Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2021, 03:16 PM

Had a Meila. Great machine. Bought it when we moved into the house 15yrs ago. One tiny part in the drain system, a rubber flap, broke. Literaly a .50 piece of rubber, ruined the whole machine. To fix it was a $125.00 part, ordered from Germany, installed by a qualified Meila tech. On and on.
We went to buy a new one, the store required a Meila tech to install the DW for warranty. On our dime.
Bought a Bosch and love it.
Sold the old Meila on Kijiji for parts for $125.00 though!!
Old 10-19-2021, 03:50 PM

Had a whirlpool for 7 years.parts started breaking in year 4..the plastic parts on the upper rack broke multiple times over years..parts were almost as expensive as the whole dishwasher...I repaired it my self with kydex, plastic welding, and rivets...got 7 years out of it before there was more "fix" than original lol. Replaced with a Bosch.....the bosch does not clean as well as the old whirlpool but it has much higher grade parts for sure...
Old 10-28-2021, 05:05 PM

we have a bosch, expensive but quiet, i will pay for quiet. if noise isn't a problem, buy anything you like, they all last about the same time.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:39 PM

Had a Maytag that I loved, but the lower rack was brutal. 4 snap on pairs of wheels supported the rack. But the push pins that served as keepers and axles would shrink with heat and use and the individual wheels would fall off and melt against the bottom element.
Each pair of wheels were about $45-So to get the rack to close and slide properly was closing in on $200 with tax just for the parts.
Eventually the wash pump piled up after 5 years.

Overall it cleaned quickly and spotlessly, but slightly loud.

Replaced it with a mid-level Bosch and regret it every day. If I toss a salad with a Caesar dressing in a stainless bowl. It cannot be put in the machine unless I hand wash it first. If I rinse it with hot water and put it in the Bosch, it comes out essentially as I put it in. Couple with the frustration of wet dishes as there is no drying element means this will be the last Bosch I would purchase even though it is somewhat quieter than the Maytag. The Bosch cycles are excessively long but reputed to be long so they save energy

Rinse agent usage is off the charts even though I eventually programmed for less use. I get 5- 6 uses between fills.

Last edited by omega50; 10-28-2021 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:01 AM

I have Bosch built in. Works great no complaints
Old 10-29-2021, 01:40 PM

I have a higher end Bosch and am quite pleased at how quiet it is and how clean the dishes come out. This is our 4th dishwasher and finally have one where I don’t have to pre clean the dishes first.

Aim Small Miss Small
Old 10-29-2021, 07:04 PM

Had my dishwasher for close to 40 years. I think its cheaper to rent than buy a permanent one but she has been awesome 😁.
Old 10-29-2021, 09:15 PM

The best dish washer is the one I am married too for 54 yrs.

Last edited by Johnny G1; 10-29-2021 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:23 PM

I was recently doing a little research on this ....

Bosch Benchmark are made in Germany - about $2500 - these are the top of the line

The US made 300 thru 800 series Bosch are what most people see in big box stores - they seem to be a better than most and are still quiet and reliable - so at a price point of around $1000 they aren't cheap, but for an appliance not too bad really in the long run. Seems on almost every review they are right at the top or close to the top from what I seen - which mirrors my own experience with these. Not sure what model we had in our last home - but the inside was stainless, racks were solid, it was really quiet and got the dishes clean.

We also had a Meile, a Bosch as mentioned and now a higher end Blomberg and these were all great machines. Not sure about the lower end Blombergs, but the one we have is troubke free and in the same ballpark as the other machines.

The Bosch was the quietest and the Meile seemed to be the fastest and got the dirtiest dishes the cleanest. All great machines.

Have not had or tried the Whirlpool, Kenmore kinda stuff for many years but our first few homes had these and they were noisy and you ha to clean the dishes before you put them in the dishwasher which seems stupid to me. Maybe these brands are better now? I dunno. No recent experience with these brands.

So - in essence I agree Bosch is great. Meile or Bosch Benchmark if you have the budget for it.

I won't recommend the Bolmberg because I have never heard of it before we bought this house an have no idea if parts are available (I believe these come from the UK). Our has, however, been great.

Last edited by EZM; 10-29-2021 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:58 AM

Hobart. Used in restaurants for multiple cycles a day. Parts availability is good. Lots of used ones floating around with all the restaurants shutting down. I'd get one of the hot water cycle ones.

The life of any dishwasher depends on the water put into it. If you have water with high mineral content, the life will be shorter. We wash dishes by hand here, because the dishwasher baked on a rough brown coating every time. Made the dishes feel like unglazed ceramic after 5-6 washings. As the OP is out in the country, I thought that the water info was relevant to add.