Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-22-2021, 01:27 PM

Default Ever downed big game with a recurve?

Basically what the title says; wondering if anyone here has experience shooting elk or other big game with a recurve bow.
I am interested in getting into it and wondering if it is practical enough. What kind of draw weight do you use?
My first elk hunt with a gun was a matter of aiming down the barrel at 15 yards and dropping it so wouldn't have to be making long shots by any means.
Tell me what you know
Old 05-22-2021, 03:24 PM

Lots of elk, moose, bears, etc are taken every year by traditional bowhunters. The last animal I shot with my recurve was a cow moose. She was a tough old bird. should have shot the calf...!

By all means go for it. Get a setup that fits you, doesn't overbow you poundage wise, match up the arrows and practice, practice and practice some more. Once you've got comfortable with your setup, practice outdoors at unmarked distances, do some roving, stump shooting with blunts. Excellent practice to fine tune your mind and gear, especially a couple of weeks before the season. Works for me.

I can't emphasize enough the need for lots of practice and keeping your shots within your own proficient distance. Be honest with yourself and don't worry about what distance others may be shooting their animals at, stay true to your own limits, you owe it to the game you hunt. Also, really study animal anatomy, learn which shots to take and which to pass on. Nothing worse than taking a marginal shot and having it go wrong. If you pass one up because it wasn't just right, there's always tomorrow.

The setup I used to shoot the moose is a 50# @ 28" Raven by Jack Kempf. Shooting cedar arrows, 3 - 5" feather fletch, tipped with glue on Bear Razorhead broadheads. I'm going to get Jack to build me a lighter set of limbs in the 43 - 45# range due to shoulder problems. That poundage is still more than sufficient to harvest any Alberta big game animal.

My own personal preference is to shoot heavier, razor sharp, cut on contact broadheads, such as the Bear Razorhead and others like it on wood or aluminum arrows, fairly old school. I like a fair bit of mass up front when I'm using the recurves.

If you're shooting elk at 15 yards with a rifle, you should do just fine with a recurve. My 2 closest animals harvested with traditional gear were a mule doe at 5 yards and a P&Y whitetail buck at 4 yards.

Anyway, this turned out to be a long post, with a bit of preaching in it, but I could talk about this forever.

Good luck, if you have any questions at all, fire away.
Old 05-22-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinFwt View Post
Lots of elk, moose, bears, etc are taken every year by traditional bowhunters. The last animal I shot with my recurve was a cow moose. She was a tough old bird. should have shot the calf...!

By all means go for it. Get a setup that fits you, doesn't overbow you poundage wise, match up the arrows and practice, practice and practice some more. Once you've got comfortable with your setup, practice outdoors at unmarked distances, do some roving, stump shooting with blunts. Excellent practice to fine tune your mind and gear, especially a couple of weeks before the season. Works for me.

I can't emphasize enough the need for lots of practice and keeping your shots within your own proficient distance. Be honest with yourself and don't worry about what distance others may be shooting their animals at, stay true to your own limits, you owe it to the game you hunt. Also, really study animal anatomy, learn which shots to take and which to pass on. Nothing worse than taking a marginal shot and having it go wrong. If you pass one up because it wasn't just right, there's always tomorrow.

The setup I used to shoot the moose is a 50# @ 28" Raven by Jack Kempf. Shooting cedar arrows, 3 - 5" feather fletch, tipped with glue on Bear Razorhead broadheads. I'm going to get Jack to build me a lighter set of limbs in the 43 - 45# range due to shoulder problems. That poundage is still more than sufficient to harvest any Alberta big game animal.

My own personal preference is to shoot heavier, razor sharp, cut on contact broadheads, such as the Bear Razorhead and others like it on wood or aluminum arrows, fairly old school. I like a fair bit of mass up front when I'm using the recurves.

If you're shooting elk at 15 yards with a rifle, you should do just fine with a recurve. My 2 closest animals harvested with traditional gear were a mule doe at 5 yards and a P&Y whitetail buck at 4 yards.

Anyway, this turned out to be a long post, with a bit of preaching in it, but I could talk about this forever.

Good luck, if you have any questions at all, fire away.

Wow, that’s exactly what I was looking for, thanks! Never can be too detailed so feel free to ramble. I’ll be looking more into this, thanks for sharing your experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2021, 07:41 PM

Good stuff!
Bowhunting to me is "close n personal"
Old 05-23-2021, 08:47 PM

Default LongBow Maybe?

I shoot a 45# longbow now, have had many from 35# to 75#, they are longer in length but hit with amazing impact and today's bows have amazing FPS speed as well. I would start out low poundage and go up with practice before you buy anything, and the longbow is alot more forgiving with your shots. At least that has been my experience with them,
Traditional hunting is the only way to go in my opinion, as it gives the game and you a truer feel for the hunt and for me also the history.
I would state that practice practice, practice, is the best and wood or aluminum arrows are what I have the best luck with. The broadheads really need to be razor sharp and cut on contact. Shot placement is key for sure if in doubt never take the shot.
I hope you get the info you need and go out and enjoy your hunt.
Brad
Old 05-24-2021, 07:15 AM

I've been hunting with Traditional gear, more so longbows with cedar arrows for 33 plus years. I have taken 18 moose, 23 elk, numerous deer, thousands of stumps, thousands of dandelion heads in that time frame. One of the most enjoyable things about shooting traditional gear is having a few arrows with judo points and just wandering the woods and shooting at random targets at unknown distances. I shoot instinctive, which means no sights so yardage doesn't matter. Just pick a target and shoot. You need to train the brain to develop confidence.

I know I said yardage doesn't matter but I've noted my closest kill was 5 yards on a moose and 40 yards on an elk. I normally would not take the longer shots but as I said its instinctive and your mind knows if you can make the shot or not. A majority of my shots have been in the 12-20 yard range.

You set up has to be tuned, meaning properly spined arrows so they fly true as soon as you release. As has been mentioned cut on contact 2 blade broadheads have been my equipment of choice. My bows ranged in the 65# range but as I've gotten older and bows have gotten better I've dropped down to 61#s.

Develop proper technique, and buy a bow that you can handle, don't over bow yourself. Although practicing indoors is "ok" "stump shooting" is where its at. Even when hunting, I carry a couple arrows with judo points and shoot as I'm walking in the woods, I shoot standing, kneeling with both knees, on one knee, just to mimic what I might encounter when the opportunity arises.

In my experience, moose in the rut are the easiest to kill, they're pretty dumb when it comes to love. Elk are the toughest because they never really put their guard down. A bull Moose on the other hand, will just saunter in if he's convinced there's a hot cow in the area.

Don't think you can just buy a recurve shoot it a few times and head off into the woods come hunting season. Practice, practice practice and develop your confidence, you owe it to the animal and to yourself.

Finally, you won't regret it, there is something special about hunting with traditional gear (I'll probably get flamed for that comment). It takes dedication, commitment, passion and desire.

Good luck and PM me and others that have responded if you have any questions.....
Old 05-24-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old longBow View Post
I shoot a 45# longbow now, have had many from 35# to 75#, they are longer in length but hit with amazing impact and today's bows have amazing FPS speed as well. I would start out low poundage and go up with practice before you buy anything, and the longbow is alot more forgiving with your shots. At least that has been my experience with them,
Traditional hunting is the only way to go in my opinion, as it gives the game and you a truer feel for the hunt and for me also the history.
I would state that practice practice, practice, is the best and wood or aluminum arrows are what I have the best luck with. The broadheads really need to be razor sharp and cut on contact. Shot placement is key for sure if in doubt never take the shot.
I hope you get the info you need and go out and enjoy your hunt.
Brad
I would definitely consider a longbow just seems like recurves are more available, are there any real major differences? I didn't know they were more forgiving, as far as I can tell recurves are just more portable. Probably just see what I can get a deal on
Old 05-24-2021, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
I've been hunting with Traditional gear, more so longbows with cedar arrows for 33 plus years. I have taken 18 moose, 23 elk, numerous deer, thousands of stumps, thousands of dandelion heads in that time frame. One of the most enjoyable things about shooting traditional gear is having a few arrows with judo points and just wandering the woods and shooting at random targets at unknown distances. I shoot instinctive, which means no sights so yardage doesn't matter. Just pick a target and shoot. You need to train the brain to develop confidence.
Useful tips, definitely sounds like a lot of fun. Haven't hunted moose yet but the elk around here always seem ready for a fight, I've had some lengthy conversations with the bugle
Old 05-25-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzlew View Post
Useful tips, definitely sounds like a lot of fun. Haven't hunted moose yet but the elk around here always seem ready for a fight, I've had some lengthy conversations with the bugle
When I introduce young people to instinctive shooting, I use the analogy of throwing a ball. You dont tell the mind you have to let go here to throw to home plate or here to throw to first base, you just do it and its the same as shooting a bow instinctively. I've also used a slingshot just to train the eye and the mind to shoot instinctively......
Old 05-28-2021, 04:05 PM

Get this book and read it, excellent information and well written.

https://www.amazon.ca/Instinctive-Sh.../dp/0936531053
Old 05-28-2021, 09:33 PM

Default LongBow's

Shooting the longbow as it is called, American flatbow really, they because of their length shot smoother and stack less, no doubt on the newer stuff, it is always shorter so more stack and cast alot faster. Speed is what everyone looks for but arrow match and weight, to me are more advantageous.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:35 PM

Got a question for you guys that google couldn't answer...
I decided on the black hunter recurve and tried one at the store, the draw feels good and nothing but great reviews.
However, it is a 58" bow and the draw weight is rated at 28"; I have about a 30" draw. In some cases it seems like a bow should never be pulled past that 28" but in others it just seems like it simply adds a couple extra pounds.

Do you know?
Old 05-28-2021, 09:39 PM

Default Black Hunter LongBow

I have purchased the longbow take down version 50# at 28 inch, I pull 29inch. I must say I am amazed at the speed of the bow my brother 31.5inch draw, can shoot it and is probably pulling 2# per inch more after 28 inch draw.
Have not hunted with it yet just getting started on the arrow matching but I must say I am impressed so far.
Brad
Old 05-28-2021, 09:42 PM

Okay sounds like I just pull and extra 5 ish pounds, thanks. I would get the longbow if it were available but excited for recurve.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:05 PM

I've got a 56" KwikStyk that I have been fortunate enough to take several moose and deer with. My DL is 27" but, a friend who draws 31" found it to be smooth at that DL without any stacking.
Old 05-29-2021, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzlew View Post
Got a question for you guys that google couldn't answer...
I decided on the black hunter recurve and tried one at the store, the draw feels good and nothing but great reviews.
However, it is a 58" bow and the draw weight is rated at 28"; I have about a 30" draw. In some cases it seems like a bow should never be pulled past that 28" but in others it just seems like it simply adds a couple extra pounds.

Do you know?
I know its only 2" but with your DL, did you try a 60" bow, if one is available. What poundage is the bow rated at, at 28"?
Old 05-29-2021, 08:29 AM

Drawing a 28” bot to 30” usually isn’t a problem with a modern fibreglass bow.
If it’s all wood-which is kind up unlikely unless you’re into self bows etc. ...
If it’s all wood never hand it to someone else to shoot, it could be a disaster, especially if they have longer arms.
Old 05-29-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
I know its only 2" but with your DL, did you try a 60" bow, if one is available. What poundage is the bow rated at, at 28"?
55# at 28". Held it steady but definitely heavy
Old 06-02-2021, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post

Seems like a cool book but $60 used from amazon (plus shipping), cheapest price.

What's up with that? Can't find it anywhere
Old 06-29-2021, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post

My grandpa gave me that book a few years ago. It’s a good read.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:32 PM

I'm 37 and got started heavy about 5-6 years ago. I've had this question alot and have sent alot of people to this video. It'll answer alot of questions for newbies. It's 100% worth a watch. I love my books too, but this video is Really really good for answering questions. Trust me. I've always been a pretty instinctive person. Picked up the bow and was shooting it pretty well with in a couple weeks. But after watching this video I've started to focus on everything and I'm a more competent hunter for it. I don't know my range and my instinct tells me where to hold the arrow for the gap. So you could say I'm half/half now. And if I'm super close, under 10 yards I'll start to crawl on the string. Anyways. Enjoy, and if you have ANY questions, PM me. I pretty much live Trad now, shoot everyday and hit the 3d loop atleast once a week.

2 big black bear this spring. In the last 5 previous years, 1 moose, 5 black bear, 3 white tail and 1 muley. Yons of small game bud never kept track.

https://youtu.be/1E1vKkSSoNs
Old 07-10-2021, 09:39 PM

I'm not a string walker slthpugh some of my friends use it.
I use a traditional split fingered draw with a middle finger anchor .
I used to use my first fi ger until studying G.Fred Asbell's stuff 35 or so years ago and decided to change .
Cat