Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-27-2015, 02:49 PM

Default Bull trout help

This is my first year in search of catching a bull trout but have no clue where to go. I know those who fish for them usually keep there honey holes secret, but i was wondering if anyone could please at least point me in the right direction in terms of locations. I don't really even know where to start looking. Like i said, im not looking for your exact spot, im excited to find my own

Thanks
Old 03-27-2015, 02:55 PM

Fernie
Old 03-27-2015, 03:14 PM

A couple suggestions...

I have caught lots using a spinners and rapalas so streamers and flies should work good too. Use big presentations cause bulls have good appetites.

The Red deer river upstream of gennifer lake and dam.
Clearwater river by Rocky Mtn. House.

Get them before they shed their horns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bulltrout 1.jpg (10.7 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg bulltrout 2.jpg (12.7 KB, 377 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-27-2015, 03:55 PM

A great place to catch a bull trout is Kananaskis lakes, there are many over the current provincial record in there too.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:42 PM

Many over the record? Man I need to catch different ones. Not seeing many over 8lb let alone 17lb. How long are these 15lb + fish?
Old 03-27-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
Fernie
^^^^^For sure^^^^^^

Don't stop in Alberta- Go directly to the Wigwam.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:18 PM

fish some of the bigger freestone rivers for cutthroat. When a cuttie gets stolen off the end of your line, throw on a 6" streamer and swing it through the hole

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 03-27-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Many over the record? Man I need to catch different ones. Not seeing many over 8lb let alone 17lb. How long are these 15lb + fish?
I've got a few over 30", probably went over 12 lbs. Talked to Jim Stelfox who did the hatchery program on lower Kan, they sampled some over 17. The problem is getting an official weigh on the fish, can't remove it from the lake. Also saw some on the finder that were huge, and more than 50 feet down. I don't have downriggers.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:54 AM

Rule of thumb is if there's Bulls in the system and it's tough to get there the better the fishin will be! Few years back my Uncle and a couple of his buds had a draw for Elk up the Panther River, I tagged along! Camp was 5 hours up the river on a miserable horse but while those guys ran around with there $1000 a day hunting guide and there Bow and Arrows I was chuckin streamers into a river that at most wasn't 20' across and getting action on almost every cast...not sure if those fish had ever seen a Fly, Spinner or Rapala in there life, fun trip!!
Old 03-29-2015, 06:45 PM

If you have the time head to the peace river around Hudson hope ..great fishing all around there.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moefoe View Post
Rule of thumb is if there's Bulls in the system and it's tough to get there the better the fishin will be! Few years back my Uncle and a couple of his buds had a draw for Elk up the Panther River, I tagged along! Camp was 5 hours up the river on a miserable horse but while those guys ran around with there $1000 a day hunting guide and there Bow and Arrows I was chuckin streamers into a river that at most wasn't 20' across and getting action on almost every cast...not sure if those fish had ever seen a Fly, Spinner or Rapala in there life, fun trip!!
I've caught some decent bulls up that way myself too.

Haven't seen any quaders when I've been.
Mostly horsey people as Barry would say!
Old 03-31-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
fish some of the bigger freestone rivers for cutthroat. When a cuttie gets stolen off the end of your line, throw on a 6" streamer and swing it through the hole
I had a beast bull catch my 10" cutthroat on the lower Ram one time.
Scared me a bit as I had the cutty just about out of the water and the bull came up like a shark and grabbed the cutty.

1 minute later bull let go and then line broke, lost both...
Old 04-01-2015, 09:54 PM

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/...psldajpslr.jpg
Big streamers, fairly heavy if the current is strong. My favourite is olive green top half and white lower (rabbit strip) with a large cone head and a flash of pink behind the head. If they are aggressively feeding then the color doesn't matter that much. I use a floating line with 8 - 12 feet of leader depending on depth and current.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
I've got a few over 30", probably went over 12 lbs. Talked to Jim Stelfox who did the hatchery program on lower Kan, they sampled some over 17. The problem is getting an official weigh on the fish, can't remove it from the lake. Also saw some on the finder that were huge, and more than 50 feet down. I don't have downriggers.
How does this work? I wanted to read some data on this. http://www.worldcat.org/title/bull-t...=brief_results. However it looks like you have to buy it?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-02-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
A couple suggestions...

I have caught lots using a spinners and rapalas so streamers and flies should work good too. Use big presentations cause bulls have good appetites.

The Red deer river upstream of gennifer lake and dam.
Clearwater river by Rocky Mtn. House.

Get them before they shed their horns.
When do these river's runoff usually clear up by?
Old 04-03-2015, 12:10 AM

They are catching Bulls in Jasper on the Athabasca 2015 first pic and out here too

here are some pic's sent to me by friends

also Kootenay Lake and river are good at times

here is Kathy's hog(BC) .. even Lance(hubby had too grovel)

enjoy your quest

David

_701321893318827_3545856579837650257_n_zpsxtmkkfor .jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Speckle55; 04-03-2015 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:32 AM

If you are going to target bulls on the fly I highly recommend running big white heavy flashy flies. I base most of my patterns on rabbit or marabou with added flash. Don't be afraid to go big 4-6inch in my common size but have thrown larger flies yet.

White, peach, pink, tan, black, green, and purple are my go to colours. I always carry a box of flies with a mix of these colours but white or white combined with other colours listed has been my top producer.

If conditions are right you can take them on dry mouse patterns

I have targeted bulls throughout Alberta and BC. Some tell me I have taken this species to an obsessive level lol.

When river fishing bulls be prepared to cover ground. At times you need to really search them out. If you want to catch bulls don't flogg the same hole or run all day. They are often aggressive so if they are there and you present you're fly right you will hook up. Some systems they school up others you will only find 1-3 bulls in a hole.

I have dragged new bull trout fishermen through rivers and have the day start as nothing for a few hours and a lot of wading and the day end with non stop action.

Many of the flowing waters in western Alberta hold bulls but numbers very.

Upper red deer, highwood, livingstone, and upper Oldman are a few well known rivers that can be good for bulls. Most rivers west of Rocky are worth it as well
Old 04-03-2015, 08:51 AM

Also find even in high dirty water you can find good bull trout fishing it's just tougher to find locations you can get down to them. This often demands full sink line, short leader and heavy flies.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
If you are going to target bulls on the fly I highly recommend running big white heavy flashy flies. I base most of my patterns on rabbit or marabou with added flash. Don't be afraid to go big 4-6inch in my common size but have thrown larger flies yet.

White, peach, pink, tan, black, green, and purple are my go to colours. I always carry a box of flies with a mix of these colours but white or white combined with other colours listed has been my top producer.

If conditions are right you can take them on dry mouse patterns

I have targeted bulls throughout Alberta and BC. Some tell me I have taken this species to an obsessive level lol.

When river fishing bulls be prepared to cover ground. At times you need to really search them out. If you want to catch bulls don't flogg the same hole or run all day. They are often aggressive so if they are there and you present you're fly right you will hook up. Some systems they school up others you will only find 1-3 bulls in a hole.

I have dragged new bull trout fishermen through rivers and have the day start as nothing for a few hours and a lot of wading and the day end with non stop action.

Many of the flowing waters in western Alberta hold bulls but numbers very.

Upper red deer, highwood, livingstone, and upper Oldman are a few well known rivers that can be good for bulls. Most rivers west of Rocky are worth it as well
In bold is the most crucial part. I don't understand why my fishing buddies don't understand this. If the you dont get a response within 2 or 3 casts in a run, take 5 steps down or move on. We put on 14km today and were rewarded heavily.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpfishngame View Post
When do these river's runoff usually clear up by?
I haven't looked up the regs this year for when they are opened. I like going in early May when the snow is gone but the mountian runoff hasn't started going full tilt. Typically, mountain runoff starts in late may/early june. Then after July the rivers run fairly clear if it doesn't rain. If it hasn't rained for a week the streams and rivers are usually running clear from july till it snows. My favorite times are early/mid May and September till freeze up.
That said, when the rivers are running higher the fish are moving around more. The pools are easier to approach without spooking the fish when the water is dirty too. I have caught some nice bulls in very dirty water using black rubbertail jigs.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-04-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
In bold is the most crucial part. I don't understand why my fishing buddies don't understand this. If the you dont get a response within 2 or 3 casts in a run, take 5 steps down or move on. We put on 14km today and were rewarded heavily.
For a rookie to bulls I would say 15 casts because they are still learning what bulls like. Work as deep as possible first

Had a rookie not be able to hook a bull for 1/2hr in a run I could count over 20 bulls. Once I gave him some instruction he started hitting them.

Sometimes bulls are hugging the bottom and will not come up for a fly that is over a foot above them in the water column.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:04 AM

If you enjoy this species as much as I do and put in the time you will start to understand there patterns as well.

In the systems they school up you can learn the time of year they use each part of the river. Some rivers they migrate though the system and taking notes of locations with the time of year can improve future success.

Really saves the amount of time invested searching them out in years to come

No I do not pass this info out you need to go earn it with time on the water
Old 04-04-2015, 02:33 PM

On smaller rivers what would be a good fly to get em on if i was using a 5 wt...i did some searching today but didnt have a clue what to use for a smaller fly thx
Old 04-04-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscosta View Post
On smaller rivers what would be a good fly to get em on if i was using a 5 wt...i did some searching today but didnt have a clue what to use for a smaller fly thx
Why small?

I never run smaller than 3 inch unless it is egg patterns on the coast. My one fishing partners runs a 5wt and can chuck and duck 90% of my bull flies with it. Most bulls don't spook like other trout when a large fly splashes the water. Some are even attracted to it.

I run all hand ties with no name but bow river bugger, wollybuggers, sex dungeon, double bunnies, sculpin patterns, white rabbit leach with lots of flash, and clousers can do the trick.

Think of a bulls feeding habits more like a pike than other trout species. Many weighted pike flies work and bulls will take big meals. My largest bull pattern in an 11 inch joints monster lol.

Look for any deep holes or runs and logjams. They will lay in ambush near structure.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
Why small?

I never run smaller than 3 inch unless it is egg patterns on the coast. My one fishing partners runs a 5wt and can chuck and duck 90% of my bull flies with it. Most bulls don't spook like other trout when a large fly splashes the water. Some are even attracted to it.

I run all hand ties with no name but bow river bugger, wollybuggers, sex dungeon, double bunnies, sculpin patterns, white rabbit leach with lots of flash, and clousers can do the trick.

Think of a bulls feeding habits more like a pike than other trout species. Many weighted pike flies work and bulls will take big meals. My largest bull pattern in an 11 inch joints monster lol.

Look for any deep holes or runs and logjams. They will lay in ambush near structure.
Right on thanks ...im goin iut for another stab at er next weekend and ill keep all that in mind
Old 04-05-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscosta View Post
Right on thanks ...im goin iut for another stab at er next weekend and ill keep all that in mind
When working a location try a combo of swinging the fly and twitching it. If they are lethargic they won't go for a fast strip. This is why I proffer flies with lots of movement without much of a strip.

Get close to the bottom and be ready to loose a few flies to the rocks. In slow pools I have walked sculpin patterns across the bottom to entice strikes. This is why most of my bull patterns run hook point up.

Good luck
Old 04-05-2015, 03:38 PM

Awesome ...thx for the tips ..perfect example of good sportmanship between outdoorsman ....much aporeciated
Old 04-06-2015, 02:48 PM

Default bull trout

wow never seen such a thing !! soo cool
Old 06-06-2015, 04:22 PM
Banned

If you're the first guy through a pool, you'll know they are there. Look for rock gardens and swing your unsuspecting fly through. Make sure your swing is slow, they're not going to take it if you've got a big downstream arc in your line and your fly is rocketing across the river.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:07 PM

Oldman River is a place to try as well! Caught my first below hwy22 on a woolly bugger. Not a very big guy but put up a great fight. Good luck!