Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-11-2021, 10:11 PM

Default Drop away rest

Wanting to upgrade mine. It’s a few years old and want to change things up. Right now I have the trophy taker, I am thinking about switching to either the qad or the ripcord. Thoughts or suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2021, 10:30 PM
Banned

I can't tell you one way or the other which is better, but I have the Ripcord. It my second one on my second bow. I have no reason to change to anything else.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:32 AM

I prefer limb driven rests because they are way easier to setup/time for drop away. I previously had a cord driven and it failed to drop sometimes.
The gold standard is hamskea in my opinion. I like mine a lot
Old 07-12-2021, 09:37 AM

Can I jump in here and ask a somewhat unrelated question?
I’ve got an APA with their own drop away rest, I think it “might” contribute to fletching contact. How does a whisker biscuit compare to a drop away?
Old 07-12-2021, 09:47 AM

I recently installed QAD HDX on the recommendation of the guys at Jim Bows. So far, it works slick and I'm quite happy with it.

With all mechanical things, the only thing that nags me is what to do if it fails in a hunting scenario. Never worried about that with my whiskber biscuit.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I’ve got an APA with their own drop away rest, I think it “might” contribute to fletching contact. How does a whisker biscuit compare to a drop away?
The main difference is that the Whisker Biscuit will retain contact with the arrow during the entire launch sequence - so any tremors/shake you may have will (theoretically) translate to the tail end of the arrow, whereas a drop-away should have been completely out of the way by the time the fletchings go by.

With the APA drop-away, you may need to adjust the cable as it may have stretched a bit over time and the rest is dropping too slow. Just don't make it too tight. Depending at which point of the string it's attached to, you may introduce cam lean... Based on what the bow techs at Jim Bows were saying...
Old 07-12-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
My hunting partner ran the APA twister on his M7 for a couple years and then upgraded to a QAD. It was more due to functionality during spot and stalk, as opposed to actual function or tuning.

I ran a biscuit for awhile approximately 15 years ago and they work well. The biggest downfalls are.

1. Tuning can sometimes be a pain
2. Bristle wear out
3. Loss of velocity

I have been running QAD's ever since and have never had a problem. I like how they lock up into position and don't drop on let down.

A couple downfalls to the QAD as opposed to the Hamskea.

1. The timing on the QAD has to be more precise.
2. The timing cord will have an effect on the cables.

I just set up a Hoyt Helix Ultra. Checked timing without the QAD installed and it was perfect. Tied the timing cord in and had to add a half twist to slow the top cam rotation.

I still have a biscuit that I use for testing new/used bows and as back up in my tool kit. If on a hunt, I can replace a QAD with a biscuit and can be tuned and sighted in within a 30 minutes. But luckily I haven't had to do that yet as the QAD's I have used have been bomb proof.

I have considered a limb driven like a Hamskea or Pro V but for me the features of the QAD out weight the simplicity of the limb driven
Old 07-12-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I recently installed QAD HDX on the recommendation of the guys at Jim Bows. So far, it works slick and I'm quite happy with it.

With all mechanical things, the only thing that nags me is what to do if it fails in a hunting scenario. Never worried about that with my whiskber biscuit.
I've had a QAD on my bow since January 2010. Only had it fail on me once and that was in the middle of a 3D shoot when the little "football" that connects the drop-away cord to the cable slipped. Moved the "football", tightened it a little bit tighter and no problem after that. As soon as I could, I got that "football" replaced and got the cord tied into the cable.

No problem after that. I did find however that I wanted the rest to stay up a fraction of a second longer and then found a mod on YouTube that helped a ton. Since then, I've never had to adjust it and it's still ticking (like a Timex). Had it everything from 30* sunshine to -27* C snowing. Never has it skipped a beat since the "football" incident, and that was within the first year of ownership.

J.