Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2017, 07:23 AM

Default Things to do on Oahu?

My wife and i are headed to Oahu for a week on Sunday, and with no idea what to expect, i figured I’d ask the forum for advice from people who have been there.
What are the “must see” things to do?
Of course, as a history buff, I’ll be going to see all the pearl harbour stuff on the anniversary of the attacks, but other than that - what does a guy do?
We’ve gone to a few all inclusive resorts in Mexico, Jamaica and Cuba, but this will be my first time in Hawaii.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:56 AM

Oohhh you are lucky! Can I come? ;-)
Our favourites are Kualoa Ranch (horseback riding, Jungle tour and movie tour), Waimea falls, North Shore (Triple Crown Surfing might be over though), Dole Plantation was fun, Hanauma Bay is cool (go early!), fav beaches are Waimanalo and Kailua, if you like outdoorsy stuff (which I assume) check out the botanical gardens, for history don't forget downtown (palace etc), stay away from Waikiki if you hate crowds,...

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 12-01-2017, 07:56 AM

That's easy, ditch the wife at a craft store or market place or whatever, and check out the beaches for wahines

Whatever you do, don't get sucked in to going to a time share presentation for the offer of a free car rental or other enticement
Old 12-01-2017, 08:18 AM

Hey, I hear there's a beach nearby. :-)

An outrigger ride is fun

We were there a number of years ago around this time , and of course Christmas decorations are up.

It was weird seeing/thinking Christmas in such a tropical atmosphere .
One good sized display had Santa and sleigh being pulled by dolphins.

But the thing that I got a good chuckle from, was when I walked past a parking lot , that was full of pine Christmas trees with a stereotypical type Jamaican guy trying to convince me to buy one of his $ 100 Charlie Brown trees.

Re Pearl Harbour .... expect to be up and active very early if you're expecting to get any sort of parking anywhere near there or even a tour bus ride .

The place gets busy early . If you want on to the Arizona Memorial , do that first .

And if you're into snorkeling, then check out " Hanauma Bay "

The other thing I wasn't expecting was that sunset around there is about 5:30 ish , so by 6, it's dark.

Whatever you do , plan your time well , cause it goes quick .
Old 12-01-2017, 08:56 AM

Default Make sure they know you are a Canadian

They are more like us than the Americans, they were British subjects up until recently (somewhat recently I guess) and still think well of Captain Cook.

We bought yellow fin tuna from kids in the mall parking lot and BBQed it at the motel, very good with New Zealand Beer. There may be some cool sailboats in the harbour too.

I don't do much of the tourist stuff but we had a good time. I did visit the lonely spot where Cook was killed and paid my respects to the great sailor.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:05 AM

If you are so inclined I think Oahu has the best flats fishing in Hawaii... bonefish.
You can also apparently hunt deer or wild boar. You can hunt the latter with an outfitter using a gun, bow, or "dog and knife". yowza!. Under a grand.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post

We bought yellow fin tuna from kids in the mall parking lot and BBQed it at the motel, very good with New Zealand Beer. There may be some cool sailboats in the harbour too.e great sailor.
Buying fish from kids in a parking lot is way too big a risk for this ol' fart.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post

I don't do much of the tourist stuff but we had a good time. I did visit the lonely spot where Cook was killed and paid my respects to the great sailor.
Captain Cook was killed on Kona Island. So OP do not look for this spot on Oahu.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskra View Post
Captain Cook was killed on Kona Island. So OP do not look for this spot on Oahu.
Or do, if you want to burn up your time!

I'd recommend the Polynesian Cultural Centre... Some neat stuff there.

Also, don't forget the ABC Store. You'll get it when you get there
Old 12-02-2017, 07:45 AM

I don't know what you Like to Do, But i went in May, Golfed Turtle Bay Palmer Course which was incredible. Hanama Bay (Guarantee that is not how you spell it) is really nice. I went Zip Lining With Climb Works on the North Shore which was really fun as Well.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:14 AM

https://www.discoverhawaiitours.com/...or-experience/

For Pearl book with these guys for the complete experience as they say. It is a full day but sailing past the huge lineups in the tour bus makes every penny worth it. You see everything, stop for a great lunch, and is the BEST way to do it. Guided tour but lots of free time to roam around the Missouri etc on your own. Took the wife along who hates history and she loved it..and when you see just how nice the base is you will be blown away.

We rented wheels and toured the whole island, very nice drive once out of Honolulu and there are many places to see. North shores very rough, quite the difference. Side of the road fish trucks are a must stop.

Dole pineapple plantation is worth a look, its pretty impressive and the fresh pineapple ice cream incredible. The place is huge and worth a visit.

Huanama Bay or whatever was great too, easy calm waters to wade into and nice beach.

Missed Diamondhead, which others say is interesting, and I was going to find the house Magnum PI was shot at (gated off, in court dispute) just for nostalgia sake but never did.

I have travelled to many tropical destinations and I have NEVER liked one as much as Hawaii..I get why people live there, it is something special. The people are generally very relaxed and quite different than say, LA. Enjoy it, my week went way too fast!

PS if you ever want to do a helicopter tour, this is the place to do it...worth every penny. A MUST DO!

http://www.bluehawaiian.com/
Old 12-02-2017, 08:54 AM

I went to Maui this last April, I flew to Oahu by myself on a Thursday to do Pearl and flew back that evening.

I didn't do it with a tour company. I booked a "Heart of the Missouri" tour ahead of time (the first one of the day, 9 a.m. maybe). Got to the gates when they opened, got my time slot for the Arizona memorial, took the first bus over to the Missouri (Was first one on the ship). The heart of the Missouri tour was awesome and I would definitely recommend. It was just me, one other and the guide who was a retired Navy vet and a great tour guide.

By the time the tour was done the Mighty Mo was busy busy. I then went to the aviation museum, which was busy but no lines or anything, I ate lunch there. Then I took the bus back over, did the Bowfin (not busy) and the museums (not busy) around it before taking the final ride of the day to the Arizona Memorial (not busy).

I would recommend doing it how I did. I don't like organized tours with big groups as I like doing thing at my pace and seeing the things I want to see and skipping the ones I don't. By planning ahead (Thursday was the slowest day according to google) getting there first thing ect. I didn't wait in any lines, nor did I have to wait on any person. It was a fantastic day. Just as a heads up, I was not burdened by anyone, nor did I wait in lines, and I only had about 10 min down time all day for lunch; I still could have spent several more hours there. With the crowds that are bound to be there on an anniversary I doubt you will come close to seeing it all.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:10 AM

Diamond Head hike

Surf lesson at Waikiki. Tell the beach photographer to get photos of you and your wife. Get the CD.

Pearl Harbour museum.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-02-2017, 09:37 AM

Pearl Harbor and the Missouri are a must. Lot's to do. We did a circle tour of the whole island. Guide was great with lots of history and stories. The Iolani Palace is amazing to see also.Check it out.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:15 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD111 View Post
https://www.discoverhawaiitours.com/...or-experience/

For Pearl book with these guys for the complete experience as they say. It is a full day but sailing past the huge lineups in the tour bus makes every penny worth it. You see everything, stop for a great lunch, and is the BEST way to do it. Guided tour but lots of free time to roam around the Missouri etc on your own. Took the wife along who hates history and she loved it..and when you see just how nice the base is you will be blown away.

We rented wheels and toured the whole island, very nice drive once out of Honolulu and there are many places to see. North shores very rough, quite the difference. Side of the road fish trucks are a must stop.

Dole pineapple plantation is worth a look, its pretty impressive and the fresh pineapple ice cream incredible. The place is huge and worth a visit.

Huanama Bay or whatever was great too, easy calm waters to wade into and nice beach.

Missed Diamondhead, which others say is interesting, and I was going to find the house Magnum PI was shot at (gated off, in court dispute) just for nostalgia sake but never did.

I have travelled to many tropical destinations and I have NEVER liked one as much as Hawaii..I get why people live there, it is something special. The people are generally very relaxed and quite different than say, LA. Enjoy it, my week went way too fast!

PS if you ever want to do a helicopter tour, this is the place to do it...worth every penny. A MUST DO!

http://www.bluehawaiian.com/
THANKS FOR THE INFO
Old 12-02-2017, 06:18 PM
Banned

https://www.waimeavalley.net/
Bring your camera...the beauty of this place is mind boggling
Old 12-03-2017, 09:41 AM

Stay outta the water after sunset and before sunrise.
the locals have a deal with the sharks to regarding surfing between those hours.
Surfs Up !
Aloha !
Rob
Old 12-03-2017, 11:40 AM

Thanks guys!! We’re in LA for a layover - just long enough for lunch.
I’ll try to get some good pics, and definitely try a bunch of the things suggested on here!
Old 12-03-2017, 11:57 AM
Banned

Arrow

Make sure you visit all the ABC stores.........on every corner. They all sell the same thing tourist junk and are on every corner.

Pearl Harbor

Luau : lots of fun and great food/drink.

https://www.gohawaii.com/islands/oah...ctivities/Luau

Midnight cruise around the island
Old 12-03-2017, 12:17 PM

Don't forget to collect rocks also. Lots of very cool volcanic rocks on the island. Beach cobbles with olivine are my favs.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-03-2017, 04:15 PM

Or you could camo up the the wife and go hunting for axis deer, wild boar or wild goats.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-03-2017, 09:47 PM

I really wish I would have hired a local guide and done the "stairway to heaven" hike in the dark and waited for the sun to rise for some great photos.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Don't forget to collect rocks also. Lots of very cool volcanic rocks on the island. Beach cobbles with olivine are my favs.
Uhoh that angers Pele!

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 12-04-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
Uhoh that angers Pele!
Why would he care?
Old 12-04-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Why would he care?
Not sure about him but she does get angry:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pele_(deity)

Old 12-04-2017, 09:13 AM

more on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pele%27s_Curse

Old 12-04-2017, 01:04 PM

Rent a car and get out of Honolulu. To me Waikiki just like any other US city. Lots of stores, shops, restaurants...worth spending a day walking around...but not at all what Hawaii is.

Head out of Honolulu drive SE along the coast all the way around to Haleiwa. Lots of stops, sight seeing all long the way. Do some research.

Stopping at Giovannis shrimp truck for lunch is an absolute must. Also make sure you stop along the north shore to watch the surfers. If you are lucky there might even be a competition during your visit.

Spend time walking around the town of Haleiwa. On the way back south from Haleiwa stop at the Pineapple plantation. Inexpensive and definitely worth some your time. Have the ice cream!!

There is not much on the northwest coast past Kapolei. There some resorts up in Kapolei (Disneys Aulani). A popular, decent Luau that I can't remember the name of, something to consider.

Getting out on the water is a must. Consider a nice diner/sunset cruise, whale watching trip, or fishing.

I've been to Oahu, Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island. Oahu is to me the least "Hawaiian" of those aforementioned 4 only because of commercialized feel and size of Honolulu.

Where are you staying or more importantly what area?

Last edited by thing; 12-04-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
Uhoh that angers Pele!
LOL

For the superstitious. I am not one of them. In fact last trip I brought back about 60 lbs of rocks. Previous about 80 lbs. Brought 120 lbs back from Newfoundland. First trip about 15 years ago I brought back about 30 lbs worth. Freaked out when I had to put it through the first scanner by the road. Dude didn't even flinch. Last time my son's bag was opened. Had about 30 lbs of rocks in their. They just wanted to confirm they were rocks.

Next time I go to Hawaii I am going to bring some reservoir sandstone rock with oil staining and pyrobitumen and leave it where the local geology students can find it.

There are lots of very cool rocks. Some super light. Other very heavy. Depends on which type of lava the rock came from.

There is no curse except from the wife if the weight of the rocks damages the roller wheels. Ops...learned that the hard way.

In some areas there are carvers that work the volcanic rock into sculptures for purchase.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:18 PM

When I was on Maui I really wanted to go shark fishing. The only charters I could find for shark were on Oahu. There's a 3 hour night fishing charter for sharks which might be worth looking into.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
If you are so inclined I think Oahu has the best flats fishing in Hawaii... bonefish.
You can also apparently hunt deer or wild boar. You can hunt the latter with an outfitter using a gun, bow, or "dog and knife". yowza!. Under a grand.
Well we are heading there in February and I now can't wait! These will be priority 1 and 2 in no particular order. Lol