Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-27-2021, 11:40 AM

Default Kananaskis River

Hey folks, need a little help. We're staying in Kananaskis village (crosswaters resort) for a couple days. Their brochure says there is fishing nearby. Would that be the Kananaskis river and if so, is it accessible nearby. It looks like they have a pond on site too, but the desk person wasn't sure about the fishing.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:27 PM

The Kananaskis has fish alright but it is used for power generation. The flows and levels can vary significantly depending on the time of day and location. A number of the lakes in the area are stocked e.g. Lillian but require a hike in.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:36 PM

thank you
Old 07-27-2021, 10:08 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=383119

I asked the same question myself sometime ago.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:56 AM

After reading the other thread, I think I'll leave the rod at home unless there are fish in that little pond on the resort.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:06 AM

Don't forget about Wedge Pond--it can be fun
Old 07-28-2021, 07:16 PM

No fish in Wedge. It hasn't had grayling in it for a number of years.

Mount Lorette ponds are good for about a week or two after they are freshly stocked. (and they haven't been recently - I just walked around there on Monday).

Gap lake and Sibbald are also close.

If you are looking for wild trout, the hike in to Elbow Lake isn't too bad and there are lots of small Brook trout to play with there. It will likely be very busy, but bring bear spray regardless.
Old 07-30-2021, 12:10 PM

Wish I had time to explore all those spots, but unfortunately it's mostly a golfing vacation, but it looks on google earth like there maybe some sort of path from the village parking lot down to the river. Does anyone know anything about that spot?
Old 07-30-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italk2u View Post
Wish I had time to explore all those spots, but unfortunately it's mostly a golfing vacation, but it looks on google earth like there maybe some sort of path from the village parking lot down to the river. Does anyone know anything about that spot?
pretty swift water there, not many pools. Water level varies quite a bit throughout the day depending on if they are generating power.

Bear spray.

Lots of Grizz activity all around the hotel area and golf course. I usually see a few every year in that area.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:46 PM

Thanks for the heads up.