Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-16-2014, 05:12 PM

Default Anny Savage 99 experts here?

Looking at a savage 99C series A, box magazine in .308 with weaver scope.I tried punching in the serial #C637xxx on the net and can't get manufacturing date. The letter that should be on the lever boss can't be seen. The rifle is well used, the barrel is dirty. He is asking $450.00 firm. Could somebody advise me on the reputation of this rifle in this caliber? Is it worth buying? How do they typically shoot? Anything else you guys could think of that would help me out. How can I tell if the barrel is in acceptable shape?
Thanks for the help.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:20 PM

I know very little about the 99's except that they normally shoot very well .
Most 99's I have seen are worth $450 all day long - as long as they shoot!
Cat
Old 11-16-2014, 05:31 PM
Banned

The "C" version was made in 1965 as far as I can tell. Value is between $400 to $600. CDN. Collectors that need one to fit their inventory may pay more depending on condition.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:05 PM

Great rifle and great price one of my fav hunting rifles I have. My advice buy it clean it up nice and use it you won't regret it.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:29 AM

They shoot, they are nice rifles, the only thing is they have a bit of a hard butt pad, could benefit from a slip on, also, some of the early models aren't tapped for scopes, possibly the case with this 99A.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Looking at a savage 99C series A, box magazine in .308 with weaver scope.I tried punching in the serial #C637xxx on the net and can't get manufacturing date. The letter that should be on the lever boss can't be seen. The rifle is well used, the barrel is dirty. He is asking $450.00 firm. Could somebody advise me on the reputation of this rifle in this caliber? Is it worth buying? How do they typically shoot? Anything else you guys could think of that would help me out. How can I tell if the barrel is in acceptable shape?
Thanks for the help.
I own two 99C's (Series A) in .308 both of mine were manufactured in the 80's and I'd be willing to bet yours was too. I could put you in touch with a fellow who could give you the exact year of mfg based on the SN. If you'd like, PM me and I'll tell you how to get ahold of the guy.

I've taken many, many deer, a bull moose and several elk with mine. Last fall I mounted a Swarovski 3,5-18x44 (ballistic turret) scope on my main 99C and took a really nice 6x6 buck at 495 yards with a double lung shot. I easily shot 1" and under groupings at 100 yards with this gun/scope combination.

I love that gun so much, I bought a second one..........lol...........and took a nice 5x5 buck and an elk with the "backup" in 2012.

As for value, $450 is a solid deal if it's in good shape. Dirt can be cleaned but you need to check wear on the rifling and such before you buy. You might have to take it to a gunsmith for a detailed examination of the bore. I know of one other fellow who bought a 99C and posted on here recently and there was an issue with his barrel. It can be replaced if there is.

All in all, the 99 (in any caliber) is a solid, well made, straight shooting rifle. I prefer the 99C myself as I like the removable magazine. Much easier, faster and safer to load/unload.

My previous backup rifle was a 99E in .308. I sold it to my one hunting partner last year and he took a beautiful bull moose with it at 196 yards. Just last Saturday, he brought his grandson up so he could have his first experience with hunting (he'd been up at the range with us several times last summer) and Terry nailed a nice 4x4 buck at 360 yards with his 99.

Oh, grandson was a little squeamish when I dressed the deer (I like doing it and I'm real good, and fast at it) and he first saw the blood but he's pumped about getting to hunt himself next fall..........lol
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***

Last edited by CptnBlues63; 11-18-2014 at 08:58 AM.