Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-16-2021, 09:40 AM

Default Fly Fishing Rod Repair

Snake guide broke on my Hardy rod.

Anybody/shop in the Calgary area that does that type of repair?

Thanx ...

M ...
Old 08-16-2021, 11:19 PM

Fish Tales, it's about 25 bucks a guide.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix_84 View Post
Fish Tales, it's about 25 bucks a guide.
Thank You ...
Old 08-17-2021, 12:58 PM

Default Guide replacement

You might give some thought to replacing the guide yourself. Determine the size of the guide that needs replacing. Purchase the guide, thread, and 2-part epoxy. Next find a heavy book or two. Place the thread in a coffee cup and run the thread through the pages of the books as a means of tension when wrapping.

There are quite a few tutorials out there on wrapping thread and varnishing. Takes a bit of getting used to but saves $ in the long run. Best of luck.
Old 08-17-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flymph View Post
You might give some thought to replacing the guide yourself. Determine the size of the guide that needs replacing. Purchase the guide, thread, and 2-part epoxy. Next find a heavy book or two. Place the thread in a coffee cup and run the thread through the pages of the books as a means of tension when wrapping.

There are quite a few tutorials out there on wrapping thread and varnishing. Takes a bit of getting used to but saves $ in the long run. Best of luck.
Considered that ... I saw a number of videos and it definitely looks not too hard ...

But then I realized that I'm not to good at figuring out what wire size the guide needed to be ... Information online doesn't offer a definitive sizing chart ...

I suspect there is some leeway for size selection, so I really can't go wrong if I give it a shot.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpon View Post
Considered that ... I saw a number of videos and it definitely looks not too hard ...

But then I realized that I'm not to good at figuring out what wire size the guide needed to be ... Information online doesn't offer a definitive sizing chart ...

I suspect there is some leeway for size selection, so I really can't go wrong if I give it a shot.
If you're going to build a rod or do a lot of guide replacements at one time then. yes, DYI will save money. But in your case, the $25 at Fish Tales sounds like a good deal. Flex Coat epoxy for rod building will cost about that much and doesn't stay "flex" forever.

Tags
fly fishing, rod repair