than this but buy the Metcalf - best pack I've ever owned and I bought it for the exact purposes you've stated above. Zero regrets.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:28 PM

Thanks everyone for these great discussions on hunting packs. I ended up going with the Pintler
Old 01-17-2018, 12:15 PM

Default ordered!

thanks for all the suggestions and real life experiences with your packs. Always great to see how other use their gear. The Pintler seems to be perfect for my current needs.

I ordered the Pintler today. http://www.mysteryranch.com/pintler-pack

FYI- Great North Precision, new store in Kelowna, have a few in-stock only Mystery Ranch packs on sale. Some are 30% off and other are 20%.

I got mine for 20% and $5 shipping. Looking forward to it.

Thanks everyone.