Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-30-2014, 10:29 AM

Default Abe Driedger

Found these videos on an Albertan Trapper and I think he does a good job. Anyone know this guy or is he on the forum here.
https://www.youtube.com/user/abedriedger
Old 03-30-2014, 11:57 AM

I thought I had been through all the trapping videos on YouTube but never seen this guy before! Nice find nube this guy knows how to trap
Old 03-30-2014, 12:05 PM

I'd like to see where he traps and compare it to the area i plan on trapping. Seems like there are good lynx numbers. I really enjoyed his videos.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:13 PM

Yeah it would be very interesting to see. I only watched a couple of the videos an he had two triple headers with lynx and fisher and wolverines. He must have some really good numbers out there or some amazing bait haha. I checked out google earth where you want to buy your line and I couldn't believe how many leases and roads were made around fox creek. I'm from peace river and I thought we would of had way more. At least you know you will have good access if you buy it!
Old 03-30-2014, 03:24 PM
Banned

With that name I would imagine he is trapping around high level or red earth
Old 03-30-2014, 03:32 PM
Banned

lacrete
Old 03-30-2014, 03:57 PM
Banned

I watch a few and I like his vids.

He has a video titled, "Day before I bring furs to westlock" so I'm thinking that he wouldn't be too far away from there otherwise he'd just ship his furs, wouldn't he? How many of you guys are driving 6 hours one way to turn in your furs?

It might be old news but I noticed that Trapper Gord's is a NAFA fur depot now.

New Alberta Depot

NAFA is pleased to announce the addition of Trapper Gord’s of DeBolt to our list of collectors in Alberta. Gordy Klassen, a well-known trapper and educator in the trapping community, will operate a full service depot for area trappers.

http://www.nafa.ca/12525
Old 03-30-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by war-dog View Post
Yeah it would be very interesting to see. I only watched a couple of the videos an he had two triple headers with lynx and fisher and wolverines. He must have some really good numbers out there or some amazing bait haha. I checked out google earth where you want to buy your line and I couldn't believe how many leases and roads were made around fox creek. I'm from peace river and I thought we would of had way more. At least you know you will have good access if you buy it!
Access plays a big role I think. I don't want a line that I have to skidoo 40 miles and have nothing but bush around. Too hard to access everything that way. On the other side yes there is a ton of oil and gas and lease sites around Fox creek. From what I hear the critters are still there. There are some pockets of big timber and the good thing is that 7.5 townships is a big area. The trapper said that the fur is there so I will have to take his word on it. He seems like a real good guy and honest. Others I have talked to say that there are critters there as well. If you look at Alberta other than the top half of the province it basically is all torn up with oil and gas everywhere. Fingers crossed it turns out to be as productive as I want it too.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I'd like to see where he traps and compare it to the area i plan on trapping. Seems like there are good lynx numbers. I really enjoyed his videos.
Nube, he traps on the north side of the Buffalo Head hills, mostly flat and swampy with old burn in some areas.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:10 PM

Thats up there a ways. He seems to do o.k
Old 03-31-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Access plays a big role I think. I don't want a line that I have to skidoo 40 miles and have nothing but bush around. Too hard to access everything that way. On the other side yes there is a ton of oil and gas and lease sites around Fox creek. From what I hear the critters are still there. There are some pockets of big timber and the good thing is that 7.5 townships is a big area. The trapper said that the fur is there so I will have to take his word on it. He seems like a real good guy and honest. Others I have talked to say that there are critters there as well. If you look at Alberta other than the top half of the province it basically is all torn up with oil and gas everywhere. Fingers crossed it turns out to be as productive as I want it too.
Ya most trappers wouldn't say a line produces if it doesn't and I think you will do great out there cause there's enough access to hit your whole line. The line I started junioring on this year has some nice lines through it and part of it was logged but there's some really good sign out there. Especially marten which was nice minus the prices this year!!! We have 3 town ships and I think we only explored about half of it this year so looking forward to clearly a nice loop through the whole thing this summer! On google earth I can see two massive ponds/lakes in the back I'm very interested about! Good luck on your line purchase!