Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-03-2021, 01:27 PM

Default Where to fish?

I'm surprising my Father-in-law this weekend and taking him fishing on Saturday. He's in Rimbey, and typically likes to fish trout and whites. I was thinking RDR below the dam, but I see it's closed until the 15th.

Next pick would either be Stauffer or Prairie Creek, or possibly the North Saskatchewan River, near Saunders?

Anyways, I'm just looking for some recommendations! Any help is appreciated.

I see the forecast is calling for a heavy rain day on friday in the Western part of the province.

Would it be better to find a small pond?

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-03-2021, 07:55 PM

If you are more concerned with getting on some trout than hunting for mobey dick, Shunda Creek is your best bet. Loads of brookies, and even the odd rainbow and 16-20 inch brown. Most fish are small, but the views are amazing and its easy to read water with a good chance of fish.

The water should be low & clear, as alpine melt hasn't yet started for most of the NSR drainage. In a couple weeks, things might be different.

Stauffer is a very tough, and busy creek. I wouldn't recommend it for a leisure fish especially if you don't have much experience on that type of water. If you have been there, you know how bushy it can be and how spooky the browns can be.

RDR is a fine choice, the area around Sundre both upstream & downstream is fishing decently for a variety of species, but it has been getting very busy with drift boats & plenty of foot traffic at every access point.

Hope this answered your question.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:33 PM

Last edited by fallen1817; 05-04-2021 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Double Post
Old 05-04-2021, 12:34 PM

Last edited by fallen1817; 05-04-2021 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Triple Post
Old 05-04-2021, 12:37 PM

Last edited by fallen1817; 05-04-2021 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Quadruple Post
Old 05-04-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post
If you are more concerned with getting on some trout than hunting for mobey dick, Shunda Creek is your best bet. Loads of brookies, and even the odd rainbow and 16-20 inch brown. Most fish are small, but the views are amazing and its easy to read water with a good chance of fish.

The water should be low & clear, as alpine melt hasn't yet started for most of the NSR drainage. In a couple weeks, things might be different.

Stauffer is a very tough, and busy creek. I wouldn't recommend it for a leisure fish especially if you don't have much experience on that type of water. If you have been there, you know how bushy it can be and how spooky the browns can be.

RDR is a fine choice, the area around Sundre both upstream & downstream is fishing decently for a variety of species, but it has been getting very busy with drift boats & plenty of foot traffic at every access point.

Hope this answered your question.
We fished Shunda around ten years ago, and that's where I caught my first fish on the fly. We fished right at the Harlech campground.

Would you have any recommendations for access? Looks like it weaves around a few different roads for access.

Jeff
Old 07-30-2021, 09:19 AM

Rather than start a new post, I figured I'd just revive my old post.

Wife and I are heading to Crimson Lake for a week on Monday. I'm thinking of heading to Shunda for some "me" time. How are the conditions? Is the water too warm to fish safely?

Any waters you'd recommend instead? I don't mind a hike (Actually prefer it!)
Old 07-30-2021, 05:44 PM

Drove by Shunda last weekend, it was pretty low. I imagine like all the other streams in the area it is low and warm much like the one we decided not to fish because we didn't want to stress out the fish and have them possibly die after releasing them. Too hard on the fish in these conditions.