Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-20-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
Well, on behalf of all crossbow users, I can argue that I draw my crossbow using muscular power (takes a LOT of muscle power to draw 175 lbs, even with a rope cocking device), and drawing it uses more muscles than using my recurve - gotta even use my legs a bit to draw the crossbow .
I have to hold the whole thing up with muscle power, using both arms, and shoulders, and even back muscles.
I even have to use eye muscles to sight it!
And I have to squeeze the release (trigger) using muscle power; ya oughtta see the muscles in my index trigger finger.
Then there is the follow through - still using muscle power.

Gets kinda silly when ya want to argue the details, doesn't it!?!
It gets silly when people argue a crossbow and a conventional or compound bow are the same thing yes

Seen as the OP has only one post and this is it....this thread is even sillier.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 05-20-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:50 PM

All crossbow guys just lazy dont want to practice put a scope on sight in put it away still hits the same spot with a rest u want to hunt archery season buy a bow and hone your skills simple try loading that cross bow when theres an elk at twenty yards i have to draw my bow undetected not laying down in a shooting position not even close to the same weapon end of story!!!
Old 05-20-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Predator View Post
All crossbow guys just lazy dont want to practice put a scope on sight in put it away still hits the same spot with a rest u want to hunt archery season buy a bow and hone your skills simple try loading that cross bow when theres an elk at twenty yards i have to draw my bow undetected not laying down in a shooting position not even close to the same weapon end of story!!!
Do you know all the crossbow guys, or are you just guessing?
Old 05-20-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaguide View Post
this is the problem, we're all outdoorsmen sportsmen, but the rift between the different techniques we use to harvest game only results in a fractured front protecting all our rights to hunt fish and enjoy the outdoors. let alone the rifle shooters looking down on archers. we have the compound bow shooters against the traditional shooters and both attacking the crossbow users, in the firearms community we have the long range shooters against the muzzle loader crowd, and visa versa the list goes on and on. Weather you hunt hogs from a tree stand using a spear or dope the wind and elevation to take an elk on the far ridge line as long as you can ensure a clean humane kill and are committed to the ethics rights and responsabilities of a hunter (not killers). if we continue with the backstabbing and arguing as to what constitutes "real" hunting we will all lose. How many bow hunter here would vote to an outright ban on crossbow hunting? and when that happens what's stopping the slippery slope of some bleeding heart politician to pit the rifle hunter against bow hunters then brush hunters against long range hunters? soon we'll be limited to hunting in a single WMU and using only Non-military round firing non toxic lead free bullets fired from a ambidextrous single shot rifle with a fixed 4x scope, on every other Monday during November. No +300 fps compound bows, no handmade self bows no 200# crossbows no 17lb F-class rifles with 5-25x AO scopes, no iron sighted 30-30 leverguns. we'll all be sitting around the proverbial wood stove staring at each other saying "remember when...". For one I love shooting my 300 weatherby 208gr Amax at 1000 yds and my 50# recurve at 15 yds busting ducks with my 25 yr old 870 and coyotes with my AR-180. and i'd hate to lose them because we can't accept other sportsman idea of what he/she loves, strength comes from unity, a united front, and anyone saying "you aren't or can't or won't" is counterproductive. remember when...
AG, Has got it correct.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 05-20-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Of course there's differences...?! Both have advantages and disadvantages... Never mind your full of rediculous statements... Lazy ... That's almost laughable

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
I always love how those that can not follow the rules come up with the statement we are causing a division in our ranks.
The divisions are caused by people trying to circumvent every thing they can and want a life full of easy buttons.

If you are realy handicapped there are no problems with the cross bow. So what is next in the easy button lifestyle, the arrow gun shooting 22 blanks to propel an arrow because you can't cock a crossbow or it is to awkward.

We see 12 year olds that can draw a legal bow. We see adults with fake notes from doctors too.

And we see people causing insurance fraud... Do we cancel all insurance?...who exactly are you calling out cause if your are saying u "see" this .. Then u must be a medical professional who has fully diagnosed this person ... U can't see an injury of this nature!!!!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
So where in the regulations does it say that?

Let's put it another way.

A 223 is not permitted for hunting big game, but it is still a rifle, or is it not a rifle as defined by the regulations?

The argument that a crossbow is not archery equipment is a smokescreen.

It makes no difference how one defines a particular weapon. Any weapon can be approved for any season. If our government sees fit.

A Crossbow is not a Rifle, but it is permitted during the rifle season.
Alberta has no rifle season its a general season for all weapons "generally" including crossbows
Old 05-20-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
I know what the regs say, read them for years, and I am not disputing them. Just saying what is the difference. I am not hurting you, and have no intentions of doing so. Why would you want to stop me from enjoying myself. I am not going to shoot any more animals than you and I promise that I will not screw up your hunt.
I don't know what you are talking about dude, all I did was reply to the your post that I quoted.........
Old 05-20-2013, 09:42 PM

[QUOTE Then u must be a medical professional who has fully diagnosed this person ... U can't see an injury of this nature!!!![/QUOTE]

You don't need to be a doctor when the person brags to you about getting a note just for the asking.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
[QUOTE Then u must be a medical professional who has fully diagnosed this person ... U can't see an injury of this nature!!!!
You don't need to be a doctor when the person brags to you about getting a note just for the asking. [/QUOTE]

True enough... I guess some people will always find a way to cheat
I'm just hoping the bad attitude of some doesn't reflect in the field for those who truly wish to enjoy the sport despite any "true" physical limitations
Old 05-20-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnafterwork View Post
You don't need to be a doctor when the person brags to you about getting a note just for the asking.

True enough... I guess some people will always find a way to cheat
I'm just hoping the bad attitude of some doesn't reflect in the field for those who truly wish to enjoy the sport despite any "true" physical limitations[/QUOTE]

If there are true handicaps , there are no problems. If it is just wanting to hunt with a crossbow there are many seasons open for this in September.. It is called a general season. There is lots of opportunity for the cross bow now. Where are the cross bow shooters in the general seasons?
How many of these threads are started by the Cross bow company employees / sales reps etc. or writers wanting a sponsorship?
Old 05-20-2013, 10:26 PM

Hunt with what YOU want, end of story..

Until the regulations change to include crossbows in an archery season, it is a mute point.

This and many others petty discussions just divides our sport and leaves all of us at risk of loosing more than just a silly mechanical vs. muscle argument.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Oh joy.

Another one who thinks his opinion is the end of the story.

Get over yourself.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Lazy comes in all shapes and sizes, not determined by their hunting choice be it a bow or a rifle...
Old 05-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
If he's never hunted with a bow then a crossbow isn't going to help him much. I find it funny when people think that a crossbow will give them instant success. I'm sure that most experienced bow hunters would agree that releasing an arrow into a deer is just a small part of the hunt.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
If he's never hunted with a bow then a crossbow isn't going to help him much. I find it funny when people think that a crossbow will give them instant success. I'm sure that most experienced bow hunters would agree that releasing an arrow into a deer is just a small part of the hunt.
Well put
Old 05-21-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I agree dave.... its the drawing the bow, part that makes or usually breaks the hunt... that's the biggest part of the hunt , from this experienced bowhunter. And its all made worse if your in the prone position. ....

Last edited by pottymouth; 05-21-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:06 PM

I hunt with both crossbow and compound bow. I have never understood the opposition from the ABA to allow crossbows into archery season. For their rabid stance against it, it will always be an organization I can never support.

I actually prefer to hunt with my compound bow as it is alot easier to spot and stalk. Crossbows are very awkward to handle in the bush but they are absolutely awesome in a tree stand!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:05 PM
Gone Hunting

There sure is a lot of looking down noses going on here.

If using a crossbow is lazy, how lazy is using a rifle?

Who cares if you worked your butt off for your hunt or did nothing at all beside pull a trigger. I don't. It makes no difference to me.

My dad took more then one Moose from our front step. No hunt at all, and he was a better hunter, more of a gentleman and tougher then 99% of the people who would look down on him because he never hunted with a bow.

Dad knew how to hit his target with his old army surplus rifle, one shot, one kill. He couldn't afford to buy more then one box of ammo per year. He couldn't afford a scope or camo clothing or scent killers or an ATV.

He couldn't spend weeks scouting and hunting. He didn't have a 4x4 to pack out his game, he had no place to hang trophy's and no desire to harvest one either. He hunted to feed his family when the option was to live off the land or starve to death.

He made do with what he could afford, and what was available locally.
And he raised 16 kids on the little he made off the homestead and trapping, thanks in no small part to the wild meat he harvested, the wild fruit we gathered and a big garden.

Dad avoided shots longer then 100 yards because he couldn't afford to miss, quiet literally. So he learned to stalk in close and make his first shot count. He learned to field dress any animal by himself and pack it out himself and he wasted nothing.

But he never held a crossbow or any sort of bow.
Was he lazy? was he less a man then a perfumed city slicker with a bow?

No one, at least no one that knew him would have ever called my dad lazy. And my dad never looked down on anyone. In our house, all were welcome.

So if you are a lazy crossbow hunter, you are welcome at my table any time. As for you real men, the ones who think hunting with a bow makes you better then the least among us, don't come knocking on my door.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-21-2013, 08:21 PM

Join the aba great organization do great things for BOWHUNTING!!
Old 05-21-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
There sure is a lot of looking down noses going on here.

If using a crossbow is lazy, how lazy is using a rifle?

Who cares if you worked your butt off for your hunt or did nothing at all beside pull a trigger. I don't. It makes no difference to me.

My dad took more then one Moose from our front step. No hunt at all, and he was a better hunter, more of a gentleman and tougher then 99% of the people who would look down on him because he never hunted with a bow.

Dad knew how to hit his target with his old army surplus rifle, one shot, one kill. He couldn't afford to buy more then one box of ammo per year. He couldn't afford a scope or camo clothing or scent killers or an ATV.

He couldn't spend weeks scouting and hunting. He didn't have a 4x4 to pack out his game, he had no place to hang trophy's and no desire to harvest one either. He hunted to feed his family when the option was to live off the land or starve to death.

He made do with what he could afford, and what was available locally.
And he raised 16 kids on the little he made off the homestead and trapping, thanks in no small part to the wild meat he harvested, the wild fruit we gathered and a big garden.

Dad avoided shots longer then 100 yards because he couldn't afford to miss, quiet literally. So he learned to stalk in close and make his first shot count. He learned to field dress any animal by himself and pack it out himself and he wasted nothing.

But he never held a crossbow or any sort of bow.
Was he lazy? was he less a man then a perfumed city slicker with a bow?

No one, at least no one that knew him would have ever called my dad lazy. And my dad never looked down on anyone. In our house, all were welcome.

So if you are a lazy crossbow hunter, you are welcome at my table any time. As for you real men, the ones who think hunting with a bow makes you better then the least among us, don't come knocking on my door.
Good post Keg.
My Dad beat your Dad cause there was 17 of us.lol
Just kidding, Get off of your HIGH HORSE folks.
It's not a competition!

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 05-21-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Just some, not all, the reasons why I hate Xguns

1. I've reported 3 people poaching with them..( firing from inside the truck)

2. People think they can shoot 100 yards ( don't try to convince them other wise)

3. Huge advantage in the prone/ready position, compared to bows.

4. Can hold in the loaded position all day

5. Newbie's, don't take the same time and pride in sighting them in ( Great entertainment at the archery shops)

To the average person, a bolt from a Xgun , looks much like an arrow. Any game wounded by xguns, that makes the news ( around populated cities) The headlines will never read Xgun bolt in Bunny...........

It's not the influx of people that scares bowhunters BuckCuller.......If that was true, bowhunters wouldn't be promoting people to pick up a bow and get out . They wouldn't be as forth coming with help , tips and even mentoring as a vast majority are...

It's the animals IMO that have the most to lose..... and in zones like the Bowzones and the open prairie zones especially..JMO

But for now they are illegal in the achery season, and that makes me happy! Except all the guys with the fake doctors notes, from their doctor friend...like my FIL's Buddy's
That is very compelling argument but I just know better than that. And as for the hundred yard attempts and misuse you can't fix stupid.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:24 PM

Default no thanks

Quote:
there not for me......
I am a bow hunter but I dont care for the elitist stance they have.

(BTW I am a rifle hunter too and own a crossBOW but I have never used it for hunting, but hopefully very soon in an archery only zone).

LS
Old 05-21-2013, 09:30 PM

Do you know everyone I have ever talked to that belongs to the ABA always talks about bowhunting but never mentions conservation.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:57 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Good post Keg.
My Dad beat your Dad cause there was 17 of us.lol
Just kidding, Get off of your HIGH HORSE folks.
It's not a competition!

LOL, Big families used to be the norm. I went to school with kid whose family consisted of 22 offspring from the same two people.

I think we need more of dad's generations attitude.

Hunting was never a competition for the overwhelming majority of them.
For sure there were a few who saw it that way, but for most it was survival that provided recreation and social interactions that strengthened both the hunter and the community.

The hunting community today seem to be dominated by folks who could care less about their fellow hunters or the community.

It's not just bow hunters, it's all kinds of hunters. Long range hunters against short range hunters. Trophy hunters against meat hunters.
Recreational hunters against paid guides and outfitters. City hunters against rural hunters. Old hunters against young hunters.

This debate is really not about bow hunters or even crossbow hunters.

It's about selfish hunters.

I found out some time ago that trying to keep everything for myself leads to me loosing everything.

I do hope that others are smarter then I was.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-21-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
LOL, Big families used to be the norm. I went to school with kid whose family consisted of 22 offspring from the same two people.

I think we need more of dad's generations attitude.

Hunting was never a competition for the overwhelming majority of them.
For sure there were a few who saw it that way, but for most it was survival that provided recreation and social interactions that strengthened both the hunter and the community.

The hunting community today seem to be dominated by folks who could care less about their fellow hunters or the community.

It's not just bow hunters, it's all kinds of hunters. Long range hunters against short range hunters. Trophy hunters against meat hunters.
Recreational hunters against paid guides and outfitters. City hunters against rural hunters. Old hunters against young hunters.

This debate is really not about bow hunters or even crossbow hunters.

It's about selfish hunters.

I found out some time ago that trying to keep everything for myself leads to me loosing everything.

I do hope that others are smarter then I was.
You are correct as long as there is greed in the hunting community weapon choices will be nothing but an argument. And opportunity lost. And pride hurt. Nothing makes a new hunter feel worse about him self that some experienced hunter saying he should not have shot that fork horn and should have let it grow a few more years. Or if you we're any kind of a hunter you would have held out for a buck instead of shooting a doe. But it is what it is just plain GREED!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:19 PM

I don't think greed has me shooting one animal over another....it is personal choice.

I don't tell others what to hunt for or what weapons to use, but I do follow the rules as written when I hunt.

LC
Old 05-21-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I don't think greed has me shooting one animal over another....it is personal choice.

I don't tell others what to hunt for or what weapons to use, but I do follow the rules as written when I hunt.

LC
What I was getting at was people that impose that sort of behaviour on others are not very good mentors and it is usually brought on by a high sense of self worth as so to speak.
Lefty you have not been very clear on where you stand on the crossbow in archery season other than what the regs state.
Suppose SRD changed the definition of archery to include crossbows and allowed it in archery season would you tell people not to use crossbows because it is an unfair advantage or would you take the new changes in grace?
Not trying to be a smart guy just an honest question.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
You misspoke, the correct way to phrase that last part is "do great things for archery by definition only hunting".

The not so ignorant snobs in our hunting fraternity have actually taken the time to educate ourselves on the tool in question and in doing so have the full picture of what the tool is in regards to hunting and it most definitely is a bow...in fact the only one size fits all bow available.

Why r we doing this over and over? I can't believe I even responded to another one of these. This poor tool!

And back to mr ignorant(not an insult, look it up), make no mistake if u head
afield with a horizontal bow...u will be BOWHUNTING and u will be a BOWHUNTER! There's fact for u, learn about the tool, everywhere it is allowed in with the vertical bows and how it harvest percentage mirrors the compound, effective range etc. U and anyone else who prefers to learn about a subject before talking about as if they got it all figured out just get your googler hoppin and doesn't take long to learn the truth. Now back to your 100% selfish driven archery only by definition hunting....because u sir are NO BOWHUNTER.....IMO.

I'll take my compound any day of week and twice on Sunday over a crossbow because I believe it's 10x handier and more versatile in real world bowhunting but does not mean I can't learn about the tool and agree it fits in with the vertical bows providing a one size fits all strength and lack of physical competence option, just a seriously under utilized tool is all. The right order of doing things once educated is start at the top and work way down. That means include it first, then adjust draws accordingly if even notice since we already too effective and pushing most additional opportunity to draw anyhow but there is a much bigger issue than this puny one when it comes to all the draw business with our wildlife management issues I see threads on, this is a drop in bucket and fighting it will hurt us all more due separation etc. Ie this should really come back to bite aba, terrible they didn't take lead on this and embrace a wonderful tool where it fits and holes it can fill in our ranks for tool options. I cannot support them either...shameful.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 05-21-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:41 PM

Crossbow.....ughhhhh....can't resist.......promised myself not to... respond...Aw heck! Can't help it

You want to bowhunt go get a bow. Can't pull one? Convince the Doctor othewise and get the permit. Is that so hard?

Egad! They polled hunters..... rifle and bow hunters through the harvest survey a year ago....the result was NO to crossbows. Give it a rest already.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Banned

I hear u, sometimes the ignorance just gets too much...problem was opening the thread in first place, don't open but it's been awhile and this time of year dry for knowledge lol, yup nothing new in thread, same circle every time. A perfectly good tool without a proper home, and loss to Alberta residents because of it, because of selfishness and likely combined with fair bit of ignorance but my bet is mostly selfishness.