Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-17-2014, 01:47 PM
Banned

Default pelt partner question

would like some input from some experianced trappers. what do you think would be a fair share if say, someone supplied you with properly skinned pelts of yotes, beavers, rats, etc. and you did the fleshing and stretching and sent them off to auction. does 50/50 sound right? thanks.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
would like some input from some experianced trappers. what do you think would be a fair share if say, someone supplied you with properly skinned pelts of yotes, beavers, rats, etc. and you did the fleshing and stretching and sent them off to auction. does 50/50 sound right? thanks.
There were fellas on here saying that you can find people to flesh, sew and board coyotes for about $20 each so I'd have to say that the deal favours the guy processing the skinned critters. He could make twice as much with what you proposed. Also, the other fella has to burn gas to check traps, etc so he has more costs involved so IMO he should make a bit more of a percentage.

If I was doing the fleshing I'd really like that arrangement. I think that the fella trapping the animals would be better off paying someone to process the fur instead of making that deal though.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:39 PM

I will Flesh your coyotes for %50 no problem. I will even do a good job at them
Old 03-17-2014, 06:02 PM
Gone Hunting

Whenever I had a trapping partner we each made our own sets and processed our own catch. The only thing we shared was the line, trails and cabin. Unless the partner was a kid, then I did everything and they rode with me, and I gave them the low value fur for them to learn on.

So I have no experience with the sort of arrangement you describe.

I do have an opinion of course, but understand, that's all it is, an opinion.
That opinion is that 50/50 is probably fair. For me, making the sets, and tending the sets was less then half the work. The hard part was skinning, stretching and marketing the catch.

I hope that whatever you work out, is satisfactory for both of you. Good luck.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-18-2014, 09:15 AM
Banned

thanks for input fellows. my situation is that i really just enjoy getting out in the bush or on the water. i do a lot of catch and release fishing and people just don't understand why. i now have permission on 2 locations near edm. where landowners have major problems with beavers. they were going to call the county or fish and game for help, but i offered to to shoot them. one landowner even offered to pay me for each beaver shot but i declined. i used to be a pretty good skinner as a kid and lately have done some yotes, so i'm sure i can become quite profecient at skinning beaver again, but don't have the space to board them. i'll probably also buy or borrow some traps. i figure getting someone to go 50/50 on the pelts would offset gas money.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:40 AM

For beaver I'd say your getting the better deal than the guy fleshing an stretching. For me, it takes about 10 min to skin and 1.5 hr to flesh an stretch. That said I don't think beaver is going to be all that profitable for either of you this year
Old 03-18-2014, 09:53 AM

I have been pulling a few beaver out of my freezer this last week and getting them on boards and doing some fleshing. With prices the way they are right now for them I do not plan on catching many this spring. I think I will be doing it for fun is all really. I only had 2 in the last sale but none sold.
I got 7 or 8 going onto the next sale and I am thinking I will be holding onto them for a while. Fingers crossed they sell and I can get my gas money back lol
Old 03-18-2014, 10:50 AM
Banned

I'd skin and process a couple of beaver for you for free just to gain the experience. I've never done it before but I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't totally destroy them on you. I'll even throw in a coyote tail for your pelt.....lol!
Old 03-18-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
thanks for input fellows. my situation is that i really just enjoy getting out in the bush or on the water. i do a lot of catch and release fishing and people just don't understand why. i now have permission on 2 locations near edm. where landowners have major problems with beavers. they were going to call the county or fish and game for help, but i offered to to shoot them. one landowner even offered to pay me for each beaver shot but i declined. i used to be a pretty good skinner as a kid and lately have done some yotes, so i'm sure i can become quite profecient at skinning beaver again, but don't have the space to board them. i'll probably also buy or borrow some traps. i figure getting someone to go 50/50 on the pelts would offset gas money.
You could sell them to the Bear hunters also Water Ninja....You will need a trappers license to sell the pelts
Old 03-18-2014, 01:23 PM

If it is a legally harvested animal such as nuisance animal, anyone can sell the pelt to a Furbuyer. You don't need a licence to shoot problem beavers on private land so you can sell the pelts and the carcasses once they are skinned. The catch is that only a fur dealer can buy un-tanned skins as far as I know.

From the trapping regs.

Sale of Wildlife back to top

In Alberta anyone may sell the following:

-processed (tanned or otherwise permanently preserved, but not dried, salted or frozen) skins of fur-bearing animals;
-black bear skins, provided they have been taken lawfully (black bear claws may only be sold if they remain attached to the whole skin);
-the skins of most animals, including skunk and raccoon, for which a licence is not required;
-skinned beaver carcasses including the tail; or
-the claws, skulls and teeth of lawfully taken fur-bearing animals.

I understand the first point mentions you can only sell tanned or preserved skins of fur bearers but this is what my fur buyer clarified for me when I sold coyote pelts before I had my trapping licence
Old 03-18-2014, 01:52 PM

Some guys skin and dry marten for $10 a piece, be good money.
I would not go 50/50 as it's cost to much in time and gas to trap the animals, besides i enjoy putting up my own fur. I'm sure i spend more time fleshing and removing ear cartilege then a guy doing custom skinning, always hoping to get one in on the "Top Lot"!!
Old 03-19-2014, 04:52 AM

I would say doing it on beaver, and most likely shot coyotes that 50/50 would be fair because there is a fair bit of work involved in it. But if you started actually trapping you would be better off paying a rate per pelt, or even doing the little critters yourself and getting someone to do the big ones for you if you don't have the space. Not sure you'll find someone to go 50/50 or even 90/10 on a $1.00 kit beaver