Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-26-2018, 11:34 PM

Default Alberta Bowhunters Association- are you a member?

I’m looking into the ABA, just curious how many people here are members. What is your reason for joining? I have checked out the website, just hoping to gather a little more info/opinions on it.

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2018, 04:35 AM

Great people , great organization have been a member sinse 1997
Old 03-27-2018, 05:03 AM

Default Nope.

And never will be.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
And never will be.
Me neither....too long a list to vent so I will let others....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-27-2018, 06:56 AM

Yes I am an active member.

http://nebula.wsimg.com/268b4ca2fc00...&alloworigin=1

LC
Old 03-27-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
X2

I think it is a great association with a lot of direct and indirect benefits
Old 03-27-2018, 07:03 AM

After trad hunter and president went after spears I can’t stay far enough away.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:07 AM

Default Yes great organization

Not sure why there would be any negative comments or connotations to this organization. I’ve been a member for about 10 years and never had any concerns.

Just like any conservation minded organizations as they with proper facts and consideration keep the wants and wishes of the majority membership in the forefront with government and other stake holders in Alberta and not just for Bowhunters alone but all interest groups.

We are all hunters and sometimes we need to make tough choices to support certain hunting and or wildlife related issues in the province to ensure fair and equal opportunity exists for all hunters and future generations. I’m a member of a few similar organizations and in order to combat the antis, we need to be united in our fight so we can keep our rights as hunters and outdoors people so why not add your voice to anyone that will go to bat with government and ensure our hunting rights are intact and fair for all groups?
Old 03-27-2018, 07:12 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpslayer View Post
Not sure why there would be any negative comments or connotations to this organization. I’ve been a member for about 10 years and never had any concerns.

Just like any conservation minded organizations as they with proper facts and consideration keep the wants and wishes of the majority membership in the forefront with government and other stake holders in Alberta and not just for Bowhunters alone but all interest groups.

We are all hunters and sometimes we need to make tough choices to support certain hunting and or wildlife related issues in the province to ensure fair and equal opportunity exists for all hunters and future generations. I’m a member of a few similar organizations and in order to combat the antis, we need to be united in our fight so we can keep our rights as hunters and outdoors people so why not add your voice to anyone that will go to bat with government and ensure our hunting rights are intact and fair for all groups?

Hmmmm one side of the fence, I am a bow hunter, have been since 1992, enjoy, invite all forms of bow hunting to take place in harmony from traditional to compound to crossbows not the case with this group but hey we all have choices and yes I will speak out to the anti's but they are like cancers...always popping up even in healthy organizations...now the OP got me...hook, line and sinker....this ones gonna be a stinker just wait until the folks roll out of the farts sacks....check in later.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-27-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Hmmmm one side of the fence, I am a bow hunter, have been since 1992, enjoy, invite all forms of bow hunting to take place in harmony from traditional to compound to crossbows not the case with this group but hey we all have choices and yes I will speak out to the anti's but they are like cancers...always popping up even in healthy organizations...now the OP got me...hook, line and sinker....this ones gonna be a stinker just wait until the folks roll out of the farts sacks....check in later.
They aren’t “anti crossbow”. They just don’t feel crossbows belong in archery season which I agree with, I’m not anti crossbow either.

I don’t support fenced hunting, but I am not anti fenced hunting.

LC
Old 03-27-2018, 07:20 AM

If the ABA considered XCross-Bows as being directly related to Archery rather than as a Firearm I could support them. Their selfish anti X-Bow lobbying puts me in the opposite camp.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:38 AM

Good people. Good organisation. Been a member for a long time.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:41 AM

I think crossbows have a place in atchery season when you have a disability that stops a person from bring able to draw a bow.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
If the ABA considered XCross-Bows as being directly related to Archery rather than as a Firearm I could support them. Their selfish anti X-Bow lobbying puts me in the opposite camp.
Was a member when Calgary Archers still had the range on Hwy 8, but let my membership lapse after. But with comments like the one above, maybe it's time I join Alberta Bowhunters Association again.... To continue the fight to promote Archery

The Alberta government defines a bow as something drawn, held and released by muscular power. The key word (in my mind) here is HELD. I've never seen a crossbow that meets this definition PERIOD. Crossbows can be locked & loaded for a whole hunting season, ready to shoot at any time. Doesn't really meet the spirit of bowhunting in my mind.

But I digress..... A discussion for a different time.

To the OP, one look at the link that Lefty has given you and you can thank the ABA for it's achievements in the past, and it's hard work for our bowhunting futures.

Thanks for the reminder of what the ABA stands for Lefty - I'll have to scrap together some $ for a membership.

J.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:51 AM

At $35 a year or $500 lifetime it’s quite inexpensive. The insurance coverage and game awards alone are worth it.

LC
Old 03-27-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
I think crossbows have a place in atchery season when you have a disability that stops a person from bring able to draw a bow.
That's the same lame view. Are you reading from the ABA handbook ?
Old 03-27-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Agree 100%, there is vast opportunity for the use of crossbows during general seasons. Unfortunate more crossbow supporters don’t take full advantage.

LC
Old 03-27-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Agree 100%, there is vast opportunity for the use of crossbows during general seasons. Unfortunate more crossbow supporters don’t take full advantage.

LC
Old 03-27-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Lol no just my own lame personal opinion. Can’t you already hunt with a crossbow due to disability and a permit?

LC
Old 03-27-2018, 08:03 AM

I will not support a group that takes hunting opportunity away from others.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
I will not support a group that takes hunting opportunity away from others.
If Crossbows were allowed during archery only season then that very thing would happen. Who would be to blame then?

The “archery” piece of pie would need to grow at the expense of the “general season” Hunter. Are the general only hunters willing to give over some of their pie?

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 03-27-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Lol no just my own lame personal opinion. Can’t you already hunt with a crossbow due to disability and a permit?

LC
No Lefty .. I don't have a severe permanent injury, nor a permit.
Here's where I'm coming from :
I'm a geriatric .. 78 yrs old. I have been actively involved with various Conservation groups since in my 20's and hunted with Archery tackle and Firearms since that time until recently.
At this stage of my life, although my general health is fortunately very good, I find that my muscle tone has deteriorated with the calendar. Minor aches and pains make it very uncomfortable to draw my bow at my preferred draw weight and maintain the practice regimen that I feel is necessary to remain competent with a Compound or Trad Bow. There are no permits available for this predicament and I'm not prepared to throw myself under a bus in order to sustain the injuries required for a X-Bow permit
My preference would be to use a X-Bow during the regular Archery season in areas when and where I choose to hunt ... just like yourself and the others in your camp. The backward rationale brought forward by you and other members of the ABA lobby are messing up my Cornflakes and disallowing many of us to enjoy the exact same opportunities you have. What you guys are afraid of remains a mystery.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:38 AM

Do you hunt elk with your crossbow in the NW zones? that season opens up Sept 17 I believe. Do you hunt the bow zone Oct 25-Dec 7 with your crossbow? Right in time for both the white tail and the mule deer rut. Crossbows are valid throughout bear season. If you don’t seize the day...you have no one else to blame.

You may be happy to know there is a proposal to reduce the minimum draw weight to 35lbs. With the advanced technology and efficient designs of modern compounds they carry proper momentum to allow ethical use @ 35lbs.

Have you tried a mouth tab? Saw a guy this weekend use a mouth tab on a compound set at 40lbs with no sight and no peep shooting 3D targets effectively to 27 yards.

Where there is a will there is a way.

LC
Old 03-27-2018, 08:40 AM

I'm a member..somewhat grudgingly after the spear fiasco. They do bowhunters some good. I'm not an active member though, if they were a "different" organization they would get more support from me. Now that my spear sits lonely on the shelf because of them I've got a pretty bitter taste.

By the way x-bows should remain in rifle season. Except for injuries and anyone over 60 years old.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpslayer View Post

X2 very well said. I plan to get my life time membership next year when this three year membership expires.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I'm a member..somewhat grudgingly after the spear fiasco. They do bowhunters some good. I'm not an active member though, if they were a "different" organization they would get more support from me. Now that my spear sits lonely on the shelf because of them I've got a pretty bitter taste.

By the way x-bows should remain in rifle season. Except for injuries and anyone over 60 years old.
The spear thing...is not only because of the ABA, actually isn’t even a result of them. But that misconception is alive and well. If the ABA had that sort of power alone....which they don’t by the way.

Apology to the OP for the derail.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 03-27-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:52 AM

[QUOTE=Lefty-Canuck;3759725]Do you hunt elk with your crossbow in the NW zones? that season opens up Sept 17 I believe. Do you hunt the bow zone Oct 25-Dec 7 with your crossbow? Right in time for both the white tail and the mule deer rut. Crossbows are valid throughout bear season. If you don’t seize the day...you have no one else to blame.

You may be happy to know there is a proposal to reduce the minimum draw weight to 35lbs. With the advanced technology and efficient designs of modern compounds they carry proper momentum to allow ethical use @ 35lbs.

Have you tried a mouth tab? Saw a guy this weekend use a mouth tab on a compound set at 40lbs with no sight and no peep shooting 3D targets effectively to 27 yards.

What a crock of BS .. and the options you present are worse than ridiculous. Why don't you hunt north at 35 lbs and a mouth tab and I'll hunt the Bow zone with my X-Bow at any draw weight I feel is appropriate. I don't need you guys telling me with what, when, where and how I can hunt.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
If Crossbows were allowed during archery only season then that very thing would happen. Who would be to blame then?

The “archery” piece of pie would need to grow at the expense of the “general season” Hunter. Are the general only hunters willing to give over some of their pie?

LC
The zone I mostly hunt is September to the end of October for archery, then November for General season. Considering only 18% of hunters are archers I would say there is no need to take from the general season. But, I wasn't really complaining about crossbows not being allowed in the archery season. We all know Mister Brent started the ban on spears and atlatl's.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
The zone I mostly hunt is September to the end of October for archery, then November for General season. Considering only 18% of hunters are archers I would say there is no need to take from the general season. But, I wasn't really complaining about crossbows not being allowed in the archery season. We all know Mister Brent started the ban on spears and atlatl's.
Add crossbows to archery and 18% will grow substantially, then those folks will
Need more pie to get everyone fed.

Once a proposal is submitted...it lasts one round of resolutions and then is dead... the ABA never submitted another proposal after the original they were ASKED to draft by AGMAG. Look elsewhere for spear blame. Even the Atlatl group feels there should be a minimum requirement, but I don’t believe they submitted information supporting one.

LC
Old 03-27-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I agree with this