Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-13-2018, 09:38 AM

Default Firearms

Why Remington Arms is so popular top brand among Firearms?
Old 12-13-2018, 10:34 AM

So tell us why.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:37 AM
Banned

Lots of different styles, reasonably priced, strong actions, good aftermarket parts support and they are very accurate.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:42 PM

Same reason the Chevy 350 or Ford 302 are popular. They work are reasonably priced and are heavily supported on the aftermarket side of things.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:58 PM

Like several American makers, they've been putting out some crap lately and doing the court circuit.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...its-bankruptcy

Grizz
Old 12-13-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Same reason the Chevy 350 or Ford 302 are popular. They work are reasonably priced and are heavily supported on the aftermarket side of things.
Agreed. M700, M7, and 870 are classics. Versamax is underrated as well.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:22 PM

I've never understood why Remington was so popular. I guess you would have to give credit to their PR department. I do know that I have seen more Remington's fail in the field than all other brands combined. Usually its the extractor but not always. Triggers are known to have problems too.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:18 AM
Gone Hunting

Are we talking all firearms, Hunting rifles, all rifles, all hunting firearms, or what?

It matters what type of gun we are discussing.

It seems that in overall firearms sales Sturm Ruger is the top producer, thanks in part to sales of their handguns. If we are talking overall rifle sales then Remington seems to be in the lead thanks to sales of their assault style weapons. If we are talking conventional hunting style rifles then it seems that Winchester is in the top position and if we are talking shotguns then Mossberg leads the pack.

And I'm sure it matters if we are talking all sales past and present. I suspect Winchester would beat out all competitors in the hunting firearm category if one were looking at overall sales over the history of smokeless powder rifles.

All the comparisons I've seen were based on current sales for the current year or just the past ten years.

At least that is what the reports I've read claimed. But we all know how numbers can be manipulated. Other publications or the manufacturers may dispute the numbers I've seen.

Whatever the truth I think it is clear that if Remington does indeed outsell the others, it is only because the paramilitary style weapons.

As others have pointed out, they do not have a good reputation in the traditional hunting style category. Not among hunters anyway. Perhaps gun writes like the brand but everything I hear and see leads me to believe hunters are not fond of the brand.

Personally the only firearms I have seen that came from the factory with faults, even an atrocious fault in one case, were all Remington's.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-14-2018, 08:49 AM

Default Why Remington Arms is so popular top brand among Firearms?

Old 12-14-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasongraves View Post
Why Remington Arms is so popular top brand among Firearms?
Remington has been a leader in firearms, ammunition, targets, and many, many more industries since 1816. It is one of the most credible and one of the greatest manufacturers of firearms in the USA. Remington manufacturers all kinds of firearms that includes Rifles, Shotguns, Handguns, Ammunition etc. Remington Arms is also the oldest company and gun maker that still make their original product. Well, it happens to be the largest producer of rifles and shotguns in the U.S. just because of its high-end products that have been carrying their legacy from past Two Centuries! If you are planning o to buy yourself a firearm then think none other than Remington.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:17 AM

Personally not a fan of any remington out there. I hear that the older rifles were of better quality. I have looked at a few in stores and found them to have poor finishing, sloppy actions and generally poor finishes.

I hear they are great to modify. New triggers etc.

I think a large driver of their success is their price and legacy.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Are we talking all firearms, Hunting rifles, all rifles, all hunting firearms, or what?

It matters what type of gun we are discussing.

It seems that in overall firearms sales Sturm Ruger is the top producer, thanks in part to sales of their handguns. If we are talking overall rifle sales then Remington seems to be in the lead thanks to sales of their assault style weapons. If we are talking conventional hunting style rifles then it seems that Winchester is in the top position and if we are talking shotguns then Mossberg leads the pack.

And I'm sure it matters if we are talking all sales past and present. I suspect Winchester would beat out all competitors in the hunting firearm category if one were looking at overall sales over the history of smokeless powder rifles.

All the comparisons I've seen were based on current sales for the current year or just the past ten years.

At least that is what the reports I've read claimed. But we all know how numbers can be manipulated. Other publications or the manufacturers may dispute the numbers I've seen.

Whatever the truth I think it is clear that if Remington does indeed outsell the others, it is only because the paramilitary style weapons.

As others have pointed out, they do not have a good reputation in the traditional hunting style category. Not among hunters anyway. Perhaps gun writes like the brand but everything I hear and see leads me to believe hunters are not fond of the brand.

Personally the only firearms I have seen that came from the factory with faults, even an atrocious fault in one case, were all Remington's.
You are certainly on a roll with good posts this week, well said.
Remington would be well down the list for me for the same reasons.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:38 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
You are certainly on a roll with good posts this week, well said.
Remington would be well down the list for me for the same reasons.
Thank you.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-14-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Thank you.
Don’t get too big a head, it’s only one week lol
Old 12-14-2018, 11:40 AM
Banned

Why are they so popular? Well maybe despite the poor finishes, sloppiness (which isn’t always a bad thing), supposedly horrible triggers, etc, despite all of that they just plain work. Combine it with them being the most customizable rifle out there where you don’t have to use a single Remington part if you don’t want to.
In all honesty there is only one thing I don’t like about them and that’s the lack of a locking bolt safety. That’s the only reason I went away from them. And I found a solution for that from Pacific Tool and Gauge after I got my new hunting rifle.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:18 PM

Remington has always worked to the price point style of marketing. The 700 & the 870 and the various other products can be had in a lot of different grades of finish due to that. Most of their stuff is aimed to the person that shoots a couple of boxes of factory rounds in a year. The base product of the action and barrel is the same as the upper priced product, just finished and trimmed differently. And you do get what you pay for in that respect. They did stick out the trigger issue way too long, and it hurt them. And they've built some dud models of various guns, predominantly in autoloader shotguns, which hurt them.
Others have put out their share of stuff that looked nice but didn't work so well, there is a lot of stuff out there now, that people are buying because it is cheap, and then wonder why it doesn't stand up when they give it some hard use.
People talk about QC, that costs money, so they cut back on checking them all, to checking every 10, then to checking every 25 and out the door they go. And every once in a while one gets out that shouldn't have. All part of mass production and price point marketing, no matter who makes it.
I think the story on the Wolverine/Kodiak wk180c is a good example of that thought process if you read the thread on CGN about it. They wanted to market a 1000.00 retail gun, people wanted the hardware and trim of a 2000.00 gun for 1000.00.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:23 PM

Remington rifles are the 10/22 of the rifle world. You can spend thousands and thousands of dollars to trick out your Remington..but in the end you still have a Remington.
Remington's were decent rifles in the 80's but quality is not there, just run the bolt on an SPS verses an older Rem.

Stock design is poor, pressed checkering, Bluing is good but for my money there are much better options out there.

I don't modify my rifles. But for those that do then the Remington is a great lego rifle that you can swap out parts till you finally get the rifle you want.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:34 PM

Last edited by IR_mike; 12-14-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:54 PM

First rifle I bought was a 7600 Remington, love it so much so the second rifle I bought was a 700 in the same caliber. It was a tack driver, first time installing and zeroing a scope on my own, I was shooting apples at 200 yards. They’re accurate, even the pumps. I haven’t had any problems and there is a big market for aftermarket components and accessories. Plus I don’t like reinventing the wheel so to say, Remington treated me good and do there job as the tool they are, I’ll always buy Remington. Same thing about Fords, I’ll always own a ford.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
I've never understood why Remington was so popular. I guess you would have to give credit to their PR department. I do know that I have seen more Remington's fail in the field than all other brands combined. Usually its the extractor but not always. Triggers are known to have problems too.
Probably because there’s more Remis in the field than almost all other mfrs combined.😜
Old 12-14-2018, 03:02 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
Don’t get too big a head, it’s only one week lol
LOL LOL Will do.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-14-2018, 08:11 PM

I wonder if Jasongraves will have some Remingtons for sale in the buy and sell soon at bargain basement prices.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2018, 03:27 AM

These Remington threads never fail to disappoint. Much ignorance out there based in internet hearsay.

Don't like the current quality of new offerings? Buy older used then.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:13 AM

Reliable actions despite many opinions. Gunsmith opinions matter to me. People who don't own or have never shot one? Not so much.

Not the best gun out there but far from the worst and very comparable to what rolls off Winchester lower to mid range gun assembly lines these days.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
These Remington threads never fail to disappoint. Much ignorance out there based in internet hearsay.

Don't like the current quality of new offerings? Buy older used then.
Yep.
100% agreed
Old 12-15-2018, 01:55 PM

People don’t like the remingtons cause they think there cheap and crappy, but there actually pretty good for there price point. The newer Remington mountain model I have in 7mm08 shoots just as well as the tikka t3x in 270 both shoot ~3/4-1moa the tikka fan boys dont like to hear that but in my load development accuracy of both is about the same. The remingtons have amazing aftermarket support and there pretty easy to work on I’ve used trued Remington actions for a few builds now and they have turned out to be great shooters. I think there alot of misplaced fan boy brand hate out there for a few brands the Remington 700 seems to get a lot of it probably cause everyone paints them all with the same problems as the Remington 7xx budget friendly series rifles.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:51 PM

Default Oddly

The 700 design is the most copied bolt action.
It is, by design (the 3 rings of steel) despite its trigger issue, the safest rifle.
Its the rifle you want shouldered if there is a catastrophic failure, such as a plugged barrel, you will likly keep your vision.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:36 PM

Absolutist dominated the centerfure silhouette scene fir decades and still does as far as I know.
As was mentioned above, the most copied designed if bolt action around .
As far as shotguns go, the 1100 Semi auto is an outstanding design , and the Wingmaster is the highest selling pump gun of all time .
The M37 smallbore match rifle is also one of the most winning match rifles ever, possibly equaled only by the M54 Anschutz and the model 52 Winchester.
I have bought and sold, competed and hunted with many Remingtons over the years and found them to be accurate and reliable .

As far as their “ faulty” triggers go I have seen faulty triggers on several other brands of rifles and have witnessed unauthorized/ accidental discharges before .
None however, involved injuries or fatalities because the firearm was pointed in a safe direction at the time .
Cat
Old 12-16-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
The 700 design is the most copied bolt action.
It is, by design (the 3 rings of steel) despite its trigger issue, the safest rifle.
Its the rifle you want shouldered if there is a catastrophic failure, such as a plugged barrel, you will likly keep your vision.

I probably would have said Weatherby with no disrespect intended.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I probably would have said Weatherby with no disrespect intended.
you would be wrong then.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weatherby
Cat