Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-19-2021, 02:53 PM
Banned

Default Yarn for indicators?

I’m looking making my own indicators. What type or yarn are guys using to get the bushy profile with the o-ring style indicators? The shop only had yellow but I’d like to try a few different colors as well.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I’m looking making my own indicators. What type or yarn are guys using to get the bushy profile with the o-ring style indicators? The shop only had yellow but I’d like to try a few different colors as well.

I think most of the o-ring style use poly yarn.

Have you looked in to the New Zealand style indicators? The Jensens use them all the time in their videos if you aren’t familiar with them.

Easy to put together a kit of your own.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:31 PM
Banned

No, I have t looked at them. Simple is what I’m looking for. I’ve looked at them but having to carry the tubes and tool just doesn’t sound appealing to me. I know it’s not much, but all those “not much” items add up to a lot in a hurry.
And, yeah, the poly yarn is what I’m trying to find. I’ve seen UV Glow yarn advertised on some sites such as sail and such, but I can’t seem to find it locally in Calgary. At least with the online side of the stores.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Wallyworld sells fluo pink fat yarn in their fishing supplies- the kind you use for salmon or steelhead fishing. It would work well doubled over a few times...
You can also check out fabric, knitting or craft supply stores.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:58 PM
Banned

I’ve never seen the yarn there, but I will check it out, as well as their craft section.
Thank you
Old 07-19-2021, 10:13 PM

Not sure if this is a good idea. Maybe someone can elaborate with a yay or nay on this idea.

I myself have used a small porcupine quill for an indicator on my line. Worked great and when a fish bit it doesn't give any resistance as the fish pulls. Harder to watch though. I just used a small rubber band to attach the quill to my line.

I just googled yarn shops in Calgary and it listed 5 different stores.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-19-2021, 10:29 PM
Banned

I will check out some yarn/sewing/craft stores. But from what I can tell, most of that yarn is the very small stuff for knitting. But I will be checking them out.
Everything for fly fishing indicators seems to be big, yet light, loose strung yarn.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:14 PM

I like to keep the bulk in my pack down as well but the entire New Zealand Strike Indicator package is the same size as a tapered leader package. The bulk is almost entirely from the wool, which you will have in any case.

Loon produces strike indicator yarn
https://ironbowflyshop.ca/products/l...indicator-yarn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210720_045603490.jpg (60.6 KB, 43 views)
Old 07-20-2021, 04:15 AM

Quote:
I will check out some yarn/sewing/craft stores. But from what I can tell, most of that yarn is the very small stuff for knitting. But I will be checking them out.
Everything for fly fishing indicators seems to be big, yet light, loose strung yarn.
Look for a yarn/knitting store that sells “roving”. It’s unspun wool intended for felting. It comes in a variety of pre-died colours usually in big bags and compared to the indicator wool on the market, it’s dead cheap. Two problems... I’ve never seen it sold in small quantities (but I have seen large bags with small quantities of many colours) and it’s not treated for buoyancy so you need to do that yourself.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:05 AM

I have a few spools of woolly nylon, pull it tight, strait line, let it go, bushes out , have a few colours, my idea was for hunting, tracking a animal, then respool the line, I believe the spool is 300 meters or yards
Old 07-20-2021, 09:30 AM

Macrame yarn works great [Micheals]
Old 07-20-2021, 09:40 AM
Banned

Awesome guys. More options is always better.
Old 07-20-2021, 12:44 PM

Can I ask where in Alberta or for what species is a yarn indicator necessary?
Old 07-20-2021, 12:52 PM
Banned

Targeting fish, rivers or lakes, while nymphing. Required? No, I've been decently successful without. But if it makes it easier to see the strikes before you feel it, why not try something different. It seems to work very well for those that use this method.

Not only I it a strike indicator, but also a travel indicator. You can see where your line is drifting in the seems and riffles, and potentially help hold the line in that seam that you want to drift.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:16 PM

Default Loaded word... "necessary"

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Can I ask where in Alberta or for what species is a yarn indicator necessary?
Where? Lakes or rivers
Species? Pike, walleye, perch, whitefish, and, of course, trout.

So...necessary? Kind of a loaded word. Depends on the angling situation. Depends on how YOU like to fish. With the explosion of tightline / Euro / Czech / Polish / French / Spanish methods, there has been a detectable backlash against bobber / indicator / suspension devices. Yet those same tight line guys use sighters and coil "indicators". And many top anglers, former competitors, including world champions, use yarn indicators in some situations. Other times and situations, no indicator (yarn or otherwise).

I don't care for the debate myself. I'm like whatever works for me. And I love yarn indicators. Sensitive, stealthy, land softly, they cast well, they are deadly tool to your arsenal.

One bonus use for me: when I tie on a pea sized yarn to give me an indication of where my size 18, 20, 22, and 24 dry flies are. Especially useful for my 84 year old father.

You can go your whole angling career without using yarn indicators. Few leader add-ons beyond a fly and leader are "necessary." Will yarn indicators help ME catch more fish? You bet.

Tight lines.
Smitty

Last edited by smitty9; 07-20-2021 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Scott:

I'll be tying these up over the next 2 weeks. Perfect for low and clear water.

In fact, Troutbitten by Domenick Swentosky is one of the best resources out there for flyfishing. Been toying around with his mono rig system; looks deadly.

Here's Troutbitten's page on the Pat Dorsey indicator:

https://troutbitten.com/2017/03/30/d...d-know-little/

He uses "Bonnie Braid." Again, like others have pointed out, any polypropylene macrame yarn should do the trick.

I buy mostly white, because white can be disguised as any white foam naturally on the water, and also, you can colour it to any colour you like. I do have a little bit of yellow, orange, green, and black as well though.

Anyways, the Dorsey indicator is a good one! I get the braces elastics off Amazon or Wish.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:29 PM
Banned

Funny enough, I was just looking this exact page just minutes ago.

I ended up finding a big thing of o rings on sale at Princess auto and making some like the Loon ones. The yarn I was able to find that I thought would work, only works with floatant on it. It’s on off white 50/50 blend, wool/synthetic. To much wool I think. I am still going to look for macrame braid, or at least some fully synthetic yarn. Like you, I want white.worse comes to worse, I can always dye it different colors.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Funny enough, I was just looking this exact page just minutes ago.

I ended up finding a big thing of o rings on sale at Princess auto and making some like the Loon ones. The yarn I was able to find that I thought would work, only works with floatant on it. It’s on off white 50/50 blend, wool/synthetic. To much wool I think. I am still going to look for macrame braid, or at least some fully synthetic yarn. Like you, I want white.worse comes to worse, I can always dye it different colors.
All yarn requires floatant in my experience. Yes, stuff like the macrame does have some "natural" floatability when dry because of fiber design, but, imo, you always want to use floatant.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:45 PM
Banned

Thanks for this. I ended going with the original style as well. I just used combed out yarn as well.
While I Michael's I found a latched hook with all the other yarn stuff. It really makes sliding the o rings on where you want them pretty simple.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:26 PM

So it seems the main reason for the yarn is that it is soft landing?
Are you concerned a small "corkie" spooks fish?

An indicator that sinks would be frustrating. I would think a big dry fly might be a better choice.

Thanks for sharing your insights and have fun out there
Old 07-21-2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
So it seems the main reason for the yarn is that it is soft landing?
Are you concerned a small "corkie" spooks fish?

An indicator that sinks would be frustrating. I would think a big dry fly might be a better choice.

Thanks for sharing your insights and have fun out there
Yep! Soft landing, and it is very sensitive.

Yes, I do believe corkie style or the classic balloon indicators (Thingamabobber, Air-locks) can present issues, especially later in the season, when water is low and clear, and fish have had 10,000 indicators float over them on popular waters.

Sinking indicator not a problem with floatant. Or, if they become so waterlogged, swap them up with replacement.

Good luck!
Old 07-22-2021, 05:08 PM

Maybe Don Andersen,will upload his slip bobber/using macrame .Works great
His site didn't have it on there anymore.But might very well be my PC skills which suck http://bamboorods.ca/cff.html
Old 07-22-2021, 05:20 PM

Default please delete double post

...double post please delete. Sorry.

Last edited by smitty9; 07-22-2021 at 05:21 PM. Reason: double post
Old 07-22-2021, 05:20 PM

Default It's there

Don's indicator instructions are there:

http://bamboorods.ca/indicators.html

Looks like it would work terrific! Slightly complicated instructions for my liking.

I think the Dorsey indicator will work well too. Pretty much the same as Don's, maybe easier(?) to assemble. Does requires braces elastics which you can get off Amazon or Wish.
Old 07-24-2021, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post
Don's indicator instructions are there:

http://bamboorods.ca/indicators.html

Looks like it would work terrific! Slightly complicated instructions for my liking.

I think the Dorsey indicator will work well too. Pretty much the same as Don's, maybe easier(?) to assemble. Does requires braces elastics which you can get off Amazon or Wish.
I quit using O rings due to their weight. Yarn works best when sensitive.
However, yarn is better than bobbers by a mile.

Don