Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-23-2014, 08:44 AM

Default Whose doing damage control for coyotes?

Just wondering who out there has their damage control liscense and going for coyotes? Curious to see how you guy's set snares for them when the snow's gone
Old 03-23-2014, 04:59 PM

No one???

Anyone here at least get the damage control permit? I have never gotten one, but was thinking of picking one up this week.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:10 PM

One major thing I learned this year is you will never see a difference if you try to get rid of a coyote problem in an area. I thought I could do this and grid very hard. I have one area I took about 38 coyotes within a 1 mile area between 3 spots. They kept coming lol I still had tracks everywhere and every time I thought I was catching up and I wouldn't catch anything I would go out the next check and 2 or 3 more in the snares. It was non stop. That was just in one spot between 3 baits in an area. If you want to get anywhere with them it will take years to clean them out to a point you will notice any difference
Old 03-23-2014, 08:06 PM

Default dont think it can be done

Killing off a lot of coyotes or even wolves in a specific area just creates more available food for the remaining animals so they have a tendency to have larger litters. We have hunted this area hard for many years (20) including years we shot 53 coyotes in a 5 mile area as well as trapped the ones that we couldn't get a shot at. finally a few years ago when they were killing the pheasants we used 1080 to wipe out complete packs.
2 years later they were as many around as before the poison maybe more!
Old 03-23-2014, 08:32 PM

Good point WWBIRDS. I haven't been doing it that long like you but i notice the outside area packs moving in to replace the ones I took out. I find when I catch a bunch in my one area in a few days there is a lull that I only get one or 2 a day and then all of a sudden a whole pile move in and I wipe them all out. One bait site I had I thought I got them all. I had about 20+ and I only saw the odd track for a few days and nothing in the snares. Then I checked ofter a few days of nothing and ended up with 7 in my snares from the one site. I was about to pull them all but It was a constant thing like that through the whole season
Old 03-23-2014, 09:30 PM

I think people really underestimate the number of Coyotes there are around. A few years ago after a couple Crown Royal we fired up the electronic caller around 11:00 at night kinda thing. This was only a few miles from the city limits. After the coyotes started to howl all around us we turned on the spot light and started counting the sets of eyes in the field. After 15 minutes of calling there was over a dozen sets of eyes we could see. Not sure what the dogs per square mile would be but it's high
Old 03-23-2014, 09:41 PM

The coyote is one of those very adaptable critters that has survived mankind throwing everything at him from traps to spears to poison and he keeps bouncing back.
I don't have the answer to your question but I can appreciate your problem!
Cat
Old 03-23-2014, 09:43 PM

We re going away from original post quickly but I ve read that it takes around 85% removal of coyotes over at least a 5 year period to effectively control their numbers in a targeted area.I have done some damage control trapping for farmers but find it easier to call an area in hopes of getting the problem dogs, especially in the spring. In my cases the farmer does the paperwork with fish and wildlife folk for the damage control trapping permit.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:25 PM
Banned

Even if you could wipe out all of the coyotes in a given area you would end up with twice as many in the Fall when the transient coyotes are actively looking for home territories. Instead of having only one or two breeding females you could end up with 4 or 5 in the area and actually have an increase in coyotes the following year. The best that you can hope for is to manage the number of existing coyotes in the area so they will defend their territory from others moving in. Keep thinning them out.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:23 AM

By Christmas time I thought I had got most around here. When breeding season hit there was wave after wave coming in. Breeding season is pretty much over now. I can still hear coyote howls but they sound lonely . Neighbors with calving going on are not seeing the dozens of eyes at night.
I killed 79 this winter, I think there might be 5 pairs in the area left. If they have 12 pups each I'll need to kill 60 to maintain the population here. That's if no one else kills any which for sure there will be. I believe the county's that have put up a bounty for the past few years have made a huge help in population control.