Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-15-2021, 09:31 AM

Default Fly rod repair?

I have a pflueger purist 6 weight rod and I am looking for someone or somewere to get my fly rod repaired, after my last outing I could not get it to come apart. Tried a few techniques I watched on YouTube and no go, however in doing so I managed to break off the first eyelet above the split point.
I talked to the reel dr and he said he dosen't do that type of repair and directed me to Reid's. They also told me they didn't do repairs but he looked up where I could get it repaired under the lifetime warranty, which happens to be the reel dr. So now I am running in circles.
Curious if anyone can point me in the right direction. I'm not going to break the bank on any repair as it's 15 years old and owes me nothing.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:40 AM

Default Rod

Possibly Pieroway in calgary
Old 08-15-2021, 10:32 AM

I used to build Bamboo fly rods and graphite Walleye rods, putting a new eyelet on is no big deal. The bigger trick is going to be getting the two pieces apart. Is the rod graphite? glass or? Graphite does not react well to high levels of twist stress, they are best taken apart with a straight pull if at all possible. If you get any cracking in the graphite the rod it pretty much toast. First step, have you tried the behind the knees method. Second step, have you put the stuck section in the freezer or otherwise cooled it a lot. Last option, and only as a very last resort if everything else has failed, have you tried sitting the joint in Kroil for a few hours.

Last edited by Dean2; 08-15-2021 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:39 AM

Yes it is graphite, all the pulling I have done has been straight, no twisting, and I have also tried freezing it for a bit.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:40 AM

Have not tried the oil, what do you recommend to use?
Old 08-15-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodomtyrant View Post
Have not tried the oil, what do you recommend to use?

Before you use oil try every other method. Using penetrating oil like Kroil is a very last resort, desperation move. It could make the problem worse. PM sent.
Old 08-15-2021, 11:04 AM

I went to you tube one more time and found a video that worked instantly, the video is titled "how to get a stuck fly rod apart with Kelly Galloup". Mine was just as stuck as the one in the video and came apart just as easy. I didn't believe it at first so I gave it a bit extra pull force and have hole in my garage wall from the butt end of my rod now. So now I need a place to get the eyelet replaced.
Old 08-15-2021, 12:02 PM

Glad that worked out. Just for the info of others, freezing only works with metal ferrules like glass or Bamboo rods have. If it is a graphite rod it won't help. Biggest trick is to get some additional grip on the two rod pieces using a few wraps of tape or some rubber no slip shelf liner so you can get hold of the pieces properly, and as you learned stay away from the eyelets.
Fishing hole sells replacement eyelets and used to have a repair guy for doing that work. If they don't have eyelets, Amazon does.

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=fly+rod+ey...l_620l7ekv78_e
Old 08-15-2021, 04:55 PM

Eyelet repair is easy. Just strip off the old thread and any old varnish/epoxy, and wrap and whip finish the new one into place. It's an old rod so esthetics aren't critical, unlike on Don's rods which he builds to sell!

You can use marine (spar) varnish to coat the wraps instead of forking out $'s for epoxy finishes.
Old 08-16-2021, 11:07 AM

Also, quick tip I got from Lynda McLennan during one of their classes, rub the end of the fly rod beside your nose before you put it together. The natural oils lubricate it enough that it doesn't stick.
Old 08-16-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclerj View Post
Also, quick tip I got from Lynda McLennan during one of their classes, rub the end of the fly rod beside your nose before you put it together. The natural oils lubricate it enough that it doesn't stick.

That works well with metal ferrules and back in the day we did that with glass and Bamboo rods all the time. Not sure I would do that with Graphite rods. Clean and dry is the best option for Graphite.
Old 08-16-2021, 01:39 PM

I've been using paraffin wax on graphite ferrules for years, never had a sticking problem.