Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-15-2014, 03:25 PM

Default Anyone know this area

Guys do any of you know the area just west of fox creek by a lake called Smoke lake and then South to the ANC road? This is basically the area I am looking at possibly buying the line on. It has a lot of well sites and roads it seems but I have been told that it should hold a good number of Marten , Lynx, Fisher and tons of beavers as well as lots of wolves. How much does the oil and gas activity effect the numbers of critters in this area? I t looks like there are a lot of clear cuts but some are also 15+ years of growth already. These should be good for lynx. It also has a couple decent sized rivers and creeks in the area.
If you get on Google maps searching Fox Creek and go to the satellite page it shows the area basically straight south of Smoke lake.

I also look around on google maps and see there really isn't many areas that are not oil and gas and forested out as well so I wonder if it really matters a whole lot?
Any thoughts?
Old 03-15-2014, 03:29 PM

I'd stay the hell away from that area, go for. A drive oils and gas has it tore up real bad. Even a few areas near the lake that were not open to vehicles are now lease roads. This is really bad for trapping! Don't take my word, go for a drive, days are warm no reason not to scout out a line, I'd bring a quad and really look hard.
Good luck, enjoy the day

The lack of feathers must confuse some of them
Old 03-15-2014, 03:38 PM
Banned

What would a plane cost to fly over the area for an hour? It's something that I would seriously consider if I was thinking about dropping a wad of money down on a trapline.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
What would a plane cost to fly over the area for an hour? It's something that I would seriously consider if I was thinking about dropping a wad of money down on a trapline.
Good call, I have done a helicopter over a line, amazing what you see, plus if you buy you will have a great idea how to plan your runs....money well spent either way

Old 03-15-2014, 03:47 PM

I am right next to major oil development on 2 sides! They don't get much bigger! Out line is 1 twshp! Still have a good catch! Could do better! Think you work be fine but a weekend quad trip would be good!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 03-15-2014, 08:14 PM

Really does it matter if their are a lot of leas sites? Does this scare the critters away? It might also be a benefit because of all the access around.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:24 PM

Hunted that area a few times....some old burn areas there too. Access might be decent....but the roads turn into snake snot if they are wet, like gumbo.

No doubt there is game to be trapped in that country.

LC
Old 03-15-2014, 10:40 PM

Nube my Kakwa trapline is so full of oil and gas it's hard to go 1/4 km without hitting more roads, leases ect. but there is still fur. New clearcuts are the only kiss of death Even 15 years isn't that old but should hold lynx. Development is a reality
Old 03-15-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Really does it matter if their are a lot of leas sites? Does this scare the critters away? It might also be a benefit because of all the access around.
Unfortunately, all the access around also means access for everyone else too. It used to be busy with quadders a couple years ago. Probably still is. I stopped going hunting there 15 years ago because of all campers and the ATV hunters.

The lease roads and sites attract the two legged 4 wheeled critters from towns and the city. Edson, Fox creek, Whitecourt and good old Edmonton. Hunters and fishermen use the lease roads from August till the end of november. It is a busy area during hunting season. Possibility of trap theft during hunting season. Trap thieves follow tracks in the snow.

The lease roads would definitely fragment or influence the activity in the area to an extent. The rivers are nice, they have grayling and trout so I imagine some otter and mink too. Definitely beaver and all the big carnivories. As a registered trapper you would be allowed to hunt (but not trap) 6 bears too.
Nice country but can be impossible when rainy and muddy.
Smoke lake has a few fish to be caught. I caught a few whitefish to 9 lbs. there.

Take a good drive and look it over.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Unfortunately, all the access around also means access for everyone else too. It used to be busy with quadders a couple years ago. Probably still is. I stopped going hunting there 15 years ago because of all campers and the ATV hunters.

The lease roads and sites attract the two legged 4 wheeled critters from towns and the city. Edson, Fox creek, Whitecourt and good old Edmonton. Hunters and fishermen use the lease roads from August till the end of november. It is a busy area during hunting season. Possibility of trap theft during hunting season. Trap thieves follow tracks in the snow.

The lease roads would definitely fragment or influence the activity in the area to an extent. The rivers are nice, they have grayling and trout so I imagine some otter and mink too. Definitely beaver and all the big carnivories. As a registered trapper you would be allowed to hunt (but not trap) 6 bears too.
Nice country but can be impossible when rainy and muddy.
Smoke lake has a few fish to be caught. I caught a few whitefish to 9 lbs. there.

Take a good drive and look it over.
Bang on summation

Old 03-16-2014, 01:19 AM

Busy sledding area also in the winter. Lots of organized trails in the area.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:01 AM

go for it! you only live once!!

i've got an extremely remote line with no industry activity, and my fur numbers are down the last 2 seasons. as said above, industrial activity can't be avoided in most places,these days. and is not the endall to fur.

you'll just have to be creative with your sets too avoid theft, and accept that it'll happen.

i may be wrong, but i think that line has been for sale for awhile. (3 or more years?.)

certainly wouldn't pay premium price. as for 20$ you can drive all the roads and trap all the land you can get permission on(with less worry about other people). like your already doing. and is where the better money is, this year, anyway. but it is nice too be able to trap other critters besides coyotes and muskrats. i still havent sold a marten that i've caught this year.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:29 AM

The line that I'm a junior on had been logged and has many leases and well sites but it's still polluted with critters and access for me is alot easier with these roads. If the price is right I would go for it! Would be nice to go check it out while there still a little bit of snow to see how many tracks are around.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:19 AM

i worked around there for yrs drilling, i don't think the oil and gas will affect your results any, theres alot of wolves and a ton of beaver in the area, as for the other animals not sure.they don't like to be seen very often, and hunting for big game in the area is awesome, the roads really suck and are super hard on your truck
Old 03-16-2014, 09:28 AM

Default trapline

Nube, I know the area well. I thought you were considering line #1310 the area you describe is 1381. We have significant well and oil roads on our line. They provide good access when you have 4 feet of snow as they are plowed in winter. The much greater problem is forestry, they will destroy your line. Our line is in the area, picked up 8 marten in 1/2 mile stretch this winter.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:51 AM

Default Area

Hey Nube,

I grew up in that area Valleyview / Fox Creek. I have worked in the Oil industry my whole life and have spent endless hours on back roads and lease roads. I have always seen tons of fur and wildlife around oil leases, in fact I wonder at times if the noise somehow attracts them . There is some pretty raw wilderness in that area, and I'm sure you would be very successful.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Guys do any of you know the area just west of fox creek by a lake called Smoke lake and then South to the ANC road? This is basically the area I am looking at possibly buying the line on. It has a lot of well sites and roads it seems but I have been told that it should hold a good number of Marten , Lynx, Fisher and tons of beavers as well as lots of wolves. How much does the oil and gas activity effect the numbers of critters in this area? I t looks like there are a lot of clear cuts but some are also 15+ years of growth already. These should be good for lynx. It also has a couple decent sized rivers and creeks in the area.
If you get on Google maps searching Fox Creek and go to the satellite page it shows the area basically straight south of Smoke lake.

I also look around on google maps and see there really isn't many areas that are not oil and gas and forested out as well so I wonder if it really matters a whole lot?
Any thoughts?
If this is trapline 1370 PM me.

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.