Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-25-2011, 11:45 PM

Default New To Ice Fishing Big Lakes?

I have been ice fishing since I was little, but always at small lakes (Phyllis, Dickson Dam etc) This year I would like to get into fishing some bigger lake for perch, whitefish and walleye. I have caught tons of small 5-6 inch perch but would like to catch some bigger 10-12 inchers as well as some whitefish or walleye. We have more then enough gear to get it done. Anyways if you could give me any tips, lure/jigs, lakes, times etc. I do not want to know your lake X or anything just some info that will help me start to catch bigger fish. I am will to travel up to 2 1/2 hours from Calgary. I have attached a picture of some small fish I have caught like I said. Thanks
Trap

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle
Old 10-26-2011, 10:27 AM

Little small to keep, Don't ya think?....

If your targetting perch on a big lake, drill a grid of holes at differentt depths. Hole hopping is usually a must when targeting jumbo perch.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Banned

Not a big lake but the OP states that there are 10" perch in there. Right in Calgary too!

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=108913
Old 10-26-2011, 01:56 PM

pidgeon lake. park at mullhurst and drag your gear 100-300 meters out on the ice directly from the Cafe' and the town. set up, drill a hole, and throw a garbage bag over yourself [you literally get HD vision down the hole] set up a small rod like the one in your pictures with a smelt and then hand-jig with a wireworm for nonstop whites. you gotta be in the zone though you will know when your looking down the hole and see alot of rocks and some scattered weeds that you are in the right spot.

my usual spot where I drill down almost every year there is an old "GULP!" bait jar at the bottom I see it almost every time im out and that spot is on FIRE expecially 7:00am-noon for whites you see one cruise by atleast every 5 minutes and every second fish will inhale your wire worm! Have also seen some scary sized pike cruise by my hole [never been able to get them to bite though!]
and also catch the odd 3lb walleye with the smelt. Usually most of the action is by hand with the wire worm though. Look into buying a good quality tip-up or also look into maybe making your own self-hook-setting rig.

Good luck and remember, if the spot your at is skunked just move along..

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 10-26-2011, 06:47 PM

Also if one of you guys is willing to have my Dad and I join you for the day it would be great, we could meet you out their or anything.

Lethal Prostaff Member
Old 10-26-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayingfish View Post
Little small to keep, Don't ya think?....

If your targetting perch on a big lake, drill a grid of holes at differentt depths. Hole hopping is usually a must when targeting jumbo perch.
Hahahaha you are starting to pick up what I have been throwing down. To bad you have a tank of an auger. You better make sure to get a few trips in before I am able to get back out on the ice or its game over bud.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapshooter View Post
Also if one of you guys is willing to have my Dad and I join you for the day it would be great, we could meet you out their or anything.
If you are willing to wait until the new year sometime and drive a few hours I am sure that guitarplayinfish and myself could show you things we have learned about catching some perch or trout.

Better make sure that you are dressed for the occasion. We have had a few frosty days on the ice and don't tend to leave very quick.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
If you are willing to wait until the new year sometime and drive a few hours I am sure that guitarplayinfish and myself could show you things we have learned about catching some perch or trout.

Better make sure that you are dressed for the occasion. We have had a few frosty days on the ice and don't tend to leave very quick.
We ice fish from the end of Nov to the end of March so thats ok, we have ice suits and insulated gear as well as an ice hut + HEATER

Lethal Prostaff Member