Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-02-2021, 06:56 AM

Default Lake Strobel - Argentina

Well I’ve been working down in Argentina for the last year in and out on a horrible schedule. Next trip down will be in February and I’m thinking I might plan to get some fishing in. Once my work dates are confirmed I’ll be able to book but I’m eyeing up this place.

https://www.jurassiclake.com/

Anyone ever been?
Old 09-02-2021, 08:21 AM

Wow
I havnt fly fished for years but that definitely makes a guy want to head down there. Some amazing fish.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddawg View Post
Well I’ve been working down in Argentina for the last year in and out on a horrible schedule. Next trip down will be in February and I’m thinking I might plan to get some fishing in. Once my work dates are confirmed I’ll be able to book but I’m eyeing up this place.

https://www.jurassiclake.com/

Anyone ever been?
Been dreaming about this place for past couple of years, watch many Youtube videos. Even talked to the owner of the lodge.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:54 AM

You might try Phil Rowley yu tube videos,of his adventures there.His blog ??
flycraftangling.com
Old 09-02-2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
You might try Phil Rowley yu tube videos,of his adventures there.His blog ??
flycraftangling.com
I will check that out. Thanks!
Old 09-02-2021, 12:48 PM

There is a young fellow, Fishpro, who is occasionally on here who has been.
Lots of fish caught with a few really big ones sprinkled in
Old 09-02-2021, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
There is a young fellow, Fishpro, who is occasionally on here who has been.
Lots of fish caught with a few really big ones sprinkled in
Yep, I was there in November of 2008, absolutely amazing place! I think there may be a few operations on the lake now, and some of them may have changed hands. The one I was at, and what my research showed to be the best on the lake, was the one right at the river mouth. I was there during their spring, so all the trout were stacked up waiting for their turn to spawn - supposedly so many fish spawn that they can't all head up the river at once. When fishing the lake in front of the lodge, the average size was probably 10 lbs, while on the river they averaged 8 or 9. I was getting 30-70 fish per day! The one pool on the river a little ways up from the camp is amazing, at one point there were five of us fishing and we all had fish on. Another time I saw a 10-15 darker green circle in the pool that I assumed was deeper water, but when I looked 30 seconds later it had moved, it was a school of large trout. That day I actually changed up flies to try and find something in my box they wouldn't bite. Need I say more?

You mention going in February, I believe that is a slower time compared to spring or fall, but I don't know what numbers would be like then, probably still pretty good and you'd have the advantage of fish not having so much of their energy focused on spawning so probably harder fighting fish (I only saw my backing a couple times).
Old 09-02-2021, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
Yep, I was there in November of 2008, absolutely amazing place! I think there may be a few operations on the lake now, and some of them may have changed hands. The one I was at, and what my research showed to be the best on the lake, was the one right at the river mouth. I was there during their spring, so all the trout were stacked up waiting for their turn to spawn - supposedly so many fish spawn that they can't all head up the river at once. When fishing the lake in front of the lodge, the average size was probably 10 lbs, while on the river they averaged 8 or 9. I was getting 30-70 fish per day! The one pool on the river a little ways up from the camp is amazing, at one point there were five of us fishing and we all had fish on. Another time I saw a 10-15 darker green circle in the pool that I assumed was deeper water, but when I looked 30 seconds later it had moved, it was a school of large trout. That day I actually changed up flies to try and find something in my box they wouldn't bite. Need I say more?

You mention going in February, I believe that is a slower time compared to spring or fall, but I don't know what numbers would be like then, probably still pretty good and you'd have the advantage of fish not having so much of their energy focused on spawning so probably harder fighting fish (I only saw my backing a couple times).
Wow. This is getting harder to ignore. Ya I’m supposed to head down mid feb for a Frac, should be about 45-60 days however last couple hitches have ran to 90 days. If no quarantine needed I may try to head down earlier if quarantine needed I may try to hit it on the way home. Might be my last trek south for work there and who knows if I’ll get another chance. Exxon pays my airfare so I could get to BA at no expense….first class to boot. Lol. Makes it all that more inviting.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:54 AM

My wife and I fished there a couple years ago and it lived up to our expectations.
The lodge at the mouth of the Barrancoso is top notch, but it should be for the price. It is very isolated out in the Patagonian desert on the eastern flank of the Andes. The cold wind sweeps down off the glaciers and you are likely to have some days of fishing in 60-70km/hr. winds. Luckily you don't have to cast far to get into fish. Imagine standing thigh deep in the lake only a few feet from shore and having 10-15 pounders bump into your legs and swim behind you?
The food is five star and the Argentine wine cellar is bottomless.

The only thing we did not like was that some of our fellow fishermen from south of the border insisted on using plastic beads and multiple bare hooks on their line to snag fish that were stacked in the mouth of the river- even after the lodge manager advised against this at the welcoming briefing. The rest of us used actual flies. Try to go when the river flow is higher, otherwise the fish are stopped at the first big pool called the "Aquarium" which is a great spot but more of the river to fish would have been better.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:04 PM

Not promoting these guys so you would have to do some homework…

But Dorado. On my bucket list.

https://www.yellowdogflyfishing.com/...-in-argentina/

I watched a fishing show once. They were catching big dorado…which are really monster trout. Well..the angler was so excited in one clip he was holding a monster in the water and asked when they stop spawning. Guide looked confused and said it wasn’t spawning time. Angler said the bottom fins looked worn down. Guide then said it was due to piranha.

Lol. Angler never put his ha se back in the water.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-20-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Not promoting these guys so you would have to do some homework…

But Dorado. On my bucket list.

https://www.yellowdogflyfishing.com/...-in-argentina/

I watched a fishing show once. They were catching big dorado…which are really monster trout. Well..the angler was so excited in one clip he was holding a monster in the water and asked when they stop spawning. Guide looked confused and said it wasn’t spawning time. Angler said the bottom fins looked worn down. Guide then said it was due to piranha.

Lol. Angler never put his ha se back in the water.
My engineer from there had gone for Dorado with his wife and had some really nice photos and stories about fishing for them. Fingers crossed I can find the chance to go.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddawg View Post
My engineer from there had gone for Dorado with his wife and had some really nice photos and stories about fishing for them. Fingers crossed I can find the chance to go.

You and me both brother.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin