Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-15-2014, 02:38 PM
Banned

Default 30-30

I recently purchased a 30-30 Marlin pre 1960 off another member on this site, I realize that you get what you pay for, but there is a limit to what I presume to be the lack of honesty here. I took my chances, and paid the price..
I took this Marlin out to zero the rifle at 100 meters and found that the rounds were keyholing on the target. Granted, the rifle has most likely had many rounds down range, but the seller could have told me that the rifle "might need a new barrel".. 'nuff said about that.. Can anyone direct me to a smith in the Edmonton area who can replace this barrel? What actions can I take with rectifying this? Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
cheers..
Old 11-15-2014, 02:42 PM

Before you panic give the barrel a very good cleaning and try a diferent brand of ammo .
Old 11-15-2014, 02:45 PM
Banned

It will cost more to install a NEW barrel than it will cost to buy a new rifle,

Don't buy used crapp that you are not qualified to inspect for defects and dangers( free advice)
Old 11-15-2014, 03:04 PM

It takes a lot of rounds to shoot the barrel out of a 30-30. I would clean the barrel using a proper rod, brushes and solvents, and then try a different load. As for having the gun rebarreled, the cost would be more than some new 30-30 rifles.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:06 PM

This is almost a ridiculous statement but is there any chance it is a 32 Special? If it is the bullet will drop easily into the muzzle.

Is the crown damaged or the rifling near the muzzle gone from cleaning rod wear? This could be repaired on many rifles.

I had a Lee Enfield that shot terribly until I gave it a good clean. It had copper and lead fouling. Night and day difference!

You could make it a dedicated cast bullet shooter and use a bullet sized to match your bore. Most rifles shoot best with a larger than groove cast bullet anyways.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:37 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Key holing or was that three shots nicely just touching? All kidding aside clean the bugger really well, always start with the easiest fixes.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-15-2014, 05:41 PM

To add to the other good advice it might have some damage at the barrel crown, if so this would be an easy fix for a 'smith to perform.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:14 AM
Banned

When I brought the rifle home after the purchase, I stripped it down and put some sweets 762 down the pipe until those patches were white, and boy was it a mess! I'm thinking that maybe the Hornady 160 gn leverevolution were the fault. I'm going to load up some 170 gn sierra round nose and see how these do. Having not much experience loading 30-30 rounds, should I be loading to max cart length? seating the bullets out almost to the rifling? I checked the barrel stampings and the rifle is 30 cal. the crown looks fine as well.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:25 AM

How big are your groups? I would not expect bolt action groups from a lever.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:28 AM

I would load to a factory ammo OAL, to ensure easy feeding thru the action. I wouldn't try to make it a magnum either. 30-30 was never intended as a long range shooter.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykuch View Post
How big are your groups? I would not expect bolt action groups from a lever.
At 100 meters they were 12" pretty poor for a rifle but not for a mortar or a hand grenade....lol
Old 11-18-2014, 07:53 AM

Miccro-groove barrel by chance? Seen some that would not shoot to well.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim summit View Post
Miccro-groove barrel by chance? Seen some that would not shoot to well.
Yep, she has microgrooves. I'm going to research this and see if a rebarreling is needed. granted, it will cost more than the rifle is worth, but I like the challenge.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:35 AM

Try a box of Winchester 170gr. they seem to shoot well out of any 30-30.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
Yep, she has microgrooves. I'm going to research this and see if a rebarreling is needed. granted, it will cost more than the rifle is worth, but I like the challenge.
Numerich Arms sells drop in, make and caliber specific factory original replacement barrels. The U.S. price on them i$70-$80. The Canadian price will be slightly more but it shouldn't be a whole bunch more. You may want to check with IRGUNs and see if they will bring one up if there are none available here or the price is too high. A good smith can change the barrel out very easily in a model 94 or Marlin 336.

http://www.irunguns.com/

The advise to clean well and try a box of factory Winchester 170s is good advice before going to the expense of re-barreling.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
When I brought the rifle home after the purchase, I stripped it down and put some sweets 762 down the pipe until those patches were white, and boy was it a mess! I'm thinking that maybe the Hornady 160 gn leverevolution were the fault. I'm going to load up some 170 gn sierra round nose and see how these do. Having not much experience loading 30-30 rounds, should I be loading to max cart length? seating the bullets out almost to the rifling? I checked the barrel stampings and the rifle is 30 cal. the crown looks fine as well.
Your coal is limited being a tube feb you can only seat to the canalure for crimping
Above comment about it being a 32special came to mind for me also are you 100% its a 30-30
Old 11-19-2014, 10:29 AM

I got ripped off by a long standing member here that had a good and long "trader" history for over $600.00. Hope his daughter is enjoying the rifle . It is a decent system but I learned my lesson and will be much more cautious from now on.

Face to face is always best if at all possible.

Other than that one episode, I've dealt with honest folks here.

IMO, the guy should make it right for you even if he didn't know there was an issue with the gun.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:30 AM

The guy I bought my Marlin microgroove from said not to bother with the leverevolution ammo. I tried a box and he was right. It groups much better with 150 or 170 RN ammo.