Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-23-2020, 07:51 PM

Default North Ram Conditions

Thinking about heading out to the North Ram tomorrow. I see on Alberta Rivers page that the water level has been steadily declining. While it's higher than would be ideal, I was wondering if anyone has laid eyes on it up near the trunk road to see if it's half-fishable at all? Otherwise I'll direct my time tomorrow to another stream.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:38 AM

I’m headed there Thursday to explore the area. Just want to get a fly on the water and catch and release is fine. I really don’t know the area at all except for shunda creek. Weather looks good tomorrow
Old 06-24-2020, 08:34 AM

https://rivers.alberta.ca/

This site is useful. It will give you an idea of the current flow and height of the river and shows you the historical average upper and lower flows for the same time of year to compare the current flow against. It has saved me from taking a few wasted trips.

Just find the upper North Ram on the map and click on the charts/graphs.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:05 AM

Spent the day there on Tuesday and have up after a couple hours. Too high and fast for my liking...all my usual crossing points were too dangerous.
I'd give it another week or so.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italk2u View Post
Spent the day there on Tuesday and have up after a couple hours. Too high and fast for my liking...all my usual crossing points were too dangerous.
I'd give it another week or so.
Good to know. Thanks for that info
Old 06-25-2020, 11:39 AM

Check forecast. That area is supposed to get a lot of rain over the 14 day forecast. Those rover could be high for a while.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:04 PM

Just got home. First time there and I spent so much time exploring all those little side roads and seeing all the hidden camping areas. Water was nice and clean and only managed one small trout and lost a couple. Sure is nice there and I picked out about 4 spots for next Friday. Maybe the water will slow down. One guy camping by the bridge told me when the water slows down it will be better fishing. Fun day and no grizzly 👍
Old 06-25-2020, 10:19 PM

Thanks for the report. I’ve got the itch to flick some bugs on moving water so I’m headed there in the am. Hopefully it’s decent out. It’ll be good to get out regardless.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soiler View Post
Thanks for the report. I’ve got the itch to flick some bugs on moving water so I’m headed there in the am. Hopefully it’s decent out. It’ll be good to get out regardless.
Good luck out there. Sure is a beautiful part of Alberta. I can’t wait to continue exploring that area.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:54 AM

Managed to put in a full day. First time fishing the section we stopped at. The weather held off so it was great. Running clean and a little bit high for the most part. Definitely had to watch where you tried to cross. I managed to pick up a few on dries and a bunch more on nymphs. Average fish was about 14-17”. Only 2 under 10” long and had 1 @ 18”... a great day, hopefully the rain there this weekend doesn’t mess it all up.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:10 PM

Raven was high and dirty Friday. I moved on to Stauffer, skunked and only saw 3 rising fish in 4 hours of fishing. Was hoping to do better with a nice overcast day.