Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-12-2012, 09:14 AM

Default Fly Fishing Rod and Reel

I am new to fly fishing, and am thinking of picking up a setup for next year. I have been out a few times with a friends rod and liked it, so thought I would continue with it.

I am new to it, and have no idea where to start. What brands should I be looking at? Anyone have any recommendations for a newbie?

Budget is max 300 for both the rod and reel, but would prefer it ~$200.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:44 AM

do a search on this site and the new Flyfishing forum. this subject has been gone over numerous times.

my suggestion would be a TFO rod, 5 wt if you want to stay under $200. they are good rods for the money.

Rgds
Mike
Old 12-12-2012, 09:48 AM

I agree... the TFO rods are a good bargain.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym View Post
do a search on this site and the new Flyfishing forum. this subject has been gone over numerous times.

my suggestion would be a TFO rod, 5 wt if you want to stay under $200. they are good rods for the money.

Rgds
Mike
I did not realize there was a fly fishing forum, I already did a quick search, but didnt find anything within a couple pages, might have been too broad a search. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -relk- View Post
I did not realize there was a fly fishing forum, I already did a quick search, but didnt find anything within a couple pages, might have been too broad a search. Thanks.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=101
Old 12-12-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I am new to fly fishing, and am thinking of picking up a setup for next year. I have been out a few times with a friends rod and liked it, so thought I would continue with it.

I am new to it, and have no idea where to start. What brands should I be looking at? Anyone have any recommendations for a newbie?

How many times a year do you think that you will go?
Old 12-12-2012, 01:14 PM

I'll also agree with the suggestions to look into a TFO rod. For ~$220 you get a rod, reel, line, and carrying case, and since they are a local company (located in Calgary) with a lifetime warranty you can easily get replacement setions for $30 if you ever happen to break one.

After that, I'd suggest heading over to icky fly works and picking up one of their combo packs for the type of fishing you expect to be doing the most of. It works out to about $1/fly, and if you order over $30 you get free shipping. From my experience ordering from them in the past they are quality flies and the shipping to Alberta is very quick.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:26 PM

3 things.

1. Buy a good line first. Crucial for fly fishing. Rio Products Gold line is a great line.

2. the less amount you spend on your first setup, the more you'll spend on the next one when you realize its not meeting your needs

3. Stay away from rod/reel combinations. Usually the rod is alright, but you'll lose money on the reel, because you'll want to get rid of it asap. A half decent reel, is nice to have.

As for the rod, i'd buy a tfo lefty kreh signature series, as for a reel, anything around the 100$ mark will be alright.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:20 PM

Some good suggestions, I don't think you can top this reel at it's price point,
https://www.okumafishing.com/product.../fly-reels/slv and keep an eye on Cabelas online for fly line, you can usually get what you want at a smokin price if your patient. Gotta keep on it though, cause when the good stuff goes on sale it moves fast.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Some good suggestions, I don't think you can top this reel at it's price point,
https://www.okumafishing.com/product.../fly-reels/slv and keep an eye on Cabelas online for fly line, you can usually get what you want at a smokin price if your patient. Gotta keep on it though, cause when the good stuff goes on sale it moves fast.
I would actually stay away from the SLV. I know for a fact, it is not a durable reel. I dropped one from 3ft onto a carpeted floor and it was so warped I couldn't turn the reel. As well, my buddy Brent owned one and was very disappointed with it. Just my two cents, take it for what it's worth.

Cheers,
Doc
Old 12-13-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I would actually stay away from the SLV. I know for a fact, it is not a durable reel. I dropped one from 3ft onto a carpeted floor and it was so warped I couldn't turn the reel. As well, my buddy Brent owned one and was very disappointed with it. Just my two cents, take it for what it's worth.

Cheers,
Doc
Ugh... I guess I won't be posting I have an SLV for sale.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:36 AM

edit
Old 12-13-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post

Cheers,
Doc
Huh, I have used and abused mine for a year, and never had a hitch.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:30 AM

O TFO rods are great! I have several. Don't get the combos though, cheap reel and line. Invest now, you can still get a great setup for your price range. Keep an eye out for some good used deals, I got some great stuff off the forum here for great prices. Also I have an slv that is beat quite badly, and have been using it in saltwater for the last 3 months, cause I'm waiting for it to crap out so I can buy another. Still going strong!!!
Old 12-13-2012, 07:52 AM

Default fly rod

TFO Outfit! started in 280...now $200

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=151879
Old 12-13-2012, 09:23 AM

I'd say get a six weight. TFO. With Cortland 444 WF. A decent reel . With a good drag is all you need.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:35 AM

The one piece of advice I would offer is that no matter what kind of rod or reel you end with, it will not work as well unless you have the knowledge to use it. Take a course or hire a guide and learn the basic mechanics of the casting stroke and your rod (no matter what it is) will "work" much better. There are many inexpensive rods and reels. Try some rods out and see which ones work with your natural casting stroke. I also know that there are some very good combos that companies are coming out with that are inexpensive and decent quality (Ross, Echo etc.).
Old 12-13-2012, 09:38 AM

Default Rod + Reel Package For SALE

Winston VSL 9' 5WT
Pflueger Trion 1956
Extra Spool
Rio Gold 5WT
RIo Mainstream Sinktip 5WT
I'm selling this for $300obo. Great setup and well taken care of.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:46 AM

^^^
This is a good starting set up. But like what was said before, the more you practice the happier you will be with whatever set up you choose!
Old 12-13-2012, 02:21 PM

Buy that VSL package, you wont find anything better for that price.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Buy that VSL package, you wont find anything better for that price.
Won't find anything close to that for that price.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:

In the new year I might have a 6wt TFO with an Orvis reel spooled with Rio floating line. Used only twice. I would let it go for $300 firm if I decide to sell it. Would sell you a rod case too for $50.00.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:41 PM

I am a huge fan of the TFO setups if you are buying your first outfit. The 5/6 wt with reel and line are fantastic.

They also come with the unconditional lifetime warranty, in case no one mentioned that...

No matter how you break it, they will give you a new section (identical to the part you broke) for about 35$ (processing fee). You can cash in on the warranty in Calgary as they have a small warehouse here in town- No need to send the broken rod out!

my two cents.

-J
Old 12-15-2012, 06:42 PM

-Oh, and I looked at the setups in Fish Tales fly shop today for 230$.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUK SOO KOW View Post
O TFO rods are great! I have several. Don't get the combos though, cheap reel and line. Invest now, you can still get a great setup for your price range. Keep an eye out for some good used deals, I got some great stuff off the forum here for great prices.
^^^This. I really like TFO rods (both of my rods are from them), but when I bought a combo, I ended up replacing the reel within a year, because it had crapped out. They are cheap, plastic things. You'll be farther ahead to get a nice reel and line to start with.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 12-19-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbyfaith View Post
I am a huge fan of the TFO setups if you are buying your first outfit. The 5/6 wt with reel and line are fantastic.

They also come with the unconditional lifetime warranty, in case no one mentioned that...

No matter how you break it, they will give you a new section (identical to the part you broke) for about 35$ (processing fee). You can cash in on the warranty in Calgary as they have a small warehouse here in town- No need to send the broken rod out!

my two cents.

-J
I am a big fan of TFO as a starter package as well. Please realize that there is no warranty and that they sell you a part for $35 if you break it or just simply walk in and purchase.

A rod portion made off shore with the cheapest components available probably cost the company $10 or less.

But still the Signature Series is a nice rod and a very nice price. It gets you out on the water and allows you to discover what you do and don't want in a fly rod. The rod can then be sold with very little lost especially if you buy the set up used.

I would warn against purchasing any higher end rods until you find out the type of fishing you like to do and the action that best suits your casting style.

Winston, Redington and even Sage have some starter models that should be considered before making a purchase. I have a couple of Redington rods and the components are superior to the other offerings in their price range. One of my favorite rods is an RS4 4wt that I would put up against rods costing 3 times as much.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:57 AM

Check that...

The entire rod blank (made off shore) is about $10 - $12!! No matter what the brand!!
Old 12-19-2012, 10:23 AM

I've replaced sections of my rod twice at the TFO warehouse off Blackfoot Trail.........
Old 12-19-2012, 10:28 AM

3809-9st SE for the warehouse.
http://www.springbrook.ca

Please do your research before you give advice on the forum.

Thanks.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbyfaith View Post
I've replaced sections of my rod twice at the TFO warehouse off Blackfoot Trail.........
They replaced your sections for no charge at the warehouse off Blackfoot Trail?