Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 08-22-2021, 03:04 PM

Default Wolf snare set up

Ive recently gained access to some ground that holds wolves in addition to coyotes and tho Ive had good success with coyotes Id be interested in hearing how others setup their wolf spots in addition to catching wolves at the same place ...can it be done or do I setup strictly for one or the other...

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2021, 03:22 PM

Default Wolf snare set up

Hi H380. Although I’ve never snared wolves, I have caught hundreds of coyotes. My thinking is that you might want to set up for wolves only in the areas that they inhabit. If you were catching coyotes there, you would probably have to check your sets often. In doing so, you’d be leaving scent that would keep the wolves from coming around. If a wolf found a coyote in a snare, he’d probably eat it or shred it to pieces, and you would loose your valuable pelt, although having a coyote in a snare might help bring in the wolves as long as they don’t get too suspicious. Good luck this winter, I’m looking forward to hearing how you do. Hopefully you catch some wolves. I’d love to make sets for them, but don’t live anywhere near where it would be practical to do so.

Last edited by trigger7mm; 08-22-2021 at 03:24 PM. Reason: More info
Old 08-22-2021, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Ive recently gained access to some ground that holds wolves in addition to coyotes and tho Ive had good success with coyotes Id be interested in hearing how others setup their wolf spots in addition to catching wolves at the same place ...can it be done or do I setup strictly for one or the other...

Set up bait stations just like for coyotes except use larger snare loops 16-20 inches set with bottom of loop 18-20 inches above the ground level out 50 yards or more from the bait.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:13 PM

Spent a day with a trapper in Northern BC a few years ago. We used a dead cow as bait, set 8 or 10 snares on entry/exit paths. He was careful not to touch the snares with his bare hands, some were close, 10 yards, and as far out as 30 or 40 yards. He had good success, usually 3 or 4 on each set. He said you needed large baits to be consistently successful.

He dragged brush and trees into places he didn’t want them to walk to force them toward the snares.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:05 PM

Thanx for the replies , all good suggestions..I think ..lol..sounds for the most part lkke what Im already doing with coyotes ,on a larger scale ( equipment and set height )Coyotes are gonna be the largest share of critters on the bait and wolves will likely be a by catch most of the time ,however I want to be prepared in case they show up..I have a plan on how to do this and will share IF it works out ,Ive been told by a couple wolf snare man that it will take too much work..Im just wondering and waiting to see if that suggestion gets offered here.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Hi H380. Although I’ve never snared wolves, I have caught hundreds of coyotes. My thinking is that you might want to set up for wolves only in the areas that they inhabit. If you were catching coyotes there, you would probably have to check your sets often. In doing so, you’d be leaving scent that would keep the wolves from coming around. If a wolf found a coyote in a snare, he’d probably eat it or shred it to pieces, and you would loose your valuable pelt, although having a coyote in a snare might help bring in the wolves as long as they don’t get too suspicious. Good luck this winter, I’m looking forward to hearing how you do. Hopefully you catch some wolves. I’d love to make sets for them, but don’t live anywhere near where it would be practical to do so.
Good ideas bud , I can see coyotes getti g shredded ,but Im willing to sacrifice a coyote if I can catch a wolf in the process .

Old 08-23-2021, 07:28 AM

If you want to target wolves then use a foot hold forget the snares.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:29 AM
AO Sponsor

You can always hire this guy!

#1 Wolf killer in all the lands! Only uses a chopper sometimes. Also traps, snares, M-44s, and last but not least, a .50 BMG with a call???

The true "Ultimate Trapper"!!!
Old 08-23-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
If you want to target wolves then use a foot hold forget the snares.
Law requires me to check footholds daily and time and distance wont allow me to do that or I would ...good idea tho .

Old 08-23-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
You can always hire this guy!

#1 Wolf killer in all the lands! Only uses a chopper sometimes. Also traps, snares, M-44s, and last but not least, a .50 BMG with a call???

The true "Ultimate Trapper"!!!
That looks like fun ...

Old 08-24-2021, 12:28 PM

From my short experience with wolves, 3 yrs, they are not like coyotes. Coyotes walk in man made trails, wolves seem to always avoid walking where I walked. So what I did for the first time last year, with good result, is prep the site in the summer. I cut a trail for my sled to minimize the amount of time I spend near the bait, no more walking around, less sent and less signs. I hang my snares within 10 feet of the trail around the perimeter, I approach the snares perpendicularly (I don't walk on their trails) and get off the machine only to collect a catch or fix a snare.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Canine Bait Setup.jpg (13.9 KB, 92 views)
Old 08-24-2021, 02:03 PM

WE use a large loop like Morly showed on trapping inc., coyotes were alive too often in a wolf snare so went to a lighter 5/64 cable. Seems to work just fine.
Got 3 raccoon and a beaver this week so far. Waiting for bow season tomorrow.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:10 PM

Thanx dugh and st99 , good posts ..I always try to stay off coyote trails as well ..can hardly wait for the cold .

Old 09-03-2021, 02:59 PM

Default Wolves

Wolves are a tough critter to trap.

Every area and pack seems to be different, mainly depending on numbers, and whether or not they are starving.

-A well fed pack will skirt a bait, but likely never commit.
-A starving pack will come straight in like Wiley Coyote
-Packs that are long lived, and have been around trapping will only be taken in blind sets or leg holds. They will never commit to a bait.

Would need to know some things about the area. Are there elevation changes?
Have these wolves seen the weekend trappers obvious tricks and been educated? Do the farmers in the area (if any) have issues with predation (key sign of pack health)?

My best luck with educated wolf packs is to mark the areas they use (trails) etc, and blind set for them. knock trees down now "pinching" them trough side trails so you can set later. Even go as far as hanging the support wires now.

You are in the south if I remember right, so Eagles will be an issue. They are easily avoided by setting far back from baits, 100 yards or more.

I'll wait for your reply, as I could ramble on about this for pages. Terrain, and the pack(s) relations with humans are the biggest factors in trapping wolves.

Spruce
Old 09-06-2021, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
Wolves are a tough critter to trap.

Every area and pack seems to be different, mainly depending on numbers, and whether or not they are starving.

-A well fed pack will skirt a bait, but likely never commit.

-A starving pack will come straight in like Wiley Coyote

-Packs that are long lived, and have been around trapping will only be taken in blind sets or leg holds. They will never commit to a bait.

Would need to know some things about the area. Are there elevation changes?

Have these wolves seen the weekend trappers obvious tricks and been educated? Do the farmers in the area (if any) have issues with predation (key sign of pack health)?

My best luck with educated wolf packs is to mark the areas they use (trails) etc, and blind set for them. knock trees down now "pinching" them trough side trails so you can set later. Even go as far as hanging the support wires now.

You are in the south if I remember right, so Eagles will be an issue. They are easily avoided by setting far back from baits, 100 yards or more.

I'll wait for your reply, as I could ramble on about this for pages. Terrain, and the pack(s) relations with humans are the biggest factors in trapping wolves.

Spruce
PM sent.